• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE Matt Harrold thread

paynter, bradbury, hooper, foran, macdonald are in the same bracket as rooney and owen, but in my personal opinion i know id prefer a couple of those up front ahead of harrold.
Hooper? On what grounds you could possibly prefer Hooper to Harrold?

Hooper? On what grounds you could possibly prefer Hooper to Harrold?

A-ha - you noticed i was very smart when i listed several players and said id prefer only a couple in front of harrold ;)

he scored 9 goals in a season for a struggling yeovil when he was alot younger, give the guy a chance to fail at this level before getting on his back. we have 7 forwards:
Harrold 7
Paynter 2
Bradders 3
Mac 1
Hoops 1
Foran 0
Ademeno 0
some figures may be wrong but what there shows that we souldn't start with harrold?:flamer:

thats completely biased Josh... you could argue that Hooper has made two starts for a league 1 team and scored 2 goals so he should start. and also foran scored in 1 of only 2 starts up front for us.

if you look at goals per game:
----------------Apps-----Goals-----Games per Goal
Ademeno--------- 2 ------ 0 -------------
Bradbury-------- 46 ------ 5 --------- 9.2
Foran ---------- 15 ------ 1 --------- 15
Harrold --------- 36 ------ 3 --------- 12
Hooper ----------19------ 0 -------------
Paynter---------- 8 ------ 0 ------------

but then on loan in league one last season hoopers' ratio is actually a goal in every other game, and paynters' is just under 1 in 3.

my point is that stats can prove anything... IMO we should start with paynter and harrold but hooper has something about him and Foran hasn't had a chance. Bradbury will help out the rest of the team and set goals up and Ademeno must be good to have earnt his contract

Last edited:
At this stage of the season it means nothing - everyone is finding their feet. He is obviously in form, but as i say chances are more against weaker oppo. Think of it this way, crouch scored a hat trick against jamaica... does that mean if we had rooney and owen fit id play crouch and one of those 2 against brazil in a world cup final.... no way.

im not saying paynter, bradbury, hooper, foran, macdonald are in the same bracket as rooney and owen, but in my personal opinion i know id prefer a couple of those up front ahead of harrold.

im not going to go out and boo the guy, i just dont think he is ready just yet....

Agree with everything you say. Great that Harrold has finally learnt to put the ball in between them white sticks but still we have to keep our feet on the ground about him. He is more like the best of a bad bunch to be honest. No one except Freddy managed to cut it in the CCC, so now that we have dropped down a league I almost expect the rest of them to succeed in some way, although it doent mean that they will.

IMO If Harrold is the only one banging them in against these very average oppositions compared to what we were playing last year, then I think we are in big trouble come the new season.
Last season we relied too much on goals from midfield, i.e. 10 from Gower......we need two decent goalscorers this year with a few from midfield as a bonus and perhaps the often match winner.

I have said a million times, come match day I will be the first to get behind the team and wouldnt slate anyone without giving them a chance and like people say Harrold can only score against the team he is playing and fair enough and well done to him but I wont start taking notice until they start knocking them past some decent opposition.

Last edited:
ok pick two then, or if you had to pick two based on last season, who would you go for?

ok pick two then, or if you had to pick two based on last season, who would you go for?

wow - thats some challenge. Based on last season i would probably pick gower and barrett, as none of the forwards set the world on fire. Based on who i feel will do the best job for us this season, and obviously in my personal opinion, id have Paynter with Foran, Macdonald or Harrold (and in that order). If Paynter isnt available id have bradbury in for him. Dont get me wrong, im no Paynter worshipper, but can you honestly say he had a fair crack of the whip before the world got on his back??

but can you honestly say he had a fair crack of the whip before the world got on his back??
Probably not, but did he do as much as Harrold or even look like he was going to?

Probably not, but did he do as much as Harrold or even look like he was going to?

definitely looked equal to harrold. when paynter came here he lacked sharpness, fitness and confidence. he tried hard (maybe too hard) but when he finally started to look good he got injured. however for bradford he was excellent, i followed him closely and my mate who is a fan said he was top class. i have every faith that he will be better than harrold this year if he gets a fair chance

nope - but then he was on loan for the last part of the season so as good as harrold looked popping shots in from the edge of the box in the warm up its hard to make a fair comparison.

i guess the next couple of months will tell us a lot - hopefully the pair of them can score a heap of goals and we can both tell each other "i told you so"

In my personal opinion, id rate paynter above harrold. He has proved he can score at this this level with port vale,

Actually, Matt Harrold has a better goals per game rate at this level than Billy Paynter does.

As I said in the other thread, other than possibly Macca I thought Matt Harrold was comfortably our best player this evening. Worked hard, put himself around a lot, won most things in the air, dropped off and linked up well with the midfield and kept going for 90 minutes unlike most of his teammates who looked like they really didn't want to be out there.

Last edited:
Another two goals last night, I not getting 'excited' or saying he the new freddy eastwood but he has been the best striker during pre season and definitely deserves a chance come the season. He can do no more for his cause.

Back