• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Alan McCormack Problem

love macca and how he never bottles a tackle (unlike a lot of players in the team), we all know he flys of the handle but hopefully he will get passed that. was surprised to hear he got a lot of abuse, from what i have read on here he didn;t have his best game today. was also surprised that the fans turned on him when in my opinion there are other players who are ahead of him with this of thing, but for him to swear at fans is not on. its part of his job, he has to do deal with. every player does.

Last edited:
If fans are man enough to hurl abuse from the safety of their mob then they shouldn't start crying if they get abuse back. It's all fair game as far as I'm concerned.

If fans are man enough to hurl abuse from the safety of their mob then they shouldn't start crying if they get abuse back. It's all fair game as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really agree on this. I was sat in the vague area of McCormack's reaction but not close enough to hear anything he may have sprcifically heard or whatever he shouted back. As a result, I can't comment on the content of the exchange.

However, the reason he was getting some stick was because he didn't even bother to challenge for a ball right in front of that was in the air for ages. To be honest, I didn't think he'd been up to his high standards all game and the huge improvement in his performance after the exchange rather backed this up.

He has the ability to lift the team but he was playing at such a pedestrian pace up to the incident today, we were barely roused.

I completely disagree with the small contingent booing him after the incident and I'm not entirely sure shouting off at what appeared to be most of the block's what I want to see from a player either. However, I still thought he was below par for most of today and it seemed to give him a kick up the ***. Good to see that sort of reaction from a player frankly.

I think we have all had Alan McCormack long enough to know that he is a serious issue for Southend. I just want to cover the facts to make sure everyone agrees with me and then we'll get on to discussing other things.

The GOOD about Alan McCormack

- The man is a scorer of great goals.
- Alan is a good playmaker.
- Good benchwarmer.

The BAD about Alan McCormack

- The guy can't keep his mouth shut.
- Spends a lot of time suspended.
- Slightly injury prone.
- Can't drop anything, if he gets hacked by a player he will go and seek a way of hacking him back as a first priority.
- Swears at fans.

Agree? Disagree?
Perhaps it was 3lliot that Macca swore at:eek:
Yes he gets booked and yes he likes to get revenge, but the guy is class so leave him be!:guns:

There is no problem with Macca ..... he pays for a private pod in Mayhem witha couple of other "big shot " players in Mayhem .... drinks too much gives it the big " I am " and falls over ... No problem ....... ( all allegedley of course !)

There is no problem with Macca ..... he pays for a private pod in Mayhem witha couple of other "big shot " players in Mayhem .... drinks too much gives it the big " I am " and falls over ... No problem ....... ( all allegedley of course !)

Played like he was ****ed today!

Perhaps it was 3lliot that Macca swore at:eek:
Yes he gets booked and yes he likes to get revenge, but the guy is class so leave him be!:guns:

No, but I got a ball in the chest off of him in pre-match training to games ago. Alan watched it hit me, and just turned around and walked off. I'm only 14, mean b*stard!

I think we have all had Alan McCormack long enough to know that he is a serious issue for Southend. I just want to cover the facts to make sure everyone agrees with me and then we'll get on to discussing other things.

Totally disagree! McCormack is part of the solution, not the problem.

The GOOD about Alan McCormack
- The man is a scorer of great goals.
- Alan is a good playmaker.
- Good benchwarmer.

You missed out tenacious tackler, box-to-box player, 100% honest!

The BAD about Alan McCormack

- The guy can't keep his mouth shut.
- Spends a lot of time suspended.
- Slightly injury prone.
- Can't drop anything, if he gets hacked by a player he will go and seek a way of hacking him back as a first priority.
- Swears at fans.

Agree? Disagree?

Obviously I disagree. McCormack was one of the few players in this squad to hold his head with pride in the Championship. He had a bad half today and looked to be spurred on by an exchange with the fans. Lets not pis5 this bloke off too eh?

No, but I got a ball in the chest off of him in pre-match training to games ago. Alan watched it hit me, and just turned around and walked off. I'm only 14, mean b*stard!

So you decided to come on here and start a campaign against him? You'd have been better off coming on and saying "Macca hit me with the ball and didn't say sorry"; you might have got a more sympathetic response.

Macca gets into the trouble he does because of one simple thing, his passion and his competitiveness, without players like him a team isn't half what it could be. Obviously every player can go a little over the top sometimes, i would say swearing at fans is over the top because of this is professional football, and he needs to conduct himself better then that, but on the other hand...Would you turn your back and ignore it if someone was shouting abuse at you.

Thought he was quite justified tbh. Considering he's been played out of position in a team that half the time look as if they've missed training for a week, I think he's one of our better players. Passion for the game will always be part of his make up and while I believe he does need to learn when to button it and when not to do a two footed lunge, I wouldn't really have him any other way.

Maybe the real issue is that Tilly cannot lay down enough discipline hence we are constantly playing with ten men.

Think thats bang on the money. If Tilly comes across to the players anything like he does during his interviews then its no wonder there is a lack of discipline.

McCormack may be a little OTT sometimes but his passion is what makes him the player he is.

Back