• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Fifth Test

for the next test to start. Win, lose or draw we can be very proud of the team this year, if we don't win we know that it's only because of one day of rain in the third test!

Simon Jones is out, never been too sure about Anderson so I reckon Collingwood is the best bet to replace him....

Roll on Thursday!
smile.gif

Would definitely prefer the Collingwood option as we only need a draw and his batting coming in at #7 or #8 will be a positive in this respect.

James Anderson hasn't been in great form for over 2 years now, and I feel he has been selected on the basis that he is centrally contracted.

Personally, as cover for Simon Jones I would have hoped that we might have gone for a more experienced option in Gough, Caddick or Cork as Anderson does tend to give a few away, and Jones is probably our most economical bowler. If Anderson plays I fear we may go for quite a lot in not many overs as Hoggard has proved expensive to date and in spells Harmison has gone for a few.

I thought we had been promised some rain for the weekend but a quick look here

Weather says otherwise:(

It's a phenomenally tough call, this one. Whilst you can see the logic behing selecting Colly (just look at the run-scoring), I've a funny feeling that Anderson will get the nod.

Fundamentally, England have got on top of Australia this summer by playing aggressive cricket with a quartet of pace bowlers. Why change that now? Vaughan won't be playing for the draw - it's not in his nature. He'll want to win this one 3-1... and why not?

We have been on top of this series since day one of the Egbaston Test, and there's no reason to deviate from that path of aggressive cricket that has got us to the Oval Test with a 2-1 lead.

Besides, Banger loves the Oval track. If he gets set (and there's no reason to suspect why he wouldn't), then if he can knock a big score... and at that point, we'll be crying out for a fourth seam bowler.

I think Anderson will get the nod; and I don't think he'll disappoint.

Matt

Other than the bit about Banger getting lots of runs (he still hasn't a test ton v the Aussies), I agree with MtS. Its got to be Anderson.

1) I wouldn't want to have to bowl on the second best batting track in the country with only 3 front-line seamers. If England lose the toss they are in for a long day in the field.
2) All the matches have been over in less than 4 days' worth of play. I can't therefore see England batting it out for a draw without divine intervention.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 07 2005,13:28)]Other than the bit about Banger getting lots of runs (he still hasn't a test ton v the Aussies)
Banger's the top run scorer in the Ashes series on either side, so you can no longer accuse him of not knowing how to bat against the Aussies.

Besides, here's a stat I love (ah, you've got to love random stats generally)...

Banger's Test average at all grounds: 45.39
Banger'rs Test average at the Oval: 85.85

He loves batting there, has his top score in Test cricket there (219 against the South Africans, in a game we had to win to level the series), and it's a nice flattish track which is perfect for him.

Now it's just up to Banger... I'm sure he won't disappoint.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Sep. 07 2005,12:24)]and Jones is probably our most economical bowler.
He is by a mile, just over 20 runs a wicket, then Harmison (about 26), Flintoff (28), Hoggard (30) and then Giles with 50 runs per wicket.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Sep. 07 2005,13:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Sep. 07 2005,12:24)]and Jones is probably our most economical bowler.
He is by a mile, just over 20 runs a wicket, then Harmison (about 26), Flintoff (28), Hoggard (30) and then Giles with 50 runs per wicket.
vs. Shane who has picked up 28 wickets this summer at 19.2 apiece...

wow.gif

Still, the Oval is surely tailor-made for Harmy - hard & fast. Unfortunately, that'll also help McGrath... if he's fit.

I am now, officially, sick with nerves...

suspect.gif
ghostface.gif

Can't wait - have taken tomorrow off so I can watch it at home, then I'll be at The Oval on Friday - bring it on!

If the weather is fine, reckon I'll pop down to Clapham Common to watch it on the big screen on Sunday too.

As for the game itself, I'm in the pro-Anderson camp. I think picking Collingwood would be a negative move. We've got this far by taking the Aussies on, let's continue in the same vein.

And, should the worse happen and the Baggy Greens beat us, I have the consolation of a tenner at 6/1 on the series draw. That's £10 I'd gladly kiss goodbye to though!

It would be Anderson for me, it gives the attack the same balance as the previous 4 games.

Besides which if we cannot score enough runs with the 7 batsmen we have then one more will not make a difference.

Nice touch playing Jersulaem beforehand too. That's really got the hairs on my arms standing on end! <shudder>

Come on England!

We've made a good start after winning the toss, a big opening partnership would set us up very nicely thankyou!

Very nice touch... Rod Marsh on TMS bigging up Ali Cook and Ravi Bopara!

biggrin.gif

Essex, Essex, Essex!!!

biggrin.gif

Sounds like a ridiculously fast outfield - a very good toss to win. 11 boundaries already, Warne limbering up, 61/0.

cool.gif

Back