• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The coldest away ground you have ever visited

CC51DAS

President
Looking at our remaining fixtures reminded me of my last visit to Huddersfield. Can't decide if that was the coldest I have ever been or whether that distinction should go to MKD at the Hockey stadium, narrowly followed by this season's match.

Any other contenders?

Mk Dons away a few years ago was rediculously cold, exposed to the winds on that awful excuse for a stand, was right at the top as well, not good.

Looking at our remaining fixtures reminded me of my last visit to Huddersfield. Can't decide if that was the coldest I have ever been or whether that distinction should go to MKD at the Hockey stadium, narrowly followed by this season's match.

Any other contenders?

A total no brainer! MK without a doubt! I found a photo from that day of Tinkerbell having a crafty fag in the no smoking stand. People were trying to warm their hands around her cigarette!!

Yeovil wasn't to nice after it peed down for the last 20+ minutes of the game. I was so glad I was staying a hotel in Yeovil that night & was able to thaw out about half an hour later. The heated car seats didn't do a lot of good that day!!

Plymouth away, circa 2000. A tiny number of Shrimpers on the huge terraced away end that they had before going all-seater. A howling wind was coming straight in off the sea and I was so cold at half time I spent most of the time sheltering in the foul-smelling toilets.

MK was baltic this year too, but not as bad as 2006 judging by all the reports I hear. So glad work prevented me from going to that one!

Two for me. Hartlepool it's freezing ****ing cold there in July, and Grimsby. I don't think it's a coincidence that both grounds are adjacent to rivers that flow into the North Sea. Cold unforgiving northern outposts, I live in hope that Grimsby will be relegated to the BSP this season, but it looks like Chester will pip them.

I've yet to visit Ice Station Zebra, but will do later in the season, which is supposed to be the coldest.

So for me it has to be Grimsby. It was early summer in Southend, but still the bleak mid winter at Blundell Park. My mate even had to buy some warm clothes after getting of the coach.

When we played sprurs in the carling cup a few years ago.

During that game, with about five minutes of normal time to go, I got a text from a Spurs supporting mate along the lines of:

"You can win. I don't care. I just can't be having another 30 mins of this cold"

I remember not really getting any feeling back in feet until I was at Seven Sisters tube.

Come to think of it, Hertha Berlin in March was a bit parky - I was there for a stag trip. About -8c if I recall correctly and little bits of ice were forming in my beer during the game.

We all went to the club shop at half time and bought Hertha scarves and socks to keep us warm second half. All the photos from that day we look like the Hertha supporters club - still keep an eye out for them now and pleased to see they're top of the Bundesliga.

For me its Yeovil - when the wind and rain is trying to cut you in half on that crappy terrace - I remember getting there one year and the hot water machine had packed up so couldn't even get a hot drink.

I know someone who claims the coldest was a night match at York many years ago and he claims he could see the frost forming on the trees as the night progressed. Not sure when but I think it was the Alan Little days.

No doubt about it MK. I even lit a fag up in the game just for warmth
Has to be the most coldest places of middle earth and it does'nt help the fact that Milton Keynes is all concrete.

Grimsby was no fun at all, especially after I had to surrender my jacket to Lucky Derek on the grounds that if he froze to death his mum wouldn't bake me any more chocolate cakes.

But Swansea away last season was pretty cold too - Ross chose it for his Birthday trip, went all the way down to see Bailey sent off after 20 minutes, we got spanked 3-0 and it was windy and cold cold cold and very depressing.

No doubt about it MK. I even lit a fag up in the game just for warmth
Has to be the most coldest places of middle earth and it does'nt help the fact that Milton Keynes is all concrete.

I know, I have photographic proof! We wanted to steal your lighter so we could get warm!!

Back