• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Independent Group

Just found this in relation to my question earlier:

"Why isn’t there a by-election when an MP defects from one political party to another?

There are no rules requiring the resignation of an MP who leaves one political party for another. A convention that the Member changing parties does not resign to fight a by-election accords with the arguments of Edmund Burke in the late 18th century. This MP, himself a rebel in a number of policy areas, considered that a Member was a representative rather than a delegate. Historically, the Commons has acted on the principle that all Members of the House of Commons are individually elected, and voters put a “cross against the name of a candidate”. While decisions on candidates may be affected by their party labels, MPs are free to develop their own arguments once elected, until it is time to face the voters in the next general election."

Now, call me old fashioned, but I'd only put a cross next an individuals name because he or she is there representing a party (along with it's manifesto), not themselves. Who'd've thought :Smile2:
When the two Tory MPs switched to UKIP they called by-elections so the public could approve their new affiliation. As the one thing the these Independents have in common is wanting the public to vote again on EU membership it seems like they are leaving an open goal if the 2 UKIPers invested in democracy and they won't.

3 Tories now join. Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen.

Anna Soubry's speech is interesting - she talks of tyranny, bullying, entryism in the Conservative Party. She also talks about 'their' party when talking about the Tories.

The issue of the new collective not having any policies is laid bare already. At the TIG press conference Soubry was openly backing the economic record of the Cameron-Osborne period. Anna Soubry defends austerity: "The things we did to the economy were absolutely necessary"

This is my problem with her and the Tories - austerity isn't something you do to the economy, it's something you do to people.

But her ex Tory colleague / new collective colleague Ms Allen highlighted her concerns around poverty, as well as Brexit, in a statement, saying: "I can no longer represent a government and a party who can't open its eyes to the suffering endured by the most vulnerable in society - suffering which we have deepened whilst having the power to fix." She has in recent weeks been visiting food banks which in hindsight was a build up to a change of mind and change of party.

So two of the three ex Tories seem to have conflicting views on austerity.

I'm wondering if Remainers (I am one) who were desperate for a new Centrist party (I'm not one) are going to have their hopes dashed. This new collective may turn out to be more right wing than LibDems and more right wing than Blair and probably not what many people were looking for.

I found this encouraging from Lucy Powell who I don't believe is a big fan of Corbyn:
'I know it may seem exciting to some, and some of those involved are my friends, but the political impact of a new party (as that’s what it is) is a long reign of Conservative Government. In trying to stop that, that makes them our political opponents now.'

She sees the bigger picture.

When the two Tory MPs switched to UKIP they called by-elections so the public could approve their new affiliation. As the one thing the these Independents have in common is wanting the public to vote again on EU membership it seems like they are leaving an open goal if the 2 UKIPers invested in democracy and they won't.

Don't recall Labour/momentum calling for a by-election when Jared O'mara became an independent.

Long overdue.

Well done Umunna, Berger, Leslie, Smith, Gapes, Shuker and Coffey for having the guts to stick their heads above the parapet.

Far too many MPs have put party or career before country.

We aren't getting the Government or the Opposition this country needs. The UK's political parties needs an urgent realignment. As a country we might have ****ed up the referendum but we still deserve a better choice than May or Corbyn.

Hopefully a few more of their former colleagues and those across the aisles will grow some balls and join them. History will treat these 7 far kinder than May and Corbyn.

These people and the three Tory MP's that joined them today will merely be a footnote in British political history after the next general election.

Back