• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The new Doctor Who to be a woman

At the time it was announced that Capaldi was quitting , there were a number of comments about the original Dr Who story mentioning a limit to the number of regenerations to 12 Drs

Yes, I know....part of the reason I was so disappointed in Capaldi as the "final" Doctor!

At the time it was announced that Capaldi was quitting , there were a number of comments about the original Dr Who story mentioning a limit to the number of regenerations to 12 Drs

Yep, I used to read a lot of the books when I was at school and watched a lot of the classic series and from what I remember the Master mentioned the 12 regenerations limit in an episode from 1976 and I believe it was mentioned a couple of times in other classic episodes since but as long as it makes money and retains the viewing figures the writers will find a way to keep it going.

It is a fictional programme, so the writers and producers can do what they like.

I seem to recall that the 12 regenerations 'rule' was introduced when William Hartnall left, but who would have thought the series would still being made 50+ years later.

I can still remember watching Patrick Troughton as the Doctor with the Yetis in the underground. Classic television.

River Song gave the Doctor her regenerations,

You could avoid all forms of social media for the last few days and still know exactly who would react negatively to this and who wouldn't. Obviously the Mail, Sun, Express are not happy either.

But as a traditionalist , isnt this one regeneration too many ?

One of the Christmas episodes had him getting more regenerations from Time Lords who are trapped in another dimension, that's what Wikipedia says anyway, I wasn't too sure what was going on. Airing a confusing episode to explain how The Doctor can keep regenerating on a day where everyone will be drunk wasn't the best idea from the BBC.

My daughter is so happy that the new Dr is a female so great stuff.

Excellent. If this decision makes even one girl happy - and it'll be many more than that of course - then that's worth a million angry BTL comments on Mail Online and bitter Facebook posts.

I only had a look to see if there were any (ahem) pics of the new doctor . :blush: it was purely for research .

jodie-whittaker-doctor-who.jpg

I am a geek. Ok.

Time Lords get 12 regenerations. However, Matt Smith should have been the last Doctor because

a. John Hurt's War Doctor was not included in the count
b. David Tennant's kinda regenerated into a duplicate human form

This was all explained in Smith's last episode when he had aged and was waiting to die. However, the Time Lords in the space rift (the crack) gave him an unlimited number of regenerations. A "reset" as Smith called it immediately prior to his eulogy.

So, essentially, we do not now know how many regenerations are left....

Back