• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

IloveShrimp

Director⭐
I went with my son to the Spammers new mighty stadium last night. 54,000 people, a hike to my seat up in the land of the gods (a parachute under my seat) and near heart failure to get there.

It made me think though, would I really want my beloved Shrimpers to go that far? My answer was a resounding NO!

Why?

Nightmare to get in and out of the stadium with so many people
Nightmare to get the train home (2 1/2 hours from Stratford to Wickford via Liverpool Street)
Food drink prices horrendous
The thought of needing to use the loo with trepidation as would have to make the mountain hike back to my seat again
The players looked about 6 inches tall
No emotional connection with the players
It was like watching an indoor game, no sun beating down or worries on which way to kick 1st half due to the wind or sun = no pre match discussion about the conditions

Nah give me a small intense stadium with a connection the the players over this any day!!

I understand what you mean. Certainly think Wembleys another example where it felt incredibly corporate, completely different feel to watchin a regular game which I didn't like. That said if we ever did get a new stadium (not holding my breath, not convinced it will happen in the next 15 years) I'm sure size wise it'd be a lot smaller. I think Swansea is a good example of a stadium with good facilities but still with plenty of atmosphere and a close feel to the pitch.

Two words... The Amex. Best new ground I've been to. If I were to choose a blueprint for our new stadium, Brighton's superb ground would be the one for me.

I don't think Southend United will ever need to worry about the inconveniences associated with a 54,000 capacity home ground.

10 minute queue for programme, 30 minute queue for food and the walk to the station is a joke. Tick in a box, move on

It's a disgrace people can't go without a bit of food for an hour and half. No wonder this country is going to the dogs.

I went with my son to the Spammers new mighty stadium last night. 54,000 people, a hike to my seat up in the land of the gods (a parachute under my seat) and near heart failure to get there.

It made me think though, would I really want my beloved Shrimpers to go that far? My answer was a resounding NO!

Why?

Nightmare to get the train home (2 1/2 hours from Stratford to Wickford via Liverpool Street)
The thought of needing to use the loo with trepidation as would have to make the mountain hike back to my seat again
It was like watching an indoor game, no sun beating down or worries on which way to kick 1st half due to the wind or sun = no pre match discussion about the conditions

Nah give me a small intense stadium with a connection the the players over this any day!!

I was there too. I pretty much agree with all of this. I don't agree with the view though, no worse than Wembley. I found the bright white RICOH advert flashing on the scoreboard everytime the ball went out of play to be bloody annoying.

The logistics were an absolute pig, and I am not quite sure what will happen when a large London based support roll up on the trains. There is only one way in and one way out. And they are going to stop access to the shopping centre!!

To be fair, most new grounds won't be like the Olympic Stadium. That place just isn't a football ground. It was an incredible venue to watch athletics four years ago but I'd never want to see a football game there.

Intrigued why you went via Liverpool Street on the way home ?!?

It was built as an athletics stadium for the Olympics. We were lucky enough to have tickets then up in the gods and the bogs were a serious walk away. The Olympics football in London was played at Wembley.....nuff said on that I think. All this wonderful feedback couldn't happen to a nicer club.:thumbsup:

These mega stadia can spoil it

Sounds like the stone cold atmosphere at the LDV final -v- Blackpool in Cardiff, having just come down from the Col Ewe game at RH it was a major anticlimax.

Well done Hamsters, just goes to show - be careful what you wish for...

on the other hand I do like the new Wembley, know what I mean

Ive been to the Emirates a few times and it depends on where you sit. Sat in the corporate area behind the goal and it was noisy and a great atmosphere. However sat up in the nose bleeds on other occasions and far more sterile atmosphere and not one I would crave. Same goes for Wembley, its good in the lower tier but in the upper you are too far away.

As said above, something like the Amex stadium would be amazing though.

Why?

Were you made to feel welcome?

Intrigued why you went via Liverpool Street on the way home ?!?

Many of us could not get on to the train at Stratford cos of the crowds and that Obellio Greater Anglia decided to send a train with only 8 coaches (they must have known about the thousands that would want to get back to Southend and all stations in between!. We jumped onto the train going to Liverpool st in the hope we could get on the next train, this however was then cancelled (without apology) and we ended up getting the Ispwich train to Shenfield which (guess what) was packed with West Ham fans. Stratford was still packed too.

Why?

As a West Ham fan, I was at the game.

Which side were you? The West Stand is a lot further away from the pitch than the East.

A nightmare because of the people is a price you pay for success. To say you wouldn't want it is saying you wouldn't want Southend to be successful, in my opinion.

Why live in Wickford? I jest. I used to. I left after 85 minutes. I was back at home in Leigh on Sea at 1045pm. C2C rocks. Stratford will be a nightmare I agree, but not necessarily the standard problem of a large stadium so don't worry about that.

Food prices on a par with any London venue. It's disgraceful I agree. Take food and drink with you. I paid last night - I won't again.

You won't need the loo if you are too tight to buy a drink. :winking: i went after 42 mins - straight in no problem - was it a shocker at HT?

Go to Specsavers.

You can emotionally connect with players at a smaller ground? How? I bow to your powers.

Indoor football is quality.

Can't believe you went to watch West Ham - what a traitor!

Neither yes nor no really. One thing I noticed too was the diversity of the crowd. Never seen so many females or ethnic groups at a football mach.. gave it a real family atmosphere!

Ticket prices helped and the draw of visiting the stadium. Much like the Arsenal who attract a load of tourists to home games.

Back