• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Alan McCormack Problem

SUFC-3lliot

Members

I think we have all had Alan McCormack long enough to know that he is a serious issue for Southend. I just want to cover the facts to make sure everyone agrees with me and then we'll get on to discussing other things.

The GOOD about Alan McCormack

- The man is a scorer of great goals.
- Alan is a good playmaker.
- Good benchwarmer.

The BAD about Alan McCormack

- The guy can't keep his mouth shut.
- Spends a lot of time suspended.
- Slightly injury prone.
- Can't drop anything, if he gets hacked by a player he will go and seek a way of hacking him back as a first priority.
- Swears at fans.

Agree? Disagree?

Perhaps Preston felt that the bad outweighed the good and the possibilty of finishing a game with ten man as we have done on more than a couple of occasions wasn't worth the risk.

Perhaps Preston felt that the bad outweighed the good and the possibilty of finishing a game with ten man as we have done on more than a couple of occasions wasn't worth the risk.

Bailey - red
Clarke (L) - red
Richards - red

Not all Macca......

Richards red rescinded.

Still had 10 men on the pitch tho which is what I was eluding to.

Macca is 100% passion and if you remove it all from his game he probably would not have been signed.

I think his tough tackling, no nonsense approach is pretty good and I enjoy watching him.

Like most players he should button it sometimes but then so should the others. On another day Maher would have got booked for going on and on at the ref today. The ref today got it spot on. Thought he was the best thing on the pitch (well apart from the Blue Belles obviously :p ).

The biggest problem with Maca is where to play him. For me his best position is central midfield but if Tilly wants Maher and Baily in the side, Macca has to move over and you end up with 75% of his best game.

Tilly needs tobite the bullet and play Macca and Baily in the middle and leave Kev out for a while.

Nothing against the skipper, but the other two give us the same aggression but more going forward.

The biggest problem with Maca is where to play him. For me his best position is central midfield but if Tilly wants Maher and Baily in the side, Macca has to move over and you end up with 75% of his best game.

Tilly needs tobite the bullet and play Macca and Baily in the middle and leave Kev out for a while.

Nothing against the skipper, but the other two give us the same aggression but more going forward.

Agreed....much prefer Macca breaking up play in the middle of the park and going forward. Hes got a good shot on him aswell which is wasted being stuck out on the wing.

If you listen to the Tilson interview one of the reasons Leon is not here is because he NOT like McCormack. He cares and is committed and we need another 10 like him in the side

Re Alan

I think we have all had Alan McCormack long enough to know that he is a serious issue for Southend. I just want to cover the facts to make sure everyone agrees with me and then we'll get on to discussing other things.

The GOOD about Alan McCormack

- The man is a scorer of great goals.
- Alan is a good playmaker.
- Good benchwarmer.

The BAD about Alan McCormack

- The guy can't keep his mouth shut.
- Spends a lot of time suspended.
- Slightly injury prone.
- Can't drop anything, if he gets hacked by a player he will go and seek a way of hacking him back as a first priority.
- Swears at fans.

Agree? Disagree?
I THINK HE PLAYS BETTER IN THE MIDDLE FOR STARTERS

As for the swearing at fans. I have no problem with that. As I see it he is reacting to what is being said to him and if you don't want to be sworn at then you shouldn't swear at the players in the first place.

He is a great player and if we got him last summer rather than in january we might have stayed up.

I want to give the original poster Green rep just for his use of html formatting in the message to make his point.

For all of McCormack's attributes, his discipline is obviously a problem. Yes I agree, take away his tenacity and no-nonesense approach and Macca will be worse off for it.
However, sometimes a players hard-work and tendency to steam into tackles clouds over their overall contribution for many people. Covering 20 yards before sliding on your backside, only to miss the ball isn't good midfield play - it may look good, but that's all. Unfortunately this, on occasion, applies to Alan McCormack.

i disagree with the original poster as he has the title the alan mccormack problem but from my viewpoint there is no problem with him
conversation closed

Theres no problem with McCormack... he and Maher and anyone else are entitled to answer back to those who criticise them! They give there all for this club!!! Its terrible that under the current climate a bad half sees the boo boys on their backs.

to be honest, if i had been one of our best players this season and had a quiet period in a team game where the rest of the team were equally ****......i would be ****ed off if someone laid into me and i would give it back

Macca is the least of our current problems IMO. I never abuse individual players, as i would expect to be abused back.

Completely disagree, Macca actually looked like he cared today unlike some of the other players out there.

He is the least of our worries.

keen observers will have noted that Macca was actually calming others down today wen they were flying in for tackles.

Back