• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The cheek of Labour !

I think the one person who has spoken any sense on this is Nigel Lawson. He is suggesting that corporation tax is based on sales rather than profit.

On the face of it, that would make a huge amount of sense because it would stop companies like Google and Amazon from manipulating their UK profits in favour of their, say Luxembourg, profits.

What a kick in the teeth for small businesses though.

People have been suggesting that corporation tax should be paid on revenues in the countries where big multinational companies operate (not just Google,btw) rather than on profits for some time now.

It's certainly not a new idea and NL didn't come up with it (though he is certainly a convert).

I didn't say it was his idea. I said he was talking sense.

What a kick in the teeth for small businesses though.

That will depend on the tax rate. For example, a company has sales of £100,000, and expenses of £50,000. It has profits of £50,000. Tax rate is currently 20%, so the amount of tax paid is £10,000.

If tax is paid on sales then the tax rate only needs to be 10% for the same outcome.

There are other considerations obviously, but there is some merit to this idea.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Jeremy Corbyn ever contributed to IRA funding (if that's what you're implying).

You were the one suggesting a bit of loose change was getting chucked in buckets, not me. I wonder how many Kilburn pubs he used to get round, if you know what I mean.

This thread has sort of gone off message but that kind of fits the intention of the opening post - that you can deflect people's attention but leading a discussion off in another direction.

Cameron was doing the same by sneering 'bunch of migrants' when asked questions about the bedroom Tax ruling and EU investigation into the Chancellors dodgy tax deal with Google. Maybe a calculated deflection tactic?

When these distraction tactics are used its worth highlighting again:

Google are paying 3% tax

The bedroom tax costs more to implement than it saves

1 million using foodbanks

Tory Councils rebelling again government funding cuts

The government classes £450k houses as affordable

The majority of doctors are still due to strike due to enforced contracts

Or we can focus on Blair and what Corbyn may or may not have said in the 1980's.....

You were the one suggesting a bit of loose change was getting chucked in buckets, not me. I wonder how many Kilburn pubs he used to get round, if you know what I mean.

No, actually it was SAM.

And that incidentally was an indirect reference to a Hamas rally, where JC admitted to putting some loose change in a collection bucket but couldn't remember (understandibly) how much he'd contributed.

This thread has sort of gone off message but that kind of fits the intention of the opening post - that you can deflect people's attention but leading a discussion off in another direction.

Cameron was doing the same by sneering 'bunch of migrants' when asked questions about the bedroom Tax ruling and EU investigation into the Chancellors dodgy tax deal with Google. Maybe a calculated deflection tactic?

When these distraction tactics are used its worth highlighting again:

Google are paying 3% tax

The bedroom tax costs more to implement than it saves

1 million using foodbanks

Tory Councils rebelling again government funding cuts

The government classes £450k houses as affordable

The majority of doctors are still due to strike due to enforced contracts

Or we can focus on Blair and what Corbyn may or may not have said in the 1980's.....

Absolutely.It's something he learnt from his Aussie election guru,Lynton Crosby. Apparently down under it's called "throwing a dead dog on the table" ie a classic diversionary tactic which everyone then starts talking about.

Expect to see a lot more of it at PMQ's.

Absolutely.It's something he learnt from his Aussie election guru,Lynton Crosby. Apparently down under it's called "throwing a dead dog on the table" ie a classic diversionary tactic which everyone then starts talking about.

Expect to see a lot more of it at PMQ's.

nah, Im sure Jo Moore did it first under Stephen Byers....

No, actually it was SAM.

And that incidentally was an indirect reference to a Hamas rally, where JC admitted to putting some loose change in a collection bucket but couldn't remember (understandibly) how much he'd contributed.

Surely giving any amount of money to any terrorist organisation is too much?

why should be a responsibility to pay tax? the only responsibility a company should have is to its shareholders.

Sorry Naps, profoundly disagree with you on this. If corporation tax was removed, the tax burden on the rest of us will have to rise to cover the shortfall.

Tax avoidance, while legal, is often extremely unethical, as it in Google's case (and in that of many other large multi-nationals).

I would argue any person or company that over pays its tax is behaving unethically. No person or company should support any government by overpaying. I certainly wouldn't, just as I wouldn't overpay for my train ticket.

"Here you go Mr. TOC, have extra because I don't believe you charge me enough."

No chance.

BTW: I've picked some random words and made them bold just like you.

I would argue any person or company that over pays its tax is behaving unethically. No person or company support any government by overpaying. I certainly wouldn't, just as I wouldn't overpay for my train ticket.

"Here you go Mr. TOC, have extra because I don't believe you charge me enough."

No chance.

BTW: I've picked some random words and made them bold just like you.

Overpaying isn't unethical, just bad business.

Back