• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Adam Pearson, Hull chairman seems to think so!

Sky Sports News linky

So, the richer get richer and smaller unfashionable teams like us, Hull & Col Ewe find it even harder to compete at this level.

Discuss........

Personally, I feel money in football is getting ridiculous again & surely there's only a matter of time before the bubble bursts once more like the ITV Digital fiasco!

On the news they said to finish bottom would mean a 30 million payout ?

If thats correct or, even if its exaggerated the fact is the three teams who come down are going to have a huge budget to work with.

As the years go on the teams who never get promoted will never get that boost so it will become harder.

I reckon that the "Premiership 2" idea will be floated again with the prem being reduced to 18 clubs and a "prem 2" of 24 being formed.
entry requirements based on criteria other than number of points will result in the likes of Us, luton, Col u , Plymouth , burnley/QPR not being accepted whilst Notts Forest, Leeds (who ever is in league 1) being "invited".
Promotion will be limited and ground and turnover criteria will need to be met.

Personally the only way I can honestly see the money filtering down the leagues (because they certainly will not give it away) would be if the number of overseas players was limited to say 5 in a matchday squad.
The prices of homegrown players would increase as well as the demand and more players from the Championship would be bought by prem clubs, who in tourn would spend the money on league one players etc etc

Great minds Firestorm - I too expect this deal to bring about increased talk of a Premiership II. This won't happen straight away, and the pressure for this will come not from championship clubs wanting their rightful share but from premiership clubs afraid of the consequences losing their premeirship status. The premiership has no become so lop-sided that only a handful of teams have any any ambitions other than survival. It is therefore in their interest to ensure that they won't be cut off from the honey-pot. At the very least I expect the parachute payments to be restructured.

Thw whole parachute payments thing is a joke anyway. Why should you get extra money for getting relegated? I know the reasoning behind it - the Prem wants teams to invest in players rather than being coy and planning for a possible relegation....great for the competition of the Premiership, rubbish for the competition of the league structure overall.

Football's f%cked and this is just another nail in the coffin.

Can you imagine those Premiership c%&ts pulling their snouts out of the trough for long enough to consider the future of the sport? No.

They'll carry on feeding until there's nothing left, then they'll f%ck off and arse-rape something else, hopefully rugby.

Do you remember when it was possible for teams to rise up the league and compete? Football used to be brilliant. It's sh!te now. Talk to any non-big four Prem fan and find out what they think.

You know where all that money will go? Straight into the pockets of over-rated players and their agents. That's what we're contributing to now. That's the size of it, we're paying for Anton Ferdinand's sports car.

f%cking hell, it's a shambles isn't it?

Still, what can you do? I'm addicted.

its all almost as bad as the idea to let physios treat a player whilst play goes on. they are trying to wreck the game with all these stupid new rules!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Jan. 19 2007,11:37)]then they'll f%ck off and arse-rape something else, hopefully rugby.
hahahahahahah
laugh.gif

If the Premiership didn't exist tomorrow, I wouldn't care.

As long as we're managing our lot well with honest players being paid on wages proportionate to the gate receipts then the whole world could crash around us.

Just as a suggestion, what would the Premiership do if the rest of the football league decided to sever its ties. There would be no relegation and so the 12 or so clubs with absolutely no hope of top spot or even Europe would just be left to play nothing games all year round. The winner of the Championship could be declared absolute Champions abd would be around to defend their trophy next year. We'll play the league cup amongst ourselves cos the Premiership doesn't care about it anyway and then we can meet in the FA Cup.

Personally, I think given the excitement that surrounds new entrants in to the Premiership and the end of season releation battle, this would hit the Premiership harder than the football league. Unfortunately there are too many sides with debts eyeing the top flight for this to ever happen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 19 2007,12:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Jan. 19 2007,11:37)]Do you remember when it was possible for teams to rise up the league and compete?
Like Wimbledon? what happened to them?

laugh.gif
or Wigan............

but to be honest are we redefining compete ?

How many teams have won the prem and how does that compare to the old 1st divsion for the previous corresponding period ?

To be fair, Wigan are getting found out now. Wimbledon went down because the entire club imploded behind the scenes.

Everton fans are a case in point. They have absolutely nothing to look forward to. Even big money signings like Andy Johnson don't bridge the gap between them and the big four. They either bob about in mid-table or they get sucked into a relegation battle. Even if they do sneak into fourth, the bollocksy way that UEFA rig the Champions League means that they'll never survive to the group stages.

The only thing to hope for is financial apocalypse. One day a rain is going to come.

Either that, or G14 can **** off and have their own sh!tmeister league played out in front of corporate freebie crowds and screened as PPV on Satanta. In the meantime, we'll get our game back.

78/9-93/4 5 Different winners
Leeds 1, Arsenal 2, Liverpool 8, evertin 2 , Villa 1

94/5-05/6 4 different winners
Chelsea 2; Arsenal 3 ; Man u 8 ; Blackburn 1

64/5-77/8 8 Different winners
Forest 1;liverpool 4; derby 2; leeds 2; Arsenal 1; everton 1; man C 1: Man U 2.

And for the national game the impact of the money has been
Champions league
With Prem 2 Winners
78-94 5 Winners
64-78 3 Winners + 1 World cup

Relegation payouts are a joke, personally i think they should add a fair bit more to lower league payments for promotions, like last year we probs didnt get a 1/3 of what the prem get!

Relegation payouts are a joke, personally i think they should add a fair bit more to lower league payments for promotions, like last year we probs didnt get a 1/3 of what the prem get!

1/3 would have been nice, I think the prize money was £50,000 for winning League 1. How many millions for getting relegated from the Prem? it still doesn't seem to help some of the Prem rejects though.

with all this extra money now flooding into the Prem can we expect to see cheaper ticket prices!? No chance! I think the wages talked about for someone like Lucas Neill are where the problems now lie in football and i can see no way back from it. Viewing figures must be down too as its overkill on all fronts.

now if only we could get up into the Prem for just one season LOL!!

As Slipperduke points out, the huge amount of money generated by the game at the very top level are not invested back into the game; the cash goes straight into the pockets of the top players (and their agents) and the game has been poorer for it. Sky TV continue to hype the Premier****e as the best domestic league in the world but I beg to differ. The Premier****e has become another Scottish Premier League; just two or three teams have a realistic chance of winning it and the rest make up the numbers and feed off the s****s. Best domestic league in the world? Not anymore. Would I miss the Premier****e if it imploded? Nope.

Back