• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The latest coaching obsession

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
Have you noticed the obsession all coaches now seem to have with pulling everyone back when defending a corner. This has now been added to Tilly's repertoire. He is not alone, I have only been to four of our games so far, but each and every team in those games has pulled every player back into defence.

I remember a game last season, when we were leading 2-0 and the opposing team still had everyone back.

Do they teach them this at the UEFA coaching badge schools?

What about leaving four or five men forward when defending a corner - this would entail the opposition having to put five or six back, and despite the extra space available, surely it would be more difficult to score. Or am I being a knob?
rock.gif

maybe 1 or 2 as chelsea do, I especially feel theres no value having JCR and Gutts back at corners t heir hardly gonna tower above the CF and head it clear are they! Leave them upfield so the opposition have to send guys back to cover them

You're being a knob
tounge.gif

No seriously, I reckon you're right it may well be the latest fad running through the Pro Licence courses, a lot like zonal marking was a season or two ago!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Sep. 12 2006,13:17)]Have you noticed the obsession all coaches now seem to have with pulling everyone back when defending a corner. This has now been added to Tilly's repertoire. He is not alone, I have only been to four of our games so far, but each and every team in those games has pulled every player back into defence.

I remember a game last season, when we were leading 2-0 and the opposing team still had everyone back.

Do they teach them this at the UEFA coaching badge schools?

What about leaving four or five men forward when defending a corner - this would entail the opposition having to put five or six back, and despite the extra space available, surely it would be more difficult to score. Or am I being a knob?
rock.gif
The extra space created would mean the forwards can easily attack these spaces.

Plus leaving four or five forward might not neceassirly mean they are marked. If an attacking team has worked on a set piece they will take as many as needed. It is up to the defence to stop the corner, not for the defending team to pre-suppose a possible counter-attack!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 12 2006,13:33)]The extra space created would mean the goalkeeper can easily claim the ball.
Corrected your typo.

We love you Bart.

I agree its a load of crap. There was an instance where Freddie was back and cleared it upself but everyone was back so just came back again.

If you leave 3 up front at corner then that team will then keep at least 3 or 4 back to cover. Ideally reckon someone like JCR should stay up front as he is effective useless when it comes to defending headers and it gives a pace outlet up front when the ball goes up there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ Sep. 12 2006,13:48)]If you leave 3 up front at corner then that team will then keep at least 3 or 4 back to cover.

Ideally reckon someone like JCR should stay up front as he is effective useless when it comes to defending headers and it gives a pace outlet up front when the ball goes up there.
not necessarily.

defending headers is easy when you have a decent keeper.

anyway, most headers are downwards, as jcr is nearest the ground he is ideal to stop headers

Recall a game at Roots Hall many moons ago against Northampton who pushed four players up onto the halfway line whenever they conceded a corner. Resulted in a terrific game of football, finishing 4 - 3 to them as I remember.

Most headers aren't downwards, you are taught to head downwards but in reality it is a rare thing. The only use for JCR defending corners is to put on a post, which I think both posts should always be covered, which is something we didn't do at Palace.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Sep. 12 2006,14:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 12 2006,13:57)]defending headers is easy when you have a decent keeper.
What bait are you using these days Naps?  
wink.gif
same as always. But we've conceded too many goals this season from corners which should be bread and butter for any passable keeper. Maybe that's why no-one has bid for DF in the past. Let's be honest, we can do better!

I think all opposing centre-halves should be marked at set pieces, which is something we didn't do at Palace.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Sep. 12 2006,14:03)]Most headers aren't downwards, you are taught to head downwards but in reality it is a rare thing.
No, it's a natural thing. It's easier to attack using a downward header.

Not normally 1 to raise to the bait! But he dod get his player of the season award on saturday! And also got in the league 1 team of the season, so to get better would cost somewhere 400k + i'd imagine. Quality keeper

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 12 2006,13:57)]defending headers is easy when you have a decent keeper.

anyway, most headers are downwards, as jcr is nearest the ground he is ideal to stop headers
Palace & Leicester aside of course!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 12 2006,14:03)]We've conceded too many goals this season from corners which should be bread and butter for any passable keeper. Maybe that's why no-one has bid for DF in the past. Let's be honest, we can do better!
True we've let in too many from set-pieces this season but I don't think Flavs in entirely to blame in this case.

It's the defensive unit as a whole who need to up their game now that delivery of corners/free-kicks is a lot more clinical instead of the hit and hope approach of the lower divisions.

Not having both posts covered to me is a schoolboy error at defending corners!

Having not been at QPR did we look far more solid with Collis in goal? ? ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 12 2006,14:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Sep. 12 2006,14:03)]Most headers aren't downwards, you are taught to head downwards but in reality it is a rare thing.
No, it's a natural thing. It's easier to attack using a downward header.
Ok think of how many headers go over, and how many are cleared away. Most headers are upwards. If it was a perfect cross then maybe it'd be headed down, but usually its a lil high or the jump isn't timed perfect, they end up i'd say 75% of thr time, being headed upwards

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Sep. 12 2006,14:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Sep. 12 2006,14:03)]We've conceded too many goals this season from corners which should be bread and butter for any passable keeper. Maybe that's why no-one has bid for DF in the past. Let's be honest, we can do better!
True we've let in too many from set-pieces this season but I don't think Flavs in entirely to blame in this case.

It's the defensive unit as a whole who need to up their game now that delivery of corners/free-kicks is a lot more clinical instead of the hit and hope approach of the lower divisions.

Not having both posts covered to me is a schoolboy error at defending corners!

Having not been at QPR did we look far more solid with Collis in goal? ? ?
Hard to tell, because we was attacking for most of the 2nd 45mins. he did misjudge 1 cross though that rebounded off the post with him stood in the middle of the goal with his arms stretched. But too hard to tell from that.

Back