• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Fan and the Steward at Solihull

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a palaver.
Firstly, if the keeper and no.5 goaded fans, so what? The fans don't goad players? All a bit schoolboy justification.

Secondly, there is a difference between mob-handed and heavy handed. If a number of stewards are used to eject someone they are looking after each others safety. Sadly any incident can escalate and the stewards, just as the police do, have the right of protection.
If the subsequent treatment by the stewards was beyond the code of practice then they will be answerable.

Thirdly, the fan in question behaved like a tool. I don't prescribe to the thinking that he should get a lifetime ban. It was fortunately not serious enough but he should get a season long ban. Any repeat of this behaviour should then result in a lifetime ban. The lad deserves one chance to learn from his error of judgment.

Finally, it is an incident that can in no way be justified and the lad should not be defended. He did wrong. If the stewards did wrong that is a separate issue and again cannot be justified. We live in troubled times and the level of violence we see appears to have increased. A nothing situation this time but who can say for sure what a fan may do to a player if we just pass this behaviour off?

Football fans are treated the way they are because of the way they have behaved in the past. It's not a new thing. Yet no-one seems to have learned.

As @OldBlueLady says, we have a somewhat tarnished reputation as a club, regardless of the fact that 90% of our support - especially away from home - is fantastic. We've played at Solihull Moors twice in our history. Last year they witnessed an unsavoury incident of another type, so our reputation there is for causing trouble off the pitch 100% of the time.

I'm afraid our younger fans do not help the situation at all. If they behaved better in the first place, there wouldn't be a need to dissect the subsequent behaviours of the stewards and police.

Looking into this.
In the United States, there were 16 cases reported deaths in police custody between 1998 and 2009 in which restraint was a "direct or contributory factor to the death." Positional asphyxia, also known as postural asphyxia, is a form of asphyxia which occurs when someone's position prevents the person from breathing adequately. People may die from positional asphyxia accidentally, when the mouth and nose are blocked, or where the chest may be unable to fully expand. Since the George Floyd death from positional asphyxia, restraining techniques by those that have the right to detain someone(not just the police) have altered, and putting weight on the neck or chest is now avoided unless completely necessary, as now in the deadly force class. Britain followed suit, and as someone said, that steward was not meant to be using that restraining technique. So again, that lad was an absolute idiot. The steward was a bullying idiot. The police were useless as they should have known the steward should not be using that restraining technique.

They go to every game. Basically there to support local constabulary, spot any trouble makers etc
Still makes me laugh when I think of it , back in Oct 70 when Southend first played at Cambridge . Leigh Com were in the Cambridge end when an old bill said to a couple of Leigh boys 'we have a couple of undercover police officers in here watching for trouble makers' , to which the Leigh Boys replied 'Yes theres one over there and one over there' . They had been sussed out as soon as we went in the Cambridge end .

Well - as I see it the handbags went off ok and no-one got hurt …

Everyone let off a bit of steam - including 6 pages on here .

Life is risky and it could have been serious but as far as I know no-one got hurt seriously and lots of free adrenaline got used up ….

In the olden days before mobile phones and the internet all sorts went on and unless some got dead very few consequences .. or drama.

I hate to say it but it’s all a bit typical of Generation mollycoddled -

Anyway there should be a health warning on that video and having viewed it twice I will put myself up for a mental health check and some psychotherapy in case the trauma affects me..

Also as a SUFC supporter I want to claim some money off somebody as a result of this terrible injustice and note I will taking donations to the Justice fir the Solihull 1 campaign. PAyPal to the gofuckme page please

Really not seeing the brutality in that clip, I do judo and nothing there looks aggressive, there are far more uncomfortable ways to pin someone than that. Yes the steward is holding his head at times but he's moving it slowly and is making sure to avoid the face and the leg isn't across the chest so it's unlikely the guy being pinned would be struggling to breathe.
I totally disagree and not sure what kind of judo you do. I teach jujitsu and as a national referee in ground fighting and an established GB competitor, that is not controlled. If you look closely, his right knee is pinned onto his chest, which taking into account the heat, the fact he's probably had a couple of drinks and his intercostal muscles are being restricted, breathing would absolutely be a struggle. Not saying the lad was innocent, but this is not controlled restraint. The Steward does not know what know what he is doing and there is nothing technical in this.

I totally disagree and not sure what kind of judo you do. I teach jujitsu and as a national referee in ground fighting and an established GB competitor, that is not controlled. If you look closely, his right knee is pinned onto his chest, which taking into account the heat, the fact he's probably had a couple of drinks and his intercostal muscles are being restricted, breathing would absolutely be a struggle. Not saying the lad was innocent, but this is not controlled restraint. The Steward does not know what know what he is doing and there is nothing technical in this.
I will go with Teacher Phil.

You've got to spare a thought for the poor lad this morning.

He went onto the pitch in front of all his mates only to fall over after less than 10 steps onto the pitch.

You've got to spare a thought for the poor lad this morning.

He went onto the pitch in front of all his mates only to fall over after less than 10 steps onto the pitch.
He deserves a life ban simple as ......

No doubt this was fuelled by alcohol so you have to ask, if you're not allowed on a flight like this, why is it acceptable to be allowed into a sporting venue.

Looking into this.
In the United States, there were 16 cases reported deaths in police custody between 1998 and 2009 in which restraint was a "direct or contributory factor to the death." Positional asphyxia, also known as postural asphyxia, is a form of asphyxia which occurs when someone's position prevents the person from breathing adequately. People may die from positional asphyxia accidentally, when the mouth and nose are blocked, or where the chest may be unable to fully expand. Since the George Floyd death from positional asphyxia, restraining techniques by those that have the right to detain someone(not just the police) have altered, and putting weight on the neck or chest is now avoided unless completely necessary, as now in the deadly force class. Britain followed suit, and as someone said, that steward was not meant to be using that restraining technique. So again, that lad was an absolute idiot. The steward was a bullying idiot. The police were useless as they should have known the steward should not be using that restraining technique.
Spot on!

He deserves a life ban simple as ......

No doubt this was fuelled by alcohol so you have to ask, if you're not allowed on a flight like this, why is it acceptable to be allowed into a sporting venue.

If you was on a flight would the pilot fake injury, roll around on the floor and waste enough time so that you never got to your destination….. would the cabin crew join on and mock you if you then got the hump.

This wasn’t like those scenes at the end of last season when players were randomly attacked. If it’s a ban for life for entering the pitch then the players in it need to act professional as well .

The behaviour of the Boreham Wood players last week from faking injury to 3 quite deliberate red card offences designed to put our players out of action for weeks….. They could not complain if someone did run on and slap them.

Don’t take a knee and then take the p**** out of the very people paying your privileged wage every week.

Not sure which is the biggest overreaction. The people quoting our ‘damaged reputation’ or that fat steward straddling the lad and looking like he was going to orally rape him.
Poor comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back