• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kenny

Thailand Shrimper
Saw the draw on Soccer AM this morning

It's now been rebranded "Johnstone Paint" Trophy

You know what, I almost miss being in it this season. Some good ideas to get the punters in.

- The draw has been regionalised further to North-West/North-East, South-West/South-East to guarantee more local derbies (sounds good in theory but some teams are in strange regions)
- no extra time, straight to pens after 90 minutes
- Under 16's get in for free!

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - First Round

Northern Section (West)
Accrington Stanley v Carlisle
Wrexham v Rochdale
Macclesfield v Stockport
Bury v Tranmere

Northern Section (East)
Hartlepool v Rotherham
Huddersfield v Doncaster
Bradford v Scunthorpe
Lincoln v Grimsby

Southern Section (East)
Brighton v Boston
Northampton v Brentford
Notts County v Barnet
Gillingham v Nottm Forest

Southern Section (West)
Wycombe v Swindon
Walsall v Swansea
Hereford v Shrewsbury
Bristol Rovers v Torquay

Didn't see the draw at all yesterday and saw no mention on Sky Sports News. Like the idea of more local derby's and the draw look pretty good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Sep. 24 2006,12:41)]Haven't the Conference teams always been in it, or am I confusing this with FM again?
No you are not confused, conference teams were aloud into it, but because the trophy was renamed the Football League Trophy, they decided to drop the conference teams out of it. Now they have renamed it, i can't see why they weren't aloud back in, unless it was a last minute thing.

Did 16 teams get a bye?! There's only 32 teams out of a possible 48 or am I missing something?

I like the new format, dont like the fact there is no extra time though, had some great ET fun in the LDV over the years, Brizzle at home, Marky Gower with a stunning silver goal winner

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Oct. 10 2006,15:31)]I like the new format, dont like the fact there is no extra time though, had some great ET fun in the LDV over the years, Brizzle at home, Marky Gower with a stunning silver goal winner
...and Roget scoring what I believe will be the only golden goal in the club's history.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Sep. 24 2006,17:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bluesmanager @ Sep. 24 2006,12:41)]Haven't the Conference teams always been in it, or am I confusing this with FM again?
No you are not confused, conference teams were aloud into it, but because the trophy was renamed the Football League Trophy, they decided to drop the conference teams out of it.  Now they have renamed it, i can't see why they weren't aloud back in, unless it was a last minute thing.
Ah, I think you too are confused. The Football League Trophy has been around for a fair while but has borne the names of no less than seven sponsors since its inception as the Associate Members' Cup in 1983 hence the confusion amonst younger fans than the Football League Trophy was a new name (it was first used in 1992/93 as the unsponsored official name of the competition); it has always been such for the past 23 years but under the guise of Freight Rover Trophy (84-87), the Sherpa Van Trophy (87-89), the Leyland DAF Cup (89-91), the Autoglass Trophy (91-94), the Auto Windscreens Shield (94-00), the LDV Vans Trophy (00-06) and now the Johnston's Paint Trophy (06-??).

Conference clubs have not "always been in it". They were first invited to enter the competition in the 2000/01 competition, initially just eight, but increased to 12 in 2002/03. Only those whose grounds met the criteria of the Football League in terms of crowd/ground safety were invited.

The competition has been revamped for the 2006/07 season (see above) and, after seven years of competition, Conference clubs are no longer invited to take part.

Back