• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The coldest away ground you have ever visited

oxford last year in the cup was f****** cold with its three sided stadium, but then there is always roots hall i remember one extremely cold day when we hosted liverpool.

Has to be Boundary Park - aka Ice Station Zebra - the "home" of Oldham Athletic. For those who haven't had the priviledge, it's on a hill and the win goes straight through you...

Last went in April far too many years ago - never been so cold....

I was at Nairn County over the Christmas holidays last year. I'm not saying it was cold but that night two people died, in separate incidents, from hypothermia just trying to walk home from the pub. :stunned:

MK Dons for me. It's probably been colder elsewhere but for some reason it just chilled you to the bone that day.

I've yet to visit Ice Station Zebra, but will do later in the season, which is supposed to be the coldest.

So for me it has to be Grimsby. It was early summer in Southend, but still the bleak mid winter at Blundell Park. My mate even had to buy some warm clothes after getting of the coach.

i second that.
we left rayleigh wearing a tee shirt when we get to Grimsby we needed jumpers and winter coat, should have had thermal under wear

Wimp!. If either Newcastle or Sunderland had been playing there that day their fans would have been walking around wearing vests. I was there in polo shirt and jeans, and the only time i felt cold was around 5.30p.m. when the sky dropped a heavy deluge on us whilst walking back to our digs for the night. Summed up a s**t day all round.

Chesterfield - must've been around 20 years back - 2 coachloads of brave idiots. It didn't actually feel that cold in Southend but when we got to Chesterfield it was so cold, wet and windy that my fingers fused together. I remember starting off standing on the terrace before we were allowed to move under cover.

Mk Dons away a few years ago was rediculously cold, exposed to the winds on that awful excuse for a stand, was right at the top as well, not good.

**** me. I remember that ! That was freezing. I remember a fella wearing a very thin anorak that day in our end .. I had about 18 layers on and froze

Worst for me was Bolton away at Burnden Park when David Lee and Jason McAteer gave us a real beating, but then I only wore a shirt and thin jacket so my fault

Actually on that basis, it has to be MK Dons 2006 ! - remarkable coldness

Last edited:
I would say Carlisle, but I was dosed up on Tequilas at the time. So much so, that it was actually the warmest ground I've ever visited.

That rainbow coming out of the centre circle in the first half was pretty.

I remember freezing my tits off at Barnet once. It was a bloody cold day and I had not gone suitably attired. My own fault really for not looking at the weather forecast.

Too many to mention really, I've frozen my bits off at various grounds around the country. Special mention goes to the old open terraces at Roker Park and Oakwell and also Boundary Park and Blundell Park are always cold no matter what time of year.

I also remember that League Cup game at Spurs. I was at Center Parks with the family at the time and travelled into London for the game. When I got back late that night I had to walk from the car park to our accomodation through a frozen wood, slipping and sliding all over the place and cursing Jermaine Defoe and his offside goal.

Grimsby away 9th March 91 - lost 1-0 , day only redeemed by haddock & chips on Cleethorpes seafront before the game !

I'm going to have to be boring and say the MK Dons match. I was bed-ridden for nearly a week after the game and I'm usually immune to 'flu. It didn't help that it was possibly our worst performance of the season.

Come to think of it, Hertha Berlin in March was a bit parky - I was there for a stag trip. About -8c if I recall correctly and little bits of ice were forming in my beer during the game.

We all went to the club shop at half time and bought Hertha scarves and socks to keep us warm second half. All the photos from that day we look like the Hertha supporters club - still keep an eye out for them now and pleased to see they're top of the Bundesliga.

Bayern Munich in January was arctic as well.

I'm discounting episodes where I was stupid and didn't take a coat - Yeovil in the rain springs to mind.

The coldest I can actually remember being at a footie match has to be MK Dons at the NHS. The only time I can ever remember experiencing mind-numbing cold. We were huddled together like those bloody penguins trying to share what little body heat we could generate.

Now it was quite a while back and it is very possible that I have got some of the facts wrong but if I remember correctly the coldest I have ever been at football and possibly in my life was at the charity game between Haverhill and Southend. The game was in memory of some Southend supporters who sadly lost their lives on the way to a game at Roots Hall.

It was so cold that I had to retire to the club house during the first half and when I came out to watch the second half I was informed that the game had been cancelled due to the now rock hard and frozen pitch!

Does anyone else remember this?

MK Dons away can never be topped surely. Loads of us there that day so was sure it would be warmer once we got in the stadium. My god never been as cold as I was then.

MK away this year for me - granted it was December, but the new stadium provided little protection from the elements - the flipping roof is detached from the top stand (that's the stand with no seats..). The catering facilities for away fans was rubbish too - waited in line for about half-hour for a coffee - and then there's the 'Wembley' style price plan for the food..

And did anyone else experience the most unbeliveable 'steaming' **** when going to the Gents :) lol

Last edited:
Back