• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
I have never seen a thread on SZ that relates to the sacking of Dave Smith and his rather incredible reaction.
Either I spent the Summer of '83 in a drunken haze? Or our manager was fired - but amazingly ignored the sacking and turned up to work for a period of time.
Anyone remember a balding guy with curly locks walking through the main entrance, saying "hello" to his former staff and going up to the office marked "Manager" - way after he had been controversially sacked?? Totally and utterly ignoring his P45, the search for a replacement and the fact that he had no official authority? Yet sitting behind the desk as though nothing had happened?
Dave smith - great bloke and crazy legend.

Could only happen at Roots Hall!

Crazy times. The Rubin brothers sold out to dodgy Anton Johnson, he dismissed the popular Dave Smith whilst he was on holiday in Tenerife. Dave Smith comes back and does a lock-in, in the Managers office, Lol. He successfully sued the club for damages. Johnson replaces D.Smith with Peter Morris who only lasted to February, to be replaced by the already lined up Bobby Moore. We get relegated from Division 3. Anton Johnon gets ousted and banned from any involvement in football, after he was found to be owner of 2 clubs instead of one permitted. He had previously run Rotherham into the ground, but still owned them when purchasing Southend, and was found guilty of financial malpractice at both clubs. Next season our worst ever I think as we finish 20th in Division 4. Average crowds of 2000. Can you imagine the moaning if Shrimperzone was around in those dark days? The silly experiment with Rugby League being played at Roots hall didn't work either. It ruined the pitch, and had silly lines from the rugby still on it on football days. Just 85 paying people watched the rugby game between Southend Invicta and Huddersfield. A disaster what with the football crowds and rugby mistake, SUFC were leaking money all over the place.

Crazy times. The Rubin brothers sold out to dodgy Anton Johnson, he dismissed the popular Dave Smith whilst he was on holiday in Tenerife. Dave Smith comes back and does a lock-in, in the Managers office, Lol. He successfully sued the club for damages. Johnson replaces D.Smith with Peter Morris who only lasted to February, to be replaced by the already lined up Bobby Moore. We get relegated from Division 3. Anton Johnon gets ousted and banned from any involvement in football, after he was found to be owner of 2 clubs instead of one permitted. He had previously run Rotherham into the ground, but still owned them when purchasing Southend, and was found guilty of financial malpractice at both clubs. Next season our worst ever I think as we finish 20th in Division 4. Average crowds of 2000. Can you imagine the moaning if Shrimperzone was around in those dark days? The silly experiment with Rugby League being played at Roots hall didn't work either. It ruined the pitch, and had silly lines from the rugby still on it on football days. Just 85 paying people watched the rugby game between Southend Invicta and Huddersfield. A disaster what with the football crowds and rugby mistake, SUFC were leaking money all over the place.

Oh those wonderful memories. I recall watching us lose 6-2 at Aldershot in the Moore era. That was another highlight:smile:

As for Smiffy, top man, and at age 82 I hear is still going strong down in Devon.

Used to live in Thorpe Hall Avenue.His daughter Nicola ,sadly died through drugs.

I got to know Dave Smith and he was a good and passionate man. Yes, Nicola travelled to away games on the coach after he dad's time as manager. She was a wild thing and yes, sadly passed.
The Anton Johnson days made Ron Martin look like an angel from above.

One wonders how on earth the club recovered from that. It was about then I stopped going for a couple of years because it was absolutely dire in every respect.

To be fair...I think Vic Jobson did the almost impossible and turned the club around. Vic had few PR skills and was never popula but had something about him and took the club from the most shambolic and embarrassing mess - to the second tier.

I started going in 1978 and Smith was the only manager I had known at Southend and I thought he was superb. I was mascot towards the end of the 1982/3 season and sat on the bench with Smith. As an 11 year old I was devastated when the echo was delivered through my parents door with the news of Smith being sacked.

To be fair...I think Vic Jobson did the almost impossible and turned the club around. Vic had few PR skills and was never popula but had something about him and took the club from the most shambolic and embarrassing mess - to the second tier.
All of which was unfortunately forgotten as he fell apart whilst trying to keep us in the second tier. this day and age he would have been able to sell up to some wealthy overseas investor , walk away with his reputation intact and a pocketful of money and watch whist the clueless investor took the club back down (hello orient etc)
Not dissimilar to Cowlings dilemma up the a 12

Used to live in Thorpe Hall Avenue.His daughter Nicola ,sadly died through drugs.

That's a bit misleading. I believe she took a deliberate overdose of prescription drugs which damaged her liver. Sadly she did it to escape a violent and abusive partner.

Dave Smith lives in Torquay. Herman and his wife still pop in to visit him whenever they are down that way, as she was best friends with Nicky.

Apparently Dave is still in good form and still comes out with some inside football stories.

Remember Nicky and Herman's Good Lady travelling to away games in the early Eighties, with us.

Good times.

Great to hear Dave is still fighting fit and in touch with the club, through Herman and others.

Loved Dave Smith , my first manager as a fan. Met him at the Odeon when he was a guest for the first showing of Escape to Victory" ( If Carlsberg did 11 yr old boy's nights eh ??)

Anyway , as a certified legend of the Club , if he's still fit enough to travel does the Club or maybe Shrimper Trust have a plan to bring him to a match and maybe do Q&A or presentation ??

Please let this happen before it's too late , we've had too many of instances of "if only they knew how much they were loved " lately .

Maybe Dave Smith should write a book - I'm sure he has sufficient stories to tell.

Would be far more interesting than Anton Johnson's I suspect. What a bizarre time that was and I suspect Johnson is still in denial

And back again.

Remember Nicky and Herman's Good Lady travelling to away games in the early Eighties, with us.

Good times.

Great to hear Dave is still fighting fit and in touch with the club, through Herman and others.

Just to add to the tragic story about Nicky....That summer Dave had landed his dream job back in his home town of Dundee after his successful few years with Plymouth. He moved up to Scotland and Nicky stayed down in Devon.

Turns out the locals in Dundee wouldn't accept one of their own. He had played and managed in England, so in their eyes he was a 'Sassenach'.

Then, I think it was within less than 2 months, Nicky was dead. Shows how quickly life can change. Dave headed back and ended up at Torquay.

If you remember we never got the full story about Nicky, hence the rumours. There was and still is a stigma about suicide. Of course there is no shame on Nicky or the family and I only mention this because some of the rumours are far worse than the truth. The man who should be shamed is obviously the horrible c*** who caused the tragic death of such a lively young women.

Just to add to the tragic story about Nicky....That summer Dave had landed his dream job back in his home town of Dundee after his successful few years with Plymouth. He moved up to Scotland and Nicky stayed down in Devon.

Turns out the locals in Dundee wouldn't accept one of their own. He had played and managed in England, so in their eyes he was a 'Sassenach'.

Then, I think it was within less than 2 months, Nicky was dead. Shows how quickly life can change. Dave headed back and ended up at Torquay.

If you remember we never got the full story about Nicky, hence the rumours. There was and still is a stigma about suicide. Of course there is no shame on Nicky or the family and I only mention this because some of the rumours are far worse than the truth. The man who should be shamed is obviously the horrible c*** who caused the tragic death of such a lively young women.

Was it the horrible **** from Benfleet or another one?

Fond memories of Nicky and, of course, for her dad who will always got a thumbs up from me simply for taking home 'stranded' fans on the team coach.....

Back