• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The "Much Maligned" JPT

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
So what do we reckon about it ...

2003/04 ... we were treading water at the foot of L2, but somehow got on a run in this, and decent performances (and of course results) against Swindon*, QPR* and the farmer scum not only led us to a fantastic day (or weekend :puke) in Cardiff but was ultimately the saving of our club as we turned that cup form into league form and eventually escaped relegation comfortably (*or was this the following season ?? I cant be arsed to check really)

2004/05 ... we continued where we left off and made it to Cardiff again, on the back of a club record equalling unbeaten run, however this time it ultimately ****ed our season and we ended up in the play offs when the title was ours for the taking

2005/06 ... played our reserves at Rushden (who were relegated to the conference come seasons end) and lost a miserable game 1-0, yet we ended up as L1 Champions

Since our relegation from the CCC we really don't seem to have given this competition any sort of creedence and from what i gathered from the radio were lucky to escape with a 2 nil tonight when it could easily have been 5 or 6 (hats off to the 300 who travelled by the way :clap:) as we appeared to show no stomach for the threat posed by an admittedly good side (much as i hate MK for their very existance) .. i can only think this lacklustre attitude MUST have come from the management team .. it also galled me a little that we named only 4 subs tonight whereas in last seasons FA Cup we not only named but played 15 and 16 years olds (rule differential perhaps ??)

Well that's got that off my chest, off to bed now but in the meantime what do you think of this competition, and have we missed a chance tonight, either to really get the players up for it (Christ should they need motivating to pull on our hallowed shirt) or introduce a few of the kids to a match day squad

2003/04 ... we were treading water at the foot of L2, but somehow got on a run in this, and decent performances (and of course results) against Swindon*, QPR* and the farmer scum not only led us to a fantastic day (or weekend :puke) in Cardiff but was ultimately the saving of our club as we turned that cup form into league form and eventually escaped relegation comfortably (*or was this the following season ?? I cant be arsed to check really)

2004/05 ... we continued where we left off and made it to Cardiff again, on the back of a club record equalling unbeaten run, however this time it ultimately ****ed our season and we ended up in the play offs when the title was ours for the taking

2005/06 ... played our reserves at Rushden (who were relegated to the conference come seasons end) and lost a miserable game 1-0, yet we ended up as L1 Champions

Since our relegation from the CCC we really don't seem to have given this competition any sort of creedence and from what i gathered from the radio were lucky to escape with a 2 nil tonight when it could easily have been 5 or 6 (hats off to the 300 who travelled by the way :clap:) as we appeared to show no stomach for the threat posed by an admittedly good side (much as i hate MK for their very existance) .. i can only think this lacklustre attitude MUST have come from the management team .. it also galled me a little that we named only 4 subs tonight whereas in last seasons FA Cup we not only named but played 15 and 16 years olds (rule differential perhaps ??)

Well that's got that off my chest, off to bed now but in the meantime what do you think of this competition, and have we missed a chance tonight, either to really get the players up for it (Christ should they need motivating to pull on our hallowed shirt) or introduce a few of the kids to a match day squad

Its a decent competition for our level - lets be honest half a dozen games leading to an opportunity to play at Wembley - not many players at this level will ever get to play there so there's plenty to gain. It is also an opportunity to 'blood' some kids but we seem to send ours out on loan these days.

Anyway there's always next year...:headbang:

It's a great oppertunity to play at Wembley and we never seem to be bothered with it anymore.

Tilson said he was going to take it seriously, shame the players didn't.

Normally not bothered in the early rounds, but any defeat to the Franchise grates more than almost any other club. I'd rather we went out to Colchester, at least they have real fans (not many I grant you but more than that glory-hunting bunch of coonts)

Am I the only one who's not bothered in the slightest that we got knocked out tonight? The league has to be the priority, clubs with bigger squads will obviously want to do well in the JPT but we can't afford to have too many extra games with such a small squad!

Am I the only one who's not bothered in the slightest that we got knocked out tonight? The league has to be the priority, clubs with bigger squads will obviously want to do well in the JPT but we can't afford to have too many extra games with such a small squad!

Yes the league is the priority but it's frustrating that we've let a team walk all over us for the win.

If every player gives 100% and you come off the pitch on the losing side you hold your hands up and admit you have been beaten by the better side.

For Mildenhall and Sawyer to be the only players to come away with any sort of credability is embarrassing.

thought barratt played well...but mildy had some valuable shot stopping practice.....apart from that we were...well woeful.

