• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Gilbert & Rose West Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
What started out as a bit of fan banter has gone utterly bonkers, making the national papers, who are always wide of the mark. It's a worrying world if fans are actually 'concerned and outraged' about the name which as Rylee quite rightly suggested has absolutely no connection. I can only Imagine the press are totally bored of Rushi v Liz and want a different story ... which tomorrow should be forgotten and written off as a bit of a joke and a non story.
It's certainly great to be getting investment into the club at last which can only lead to better things, and I'm sure Gilbert and Rose have had a bit of a laugh about it whilst gaining wider acknowledgement as a new company. No one should take this seriously... if so, call the stand an alternative name and get some therapy!!

Last edited:
What started out as a bit of fan banter has gone utterly bonkers, making the national papers, who are always wide of the mark. It's a worrying world if fans are actually 'concerned and outraged' about the name which as Rylee quite rightly suggested has absolutely no connection. I can only Imagine the press are totally bored of Rushi v Liz and want a different story ... which tomorrow should be forgotten and written off as a bit of a joke and a non story.
It's certainly great to be getting investment into the club at last which can only lead to better things, and I'm sure Gilbert and Rose have had a bit of a laugh about it whilst gaining wider acknowledgement as a new company. No one should take this seriously... if so, call the stand an alternative name and get some therapy!!
Pardon?

OK, let's just change the name for argument's sake to the Wayne Couzens Stand because that also happens to be the name of a local plumbing merchant who are sponsoring us.

This is nothing to do with the silly season or the Conservative election.
This would have been flagged up at any time of the year, and on any day.
I'd be surprised if the solicitors think it funny to be associated with a serial killer who murdered 10 young people.

Forgotten? Every time the stand is mentioned, it'll get a chortle.

Pardon?

OK, let's just change the name for argument's sake to the Wayne Couzens Stand because that also happens to be the name of a local plumbing merchant who are sponsoring us.

This is nothing to do with the silly season or the Conservative election.
This would have been flagged up at any time of the year, and on any day.
I'd be surprised if the solicitors think it funny to be associated with a serial killer who murdered 10 young people.

Forgotten? Every time the stand is mentioned, it'll get a chortle.
Ahh yes. Because the club have actively gone out of their way to call it the Rose West stand. They’re called Gilbert and Rose for a start.

It’s an oversight by the club and a bit of an own goal in that sense, but your comparison is ridiculous.

A complete non story which most people have seen the funny side

" No one should take this seriously." What? The club are being ridiculed in the media. The name is that of a serial killer (albeit accidentally because of the name of the sponsor) Plus ...who on earth didn't see this beforehand??? They may be a great local company but I bet they're not too chuffed at the link with Rose West either. It was probably "funny" to start with..but now it's gone viral...that's not good publicity for them...or us as a club. It makes everyone look like fools. Some publicity (even the free stuff) is better not to have.

This is a non-story - that's the name of their company and that's the name of our stand - put the 2 together and you get what you get. I'm in the "all publicity is good publicity" mindset.
A non-story? I'm sure the families of the victims of the Wests murderous history are having a real laugh about it. People can say it's a non-story to the cows come home...but it's everywhere in the press and on social media. Our club has become a laughing stock. Personally, I'm not happy about that.

Ahh yes. Because the club have actively gone out of their way to call it the Rose West stand. They’re called Gilbert and Rose for a start.

It’s an oversight by the club and a bit of an own goal in that sense, but your comparison is ridiculous.

A complete non story which most people have seen the funny side
Nobody's 'gone out of their way' because they didn't see it in the first place.
I was trying to point out why a name matters by substituting a newer one that was equally abhorrent. Note: equal.
In fact, Couzens murdered one which was still, horrendous. But the Wests murdered 10 including their own daughter.
What's ridiculous is some folk can't see how it makes us look to a wider audience.
A non-story? Is that like saying you can't see what the Mail, Star and the rest have just written?
Now, that's ridiculous...

Nobody's 'gone out of their way' because they didn't see it in the first place.
I was trying to point out why a name matters by substituting a newer one that was equally abhorrent. Note: equal.
In fact, Couzens murdered one which was still, horrendous. But the Wests murdered 10 including their own daughter.
What's ridiculous is some folk can't see how it makes us look to a wider audience.
A non-story? Is that like saying you can't see what the Mail, Star and the rest have just written?
Now, that's ridiculous...
Exactly. They didn’t see it. Intent is important here.

Don’t know why the number of murders matters either so that’s an odd comment to make

It is an oversight by the club and not in very good taste but let’s get some perspective here.
As someone has said they are Gilbert & Rose Estate agents and they sponsor the West stand - add the two together however, perhaps before declaring gathering name the club should have seen it and made a simple amendment.

It has got lots of publicity for both the club and this estate agents.

Exactly. They didn’t see it. Intent is important here.

Don’t know why the number of murders matters either so that’s an odd comment to make
Intent? Or lack of it. It's about awareness - and we had none in this case.
Previous comments like 'no one should take this seriously' is frankly, artless.
My only intent was to use a name closer to now to highlight a serious gaffe.
As regards numbers, I agree, one is shocking - but 10? And we've just renamed our stand the same as one of history's most hated murderers?

They didn’t see it.
If the naming suggestion didn't hit the inbox of a more senior figure in the club and was left to an intern, that's quite concerning. Mistakes are made, but would two, three, maybe even four sets of eyes let this get as far as it seemingly has? Doesn't strike me as likely.

If the naming suggestion didn't hit the inbox of a more senior figure in the club and was left to an intern, that's quite concerning. Mistakes are made, but would two, three, maybe even four sets of eyes let this get as far as it seemingly has? Doesn't strike me as likely.
That’s exactly what has happened yes

Unlikely that murders where on the minds of people when doing this deal. Club was probably happily for a sponsor.

Out of interest, how many people that have season tickets in west stand have noticed?

I first saw this on twitter on 30th July. And it’s taken to today to be brought up, how many have received season tickets and not noticed or cared! Only obvious when pointed out directly

I see the issue and its clearly an honest oversight. The stand is called the West Stand and the sponsor is called Gilbert & Rose. You do what we have done many times before and combined the two.

It's not like the sponsor is called Rose & Gilbert and we have switched the name round for a bit if fun.

Has the sponsor achieved its aim. Yep, exposure on a massive scale (probably far more than the imagined) I know know what Gilbert & Rose do, and if I need to sell my house in the future will remember them in the future

Today's news is tomorrow's chip wrappers (or deleted cookies in today's modern age)

There’ll be another thing trending tomorrow, this’ll all be forgotten about and Napster will no longer be Twitter famous. As for us being a laughing stock, erm .. we have been for the last few years! It’s typical of Southend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back