• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35150356

I see that Michael Heseltine has warned of a Tory "civil war" and that the Tories would be a "laughing stock" if Cameron allowed a free vote for his Cabinet Ministers on this issue.

Funny, I seem to remember Harold Wilson doing exactly that last time around, back in 1975.

Didn't Jeremy Corbyn also allow all Labour MP's a free vote on Syria too?

I see that Michael Heseltine has warned of a Tory "civil war" and that the Tories would be a "laughing stock" if Cameron allowed a free vote for his Cabinet Ministers on this issue.

Funny, I seem to remember Harold Wilson doing exactly that last time around, back in 1975.

But former Deputy Prime Minister Lord Heseltine said that would make Mr Cameron a global "laughing stock".

A laughing stock?....surely he's that already.

Out of interest, what's the difference between that and Corduroy saying he's not convinced of the UK's membership? Isn't he going to have civil war (yet again) within his shadow cabinet?

Out of interest, what's the difference between that and Corduroy saying he's not convinced of the UK's membership? Isn't he going to have civil war (yet again) within his shadow cabinet?

:off topic:

But atm there is clearly a disconnect between the Labour party and the PLP.

I'd expect (and hope) to see some changes in the rulebook after the next Labour party conference which will more fully reflect the new mood in the party.

The Tories however are the party in government and need to decide what their position is vis-à-vis the EU referendum.

:off topic:

But atm there is clearly a disconnect between the Labour party and the PLP.

I'd expect (and hope) to see some changes in the rulebook after the next Labour party conference which will more fully reflect the new mood in the party.

The Tories however are the party in government and need to decide what their position is vis-à-vis the EU referendum.

Don't forget, the MPs have to serve their constituencies. They were voted in under the previous Labour incarnation, and therefore need to serve in that manner.

This is a bigger civil war than the one you're predicting for the tories.

Don't forget, the MPs have to serve their constituencies. They were voted in under the previous Labour incarnation, and therefore need to serve in that manner.

This is a bigger civil war than the one you're predicting for the tories.

The Tories have been at war over the EU ever since Maastricht.It's already cost at least one Tory leader their job (Thatcher) and arguably Major too.

Cameron's going to have to play his cards pretty well to stay in office for a full parliamentary term.

The Tories have been at war over the EU ever since Maastricht.It's already cost at least one Tory leader their job (Thatcher) and arguably Major too.

Cameron's going to have to play his cards pretty well to stay in office for a full parliamentary term.

Camerscum has played it very well over the last 7-8(?) years. You hardly ever hear the tories argue over Europe these days (more's the pity), and yes the referendum may be an issue for them, but it is only one policy.

The Labour party's problems are far more widespread than that, and are far more serious.

Plus Camerscum has said he won't be in charge at the next GE, so I don't think that's a concern for him.

Camerscum has played it very well over the last 7-8(?) years. You hardly ever hear the tories argue over Europe these days (more's the pity), and yes the referendum may be an issue for them, but it is only one policy.

The Labour party's problems are far more widespread than that, and are far more serious.

Plus Camerscum has said he won't be in charge at the next GE, so I don't think that's a concern for him.

If he goes to the nation with a poor offer from Europe then I can see him stepping down if the vote goes towards an exit. That will leave the country with a Gordon Brown scenario which I personally never agreed with the last time. I would prefer an early election after a new Tory leader has been chosen, unlikely but what I would prefer. What I'm reading at the moment doesn't fair well for Cameron but I seriously doubt he will campaign for an exit.

There was something on the radio today suggesting that there needs to be collective government, meaning the entire cabinet must stand behind the PM on whatever he decides on this matter. I don't agree with that as this is going to be a once in a lifetime vote and all MP's, including cabinet and shadow cabinet must be allowed to campaign the way they want without threats or intimidation from any party enforcers. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath.

Europe didn't cost Major his job. Tony Blair, and the Conservatives having been in power for 18 years, saw to that.

As I said it was "arguable" .So you're arguing about it-what's new? :winking:

(I'm sure you'll remember the Euro Cabinet *******s remark).

It's a forum. Arguing/debating is kind of the point isn't it?

Remember the *******s stuff very well indeed. And come 1997, the Conservatives could have given every voter £20 on polling day and they'd still have got humped.

EDIT. The word we've both used - that shouldn't really be on the swear filter should it? Very much a soft swear word I think.

It's a forum. Arguing/debating is kind of the point isn't it?

Remember the *******s stuff very well indeed. And come 1997, the Conservatives could have given every voter £20 on polling day and they'd still have got humped.

EDIT. The word we've both used - that shouldn't really be on the swear filter should it? Very much a soft swear word I think

I certainly don't have any problem with it-as long as it's not used directly at someone as an insult.

(Edit.My younger brother, (not Rob Noxious but the Venture Capitalist), used to delight in saying I was a ******* by birth.

Technically correct, as I was born before my parents married).

Last edited:
I certainly don't have any problem with it-as long as it's not used directly at someone as an insult.

(Edit.My younger brother, (not Rob Noxious but the Venture Capitalist), used to delight in saying I was a ******* by birth.

Yeah but we live in such a PC world now don't we - blame the looney left for that :winking:

And once again, a thread comes round to Barnaby's personal life.

Back