• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

milhouse

Not this on-line pub but "the" English pub. RIP? I guess most of you guys visit the hostelry occasionally. For how long is that going to be possible other than via faceless characterless town centre mega-pubs?

There was a programme on the radio last night about locals taking over their own local. As I'm sure most of you know, pubs are closing at an alarming rate, especially in rural areas.

It seems to me that the Labour government treated pubs with a callous ambivalence, at best, with no acknowledgement of the role that they play in communities.

That's OK, though, because we've had a change of government, so presumably this approach has changed? NO! Osborne continued with the pattern of swingeing tax rises on pub's products. Other small businesses are (at least supposedly) nurtured and protected from taxes imposed on those with the "broadest shoulders". Does that apply to pubs? No, they are special cases for persecution by the government when it comes to taxation. No tax breaks and disproprotionate tax on their 'wet' products. The government don't even pay lip service to helping these businesses, whether small (i.e free houses) or mid/large (i.e. brewery owned).

When will our government wake up and at least delivery a level playing field as against the mega-supermarkets who have laughed all the way to the bank when it comes to the pitiful minimum price for alcohol in a hilariously pathetic sop to those who want to see an end to outrageously cheap alcohol (none of it of course relevant to pubs).

Wake up the government, acknowledge the essential role that pubs play and help local communities by assisting the local pub.

The only place proper pubs play their traditional role is in villages in the wilds and backwaters of this country. Having been down to Benfleet tonight for a leaving do, I can confirm that the pubs down there are doing a roaring trade though, in spite of the supermarkets!

The only place proper pubs play their traditional role is in villages in the wilds and backwaters of this country. Having been down to Benfleet tonight for a leaving do, I can confirm that the pubs down there are doing a roaring trade though, in spite of the supermarkets!

Absolute rubbish. Pubs are just as much an urban establishment... Check out the industrial north

City centres have become the haunt of the Wetherspoons/All Bar One thing definitely, but outside of them you still get the "ordinary" pubs. 3 in walking distance from my house - though 1 did close for over a year recently.

City centres have become the haunt of the Wetherspoons/All Bar One thing definitely, but outside of them you still get the "ordinary" pubs. 3 in walking distance from my house - though 1 did close for over a year recently.

For now...

Anne Boleyn was shut recently due to refurbishment as well - think they are owned by the same company!?

Back