AD these players will still pick up their £ 1k + a week, but the hardy followers who have paid around £ 25 for ticket, transport food, have to pocket this performance.

Sometimes the players and management and board have to realise who pays their wages !!!At least if you lose put in a show for those who are paying through the gate

whilst not losing any sleep after going out of the paintpot, its still a shame, could have bought in extra revenue and buzz, and for all its detractors, they cant see they wouldnt want to go to wembley! or deny the buzz it bought to the club when we went up to cardiff those times,
more dissapointed by the manner of the defeat, if we lose, we lose, if we dont bother to try that just takes the ****! as much as i dislike franchise FC, i kind of dont see them as a real club anyway!
Back to the league.....

I'm not bothered. We'll be at wembley for the fa cup final this year anyway. Wanting to be there for the jpt also is just being greedy.

The LDV didn't **** our 2004/05 season, losing ****ed our season. It just happened to be in the LDV that we lost. We rode the confidence that we built up in the LDV in the league all the way to the play-offs. We also got a play-off win out of it.

I think the LDV was critical to the success we've had under Tilly and I think he's missing a trick not treating it seriously. I'd make it the centre-piece of our season.

Its a real shame to be out of the competition, as Mildenhall says on the OS, its 4 games until Wembley in this competition.

Realistically we won't get to the FA or Carling Cup finals (Already out of that one), and its a slim possibility we'd make the play-offs let alone the final so this was a realistic chance to make the final and give us a day out to remember.

Winning breds confidence, and having got back on track up at Stockport we let the hard work go to waste with a poor defeat at MK Dons. Don't get me wrong, I'd have taken a defeat on Tuesday night if it meant a win Friday night, as the league is our bread and butter.

The lads very rarely let us down in terms of workrate and application, even at Brentford and the home defeat by Oldham the work was there, but by all accounts it wasn't there on Tuesday.

Lets get behind the again on Friday, and get another 3 points on board. A win would put us on the outskirts of the play-offs.

I think the LDV was critical to the success we've had under Tilly and I think he's missing a trick not treating it seriously.

That is pretty much my opinion, those first couple of seasons we didn't make any changes, and the continuity in the side obviously helped, however since that 2nd final we seem to have considered it a nuisance and something we need to be out of as soon as possible .. i'm just wondering why the change of thinking

That is pretty much my opinion, those first couple of seasons we didn't make any changes, and the continuity in the side obviously helped, however since that 2nd final we seem to have considered it a nuisance and something we need to be out of as soon as possible .. i'm just wondering why the change of thinking

Maybe something to do with our lack of strength in depth. Blueblood said we played our reserve side at the Rushden game in 2005. Nowadays our reserve side seems to be made up of 3 or 4 first team players and the rest all trialists. Perhaps the management dont want to risk unnessasary injuries and bookings which would stretch our resources in league games even more than now.

Maybe something to do with our lack of strength in depth. Blueblood said we played our reserve side at the Rushden game in 2005. Nowadays our reserve side seems to be made up of 3 or 4 first team players and the rest all trialists. Perhaps the management dont want to risk unnessasary injuries and bookings which would stretch our resources in league games even more than now.

I can remember Rushden 2005 LDV game & yes we were pretty poor, but we did not play our reserves, the line up that day (thanks to SUFC Database):-

Darryl FLAHAVAN
Duncan JUPP
Che WILSON
Adam BARRETT
Spencer PRIOR
Mark GOWER
Jay SMITH
Kevin MAHER
Jamal CAMPBELL-RYCE
Freddy EASTWOOD
Wayne GRAY

Subs:-
James LAWSON for Gower(71)
Mark BENTLEY for Smith(81)
Lewis Hunt
Carl Pettefer
Luke Guttridge

We made some changes from the previous game at Doncaster but I would not call the above line up a reserve team.

Last edited:
Thanks for that UtS .. as you say (and i seem to recall) we made 7 changes from the side that had just won 8 on the bounce before losing at Donny, yet that still looks one hell of a team we put out

I'm a little disappointed we're out. For one thing, winning can become a habit and a good run in the JPT would, I think, do us more good than harm. There is also the carrot of Wembley; to see Southend United play there would be amazing.

I've asked Cricko about the time we played a league game there back in the 1930s; he said he enjoyed it, but the younger fans made quite a lot of noise which upset him and he left 15 minutes to early to 'get a good run'

Back