• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Loved the huge cheer when Slough Town got drawn at home and the groan when they got Rochdale!

Not sure who they were hoping for!

2013 we won there.

My mind was playing tricks on me. I don't remember that match at all!

Totally depressed on Saturday absolutely delighted we did after missing getting Port Vale,especially as they got Worrall in their side.Also the depressing place I ever been to.:thumbsup:

Port Vale 0-1 Southend United – Saturday 10[SUP]th[/SUP]December 1938

MATCH REPORT
(17[SUP]th[/SUP] December 1938) :

Just back from visiting the Vale. Smokey old place, the Potteries. Not for the likes of me.
A great result for the boys. Good on you lads and three cheers for the trainer and chairman, C.N.NEWITT esq.

Jolly fine chaps.

RATINGS
:

MacKenzie (Goalkeeper) 10 – Made a splendid save by throwing his cap on the ball in a goalmouth melee. Otherwise, spent the match leaning on his goalpost smoking a packet of Woodbines.

Milne (Right-Back) 10 – Kept getting his boots stuck in the mud, but otherwise made the Vale Left-Half look a right pansy.

Robinson (Left-Back) 10 – Young fella me lad wasn’t scared to get a good tackle in. Especially in the second-half. Nearly broke his leg clearing the ball upfield, as it weighed a ton by then.

Harris (Right-Half) 10 – A good signing for two shillings from Clapton Orient. Spritely chap, as well.

Hague (Centre-Half) 10 – Had to have treatment from the assistant trainer after heading the ball away from a corner. He looked a bit dizzy, but still gets 10/10 for being a good honest fella.

Bushby (Centre-Half) 10 – Went up for a corner in the second-half and we didn’t see him again at our end for 10 minutes. That Vale pitch is one of the biggest in the country. Came over at the end and signed my rattle and programme with his ink pen. Top lad.

Smirk (Left-Half) 10 – Bamboozled the hapless Vale Right-Back with his trickery and wizardry.

Bolan (Inside-Right) 10 – This fella doesn’t know when to stop running. We passed him on the A11 running home.

Trainer (Centre-Forward) 10 – He scored our goal when the keeper caught a corner and he barged him into the goal. Hurrah!

Ball (Centre-Forward) 10 – Never touched the ball in the entire match, but he’s a fine chap, so 10/10 for him.

Muncie (Inside-Left) 10 – This chap can play. Made the Vale defence look a right bunch of charlies. He could go on to play for a big football club like Preston North End or Grimsby Town.

SUBS :

They don’t exist yet. The Football League say we might be able to have one after the war, which they predict is going to happen soon. They know things, that Football League.

REFEREE :

The Rt Hon Dickie Johnson 6 – He was a right bleedin cowson. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a communist. He gave us the goal, I suppose, when other referees would have called the boys in blue and reported an assault, so he gets a mark for that.

OVERALL :

I like our 4-2-4 system that every football team plays. I have to say.

They made the draw for the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Round when we were travelling home. We heard it on the wireless. We’ve got Chesterfield away. I predict the first match will be abandoned after 73 minutes and the next will be a draw. We will tan their backsides in the replay, before losing to Blackburn Rovers in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP]Round.

Cheerio, all.

Last edited:
So, Billericay Town v Leatherhead is live on BT Sport on Thursday evening.

Another great evening, there, at Gigg Lane for the all-spending Shakers! :smile:

CP Quote:

Brown: "It doesn't really mean much now but we've had confirmation from the PGMOL that our goal at Yeovil should not have been disallowed."

CP Quote:

Brown: "It doesn't really mean much now but we've had confirmation from the PGMOL that our goal at Yeovil should not have been disallowed."

Yep perfectly good goal disallowed, very sneaky of the Yeovil player to get away with the push on Cox.
What with the lucky Gillingham penalty against us as well this season, we could do with some luck on our side for a change.

Back