• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

To celebrate the fact that only 5 teams have scored more goals and only 5 teams have conceded more, here's a thread dedicated for people to moan about our forwards.

OK- no one else ahs picked up the bait so I will (and I know its not this simple )

If we had the 6th best defendsice record, to go with our 6th best goal scorring record we would ahve conceedd 6 less goals. This would have given us between 5 and 9 goals , which would have put us between 4th , and joint top on points . calulations below
Best case

Stockport 1 goal , 2 points
Morecambe 2 goals, 3 points
Aldershot 2 goals, 3 points
Northampton 1 goal 1 point

Total 9 points 6 goals

Worst case
Morecambe 1 goals- 1 point
Hereford 1 goal – no diff
Northampton 1 goal- 1 point
Torquay 1 goal 1 point
Port vale 2 goals 2 points

Total 5 points 6 goals

OK- no one else ahs picked up the bait so I will (and I know its not this simple )

If we had the 6th best defendsice record, to go with our 6th best goal scorring record we would ahve conceedd 6 less goals. This would have given us between 5 and 9 goals , which would have put us between 4th , and joint top on points . calulations below
Best case

Stockport 1 goal , 2 points
Morecambe 2 goals, 3 points
Aldershot 2 goals, 3 points
Northampton 1 goal 1 point

Total 9 points 6 goals

Worst case
Morecambe 1 goals- 1 point
Hereford 1 goal – no diff
Northampton 1 goal- 1 point
Torquay 1 goal 1 point
Port vale 2 goals 2 points

Total 5 points 6 goals

Bury have exactly the same as us 12 For and 12 against yet they are 6th , mind you they are only 2 points better off

To celebrate the fact that only 5 teams have scored more goals and only 5 teams have conceded more, here's a thread dedicated for people to moan about our forwards.

You are presumably including the biggest moaner of them all ... Paul Sturrock, our Manager no less, who according to the SUFC site last week "is hunting for firepower"

For the record, we have scored 12 goals in 8 League games. 6 have come from midfield and our top goalscorer is a midfielder.

And no, I'm not moaning. I'm happy to see us in mid-table, given the events of the past few months. BUT, if we are to figure in the promotion stakes we definitely need a proven goalscorer IMHO.

I'm sure this won't be the last time someone points this out just this week but Sturrock has been promoted from this division with a defender as top scorer. Goals from strikers aren't worth any more than goals from midfield or the back.

At this level you don't buy 20+ goal strikers, put those that have into a poor team they score 8 a season. you either go to lower divisions a find a gem eg. Eastwood or higher division and go for youth eg. Jarvis (hopefully) to find a 20+ a season goalscorer, The likes of Corr can score 20+ goals a season, if the team plays well and keeps putting the ball on his head 6 yards out then yes he will score some of those

Personally I really could give a monkeys if we got a 20 goal a season striker in or not.. AS LONG AS everyone else is chipping in with the goals. Just look how much we relied on Barnard last season.

One player at this level CAN be the difference between winning the league and not getting into the play-offs. But at the same time most of the teams that do get promoted from this division with one player as the star man tend to struggle the following season. When we got promoted from League 2, yes we had Eastwood, but when you look back at the team we had, we were strong pretty much everywhere, with a mixture of experience and youth throught the whole squad. The same happened to Peterborough when they went straight through the divisions. Yes the had Maclean who was grabbing the headlines, but they also had a very good squad, including Mackail-Smith and Boyd.

Teams like those tend to be harder to defend against because you can't just single out one player to stop playing, but have to work hard to stop goals from all over the pitch, hence why the better "teams" tend to be more successful.

You are presumably including the biggest moaner of them all ... Paul Sturrock, our Manager no less, who according to the SUFC site last week "is hunting for firepower"

For the record, we have scored 12 goals in 8 League games. 6 have come from midfield and our top goalscorer is a midfielder.

And no, I'm not moaning. I'm happy to see us in mid-table, given the events of the past few months. BUT, if we are to figure in the promotion stakes we definitely need a proven goalscorer IMHO.

I don't think we had a proven goalscorer the last three times we were promoted from this divsion. Eastwood certainly wasn't proven at this level, Crown was IIRC converted from a winger and Cadette was unproven.

As for Sturrock hunting for more forwards - Paterson and Spencer look too lightweight to do a job, so Sturrock needs extra forwards to complement Corr and Sturrock, who often run themselves into the ground - not a problem we had when Constantine was banging in the goals whilst we were challenging for 18th.

I don't think we had a proven goalscorer the last three times we were promoted from this divsion. Eastwood certainly wasn't proven at this level, Crown was IIRC converted from a winger and Cadette was unproven.

Any of the above are considered legends and definitely knock what we have into the proverbial cocked hat!

Freddy Eastwood didn't start until October the season we were promoted and still scored 24 goals. NOT PROVEN?

Cadette 85/86 = 25 goals: 86/87 (Promoted) = 31 goals. NOT PROVEN?

Crown 88/89 = 29 goals: 89/90 (Promoted) = 23 goals. NOT PROVEN?

Some considerable way off the mark with your facts "Yorkshire Blue". We most certainly had a proven goalscorer on the occasions you mention.

Last edited:
It's all about opinions and for what it's worth, any of the above are considered legends and definitely knock what we have into the proverbial cocked hat!

Freddy Eastwood didn't start until October the season we were promoted and still scored 24 goals. NOT PROVEN?

Eastwood proved himself with Southend. He certainly wasn't proven at league level when we signed him - if you'd had heard of him when he signed you were very much in the minority. If you'd had had your way, you wouldn't have given him a chance in 2004 because he was still then unproven.

Corr may yet prove himself to be a 20 goal a season man - with 4 goals in 7 starts he's on track for that sort of return.

So proven at League level was Eastwood that, until February, nobody knew how old he was...

OK, so Eastwood proved himself the season we were promoted. But Crown and Cadette were proven goalscorers when we were promoted.

OK, so Eastwood proved himself the season we were promoted. But Crown and Cadette were proven goalscorers when we were promoted.

I forget the exact chronogology off the top of my head, but they weren't proven when they signed for us. It was only through playing games that they were proven one way or the other.

I forget the exact chronogology off the top of my head, but they weren't proven when they signed for us. It was only through playing games that they were proven one way or the other.

Crowny was - 45 in 106 games for Cambridge. Indeed, he scored 9 in 17 before joining us mid-season. He had also done well at Portsmouth before Cambridge. Before that, he was used as a winger.

Cadette- not proven, 4 in 21 for Orient before coming to us.

Saw an excellent striker make his debut (and score the only goal) for Espanyol yesterday.His name's Alvarito.I very much doubt if he'll get anything like 20 goals this season but at 19 he's one to watch for the future.Unfortunately PS can forget about including him on his continental scouting trips as he signed an extended contract with Espanyol last week.

Saw an excellent striker make his debut (and score the only goal) for Espanyol yesterday.His name's Alvarito.I very much doubt if he'll get anything like 20 goals this season but at 19 he's one to watch for the future.Unfortunately PS can forget about including him on his continental scouting trips as he signed an extended contract with Espanyol last week.

Thanks for that. I had a nice chicken salad roll for lunch. Little too much mayo, but a perfect proportion of chicken:salad.

All of which makes absolutley no difference to the fact that they were proven goalscorers in the seasons we achieved promotion. Having scored 25 and 29 goals in the seasons prior to our success. I've nothing against Corr and Sturrock, but I don't think as a strikeforce they will yield enough goals for us to gain promotion.

Back