• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wakes123

Manager⭐
I thought it worked well yesterday. However, I think Brown was forced into playing the formation due to the lack of fit wingers.

Would people want to see this formation going forward, even with everyone fit?

Main advantages for me;

It enables us to play 2 strikers, which, especially at home, we have been crying out for imo. Corr needs some more support and someone to flick the ball onto.

Jack Payne can play either at the tip of the diamond, or on the left. I think Jack played really well yesterday and we need to fit him into any formation we play. I think he needs to play every week.

We have 2 full backs in John White and Ben Coker who aren't afraid to get forward, so the team would still have width (main argument against the formation).

Disadvantage - more difficult to fit Worrall in the team, who has undoubtedly been on of our best players of the season.

even if the full backs do get forward it does mean a lack of width unless the strikers split with real pace like Liverpool last season. we are desperate for someone to get on to Corr's flick ons so it might work

We have 2 full backs in John White and Ben Coker who aren't afraid to get forward, so the team would still have width (main argument against the formation).

Its becoming clear we need to get two strikers together on the pitch and if Payne is to play then the diamond is a good system to do that. My concern isn't with White defensively but that he'd be asked to do a lot more running & there would be a lot more required of him in the final third. I'm not so sure he provides as much quality in that area as would be needed.

It'll work well against some teams but less well against others.

It worked well earlier in the season but teams quickly worked out how to adjust.

I thought it worked well yesterday. However, I think Brown was forced into playing the formation due to the lack of fit wingers.

Would people want to see this formation going forward, even with everyone fit?

Main advantages for me;

It enables us to play 2 strikers, which, especially at home, we have been crying out for imo. Corr needs some more support and someone to flick the ball onto.

Jack Payne can play either at the tip of the diamond, or on the left. I think Jack played really well yesterday and we need to fit him into any formation we play. I think he needs to play every week.

Disadvantage - more difficult to fit Worrall in the team, who has undoubtedly been on of our best players of the season.

Coker is excellent at getting forward , but White ?
I don't see that.

I thought it left us a little vulnerable on the counter, besides that i don't mind it!
Good to have a CAM and 2 ST's

It'll work well against some teams but less well against others.

It worked well earlier in the season but teams quickly worked out how to adjust.

You're right YB.

Some people on here think it's simple we suddenly play 2 upfront and win every game. We need to be able to play different tactics at different times and against different teams.

Agree with previous comments, don't feel that White offers us anywhere near enough attacking threat with a dismiss, and it's not something I'd be too keen on with a makeshift duo at centre back with Bolger and Prosser out suspended as it could leave whoever is there very vulnerable. You sometimes see that become more of a back three with one full back bombing on and one filling in as another centre back, is be happy with White filling in but Coker wouldn't give us the right protection, especially if it's alongside Thompson and/or another young centre back if that's what we end up bringing in on loan. Might be interesting to see how Worrall would fair at right back in a diamond or a 3-5-2 if we do go down that kind of line.

if we don't get someone good enough in aren't we more likely to see

Bentley
Leonard White Thompson Coker
Deegan Timlin
Worrall Payne Weston/Shaq
Corr

that's what i'm currently expecting for Saturday subject to us getting anyone in

For me one of the reasons we maybe didn't prosper on Saturday was that Coker didn't get forward anywhere near as much as he usually does, seemed a bit subdued, he was immense against Cambridge and it was easy to see how much we had missed him.

Agree with previous comments, don't feel that White offers us anywhere near enough attacking threat with a dismiss, and it's not something I'd be too keen on with a makeshift duo at centre back with Bolger and Prosser out suspended as it could leave whoever is there very vulnerable. You sometimes see that become more of a back three with one full back bombing on and one filling in as another centre back, is be happy with White filling in but Coker wouldn't give us the right protection, especially if it's alongside Thompson and/or another young centre back if that's what we end up bringing in on loan. Might be interesting to see how Worrall would fair at right back in a diamond or a 3-5-2 if we do go down that kind of line.[/QUOTE]

Brown tried this a few times earlier in the season, I remember the Walsall game amongst others and he didn't look great there to be honest. He's not good enough defensively and to use him there would be a waste of his attacking prowess.

maybe Atkinson in there somewhere though, especially as he's been playing lots recently

I'd put Atkinson at right-back. It's one game only and he's less of a loss from midfield than Leonard.

For me one of the reasons we maybe didn't prosper on Saturday was that Coker didn't get forward anywhere near as much as he usually does, seemed a bit subdued, he was immense against Cambridge and it was easy to see how much we had missed him.

Always difficult to know how much this is a tactical thing and his instructions from the manager were to not get forward as much as he wouldn't be getting the same defensive support with a diamond in midfield.

Brown tried this a few times earlier in the season, I remember the Walsall game amongst others and he didn't look great there to be honest. He's not good enough defensively and to use him there would be a waste of his attacking prowess.

Yeah, Worrall got skinned a number of times. I'd much rather have him in the opposition box than ours.

Back