• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Olympics thread

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Ok, so what's everyone looking forward to? Hopefully GB will fill their boots in the track cycling, plus I'm really hoping Phillips Idowu does it in the triple jump, although I've got a nasty feeling he won't.

One of the stars of the track and field should be the Croatian high jumper Blanka Vlasic. The girl is a total star - best in the world and she knows it. Elsewhere, you've got Michael Phelps going for eight golds in one Olympics. Even if he doesn't win all eight, he's bound to murder the current career record of nine golds, held by, among others, Carl Lewis and Paavo Nurmi.

Can't wait :clap:

I'm looking forward to catching up on a few books, the Olympics is a huge borefest for me I'm afraid! Good luck to those that enjoy it, but I think that any Olympic type threads from here on in will be largely OBL free! The SZFC guys will be pleased to hear that!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to catching up on a few books, the Olympics is a huge borefest for me I'm afraid! Good luck to those that enjoy it, but I think that any Olympic type threads from here on in will be largely OBL free! The SZFC guys will be pleased to hear that!

I meant to put in my original post - if you're not interested, no need to post.

You don't see me in Ricey's threads about cars do you?

We're meant to be looking strong in the boxing, cycling & sailing. I hope that 13 year old british kid wins something in the diving. I look forward to the unexpected medals though, the ones where we're not expected to do well, but through extraordinarly effort manage a medal. It's inspiring stuff. It may sound trite but it's great seeing people from all over the world, different religions & cultures competing together peacefully, showing off the best of our race. Which let's face it seems a pretty rare thing these days.

Ewwww that was cheesy, i feel the need to go and dip myself in a bath of negativity & cynicism now.

My favourite Olympic moments:

Sydney 2000. Eric "The Eel". Nuff said.

Los Angeles 1984 and Daley Thompson

Athens 2004. Kelly Holmes at the age of 34 winning 800m and 1500m

18. Barcelona 1992. Britain's Derek Redmond tore his right hamstring in the semi-final of the 400m and fell to the ground. When he saw the stretcher-bearers running towards him he began to hobble on one leg down his lane, at which point his father elbowed past officials to assist him to the finishing line. It won a rousing ovation from the 65,000 crowd. Can't watch reruns without crying at that one.

Sydney 2000 - Steve Redgrave's win in the men's coxless four made it five golds

Atlanta 1996. Muhammad Ali lit the torch at the opening ceremony while suffering from Parkinson's

1980 - Ovett and Coe...

One of my favourites came at Sydney in 2000.

Steve Backley had just beaten the Olympic record to go ahead in the javelin. The TV cameras panned to a pic of Jan Zelezny, the defending champion and Backley's nemesis for the previous decade. Behind him, you could see the Olympic flame and on his face was a look that said "Pretty good Backley, pretty good".

Up he steps and beats Backley's Olympic record, which lasted all of two minutes, to win gold. A true champion and totally brilliant.

Cheering on fellow Canvey Islander Dean Macey at the Olympic Stadium in Athens four years ago flying my 'ESSEX' adorned GB flag was pretty cool too :)

My favourite Olympic moments:

Sydney 2000. Eric "The Eel". Nuff said.

Los Angeles 1984 and Daley Thompson

Athens 2004. Kelly Holmes at the age of 34 winning 800m and 1500m

18. Barcelona 1992. Britain's Derek Redmond tore his right hamstring in the semi-final of the 400m and fell to the ground. When he saw the stretcher-bearers running towards him he began to hobble on one leg down his lane, at which point his father elbowed past officials to assist him to the finishing line. It won a rousing ovation from the 65,000 crowd. Can't watch reruns without crying at that one.

Sydney 2000 - Steve Redgrave's win in the men's coxless four made it five golds

Atlanta 1996. Muhammad Ali lit the torch at the opening ceremony while suffering from Parkinson's

1980 - Ovett and Coe...

The Redgrave one did make me well up a bit and was a truly great moment in sport. Also would second the Kelly Holmes nomination, especially where it was fairly close on the last straight but he mental strenght and determination meant there was only one winner.

Whatever happened afterwards regarding drugs tainting him and the event, Linford Christie winning the gold in Barcelona was pretty special. Id always seen him as a nearly man....never quite being able to be up there with the Lewis's of the event, but to win the show piece event was special.

One of my favourites came at Sydney in 2000.

Steve Backley had just beaten the Olympic record to go ahead in the javelin. The TV cameras panned to a pic of Jan Zelezny, the defending champion and Backley's nemesis for the previous decade. Behind him, you could see the Olympic flame and on his face was a look that said "Pretty good Backley, pretty good".

Up he steps and beats Backley's Olympic record, which lasted all of two minutes, to win gold. A true champion and totally brilliant.

Cheering on fellow Canvey Islander Dean Macey at the Olympic Stadium in Athens four years ago flying my 'ESSEX' adorned GB flag was pretty cool too :)

I loved the Backley/Zelezny battle. Who was the other UK guy, who never quite made it?

You've got something on your shoulder, OBL ... !!

:whistling:

Im looking foward to the track Cycling, Hopefully Team GB can get 8/10 gold medals like they want

I love the Olympics. In particular I enjoy track cycling, rowing, field events and sprints. Hate any running above 1500m, swimming (generally) and anything with horses.

I'm looking forward to seeing if my guess of the number of athletes getting done for drugs is accurate. I've said it before, there are some sports that are so tainted that I can't help thinking they're all up to something.

As far as i'm concerned some sports (eg athletics) is just a trade fair for the illegal drugs companies.

"Blimey, you ran fast. What are you taking, and where can I get some?"

Back