• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
With the loan window opening later next week and Hall probably going out on loan to Blackpool (Perm in Jan) how will we cope?...

Are the current available players able to fill his boots?

Are the likes of Hurst, Tomlin, Leonard and Straker capable of producing the goods?

Will Dave Martin be given another chance?

Or is a winger a must in the window, along with a couple of CM's and a target man? (Presuming we have the funds and no Umbongo's hanging over us AGAIN...)

Or are we royally screwed when he goes?

Last edited:
Have not done too bad last two games. We are never going to keep our best players whilst in League 2. Rather have a Dave Martin with a point to prove, or Kevan Hurst eager to impress at start of two year contract, than a Ryan Hall with his heart elsewhere.

I thought what looked more evident was a lack of anyone attacking balls put into the box so a big centre forward is first place I would strengthen

If we sign Assombalonga for an extended loan I wouldn't be surprised to see Benyon go out for a month potentially.

A replacement winger on loan would be nice but we can probably just about cope with Martin, Hurst and Tomlin if they can all stay fit. Hurst has shown he has good delivery IMHO which is very important as (although no-one can replace the quality that Hall gave us) it would mean Hall's departure should affect us less than it could have potentially.

Could do with a targetman as another option, and for Eastwood to get himself fit as I'd like to see what he can do alongside Assombalonga.

Oh and another CM (at least one actually) is an absolute MUST.

Does anybody know what the situation is with scott donnelly? seeing as we now have 2CM's and just lost one, freeing up some wages, why we haven't signed him

I'm guessing it's too late for Brogan now? Or can you sign players from BSN sides outside the window?

Martin, Hurst and Leonard are good wingers for this level, albeit none with the spark of Hall, but no-one in this league has that spark. Tomlin sounds decent from what's been said too.

Would hope for strengthening in central midfield to add depth, a winger on loan (or Brogan if possible) would be nice, but that'd just be an extra for me.

Ryan Hall ON HIS DAY is a very good player at this level but we are not a one man team and he hasn't had many of his days lately. The only reason Hall got as many assists as he did last year was that he took practically every set piece.

I would also like to remind Southend fans that every single promotion in our history has been earned without him in the squad.

Why this absolute fixation for one player? When we do get a player that is irreplaceable (Collymore, Bailey and possibly Eastwood, although he didn't develop) then he isn't going to stick around for that long. We should be pleased we'll get some money for him as he isn't anywhere near the quality of the others I've mentioned.

We coped before he was here and we'll cope again. We scored from one of Hurst's corners on Saturday so all is not lost.

Ryan Hall ON HIS DAY is a very good player at this level but we are not a one man team and he hasn't had many of his days lately. The only reason Hall got as many assists as he did last year was that he took practically every set piece.

I would also like to remind Southend fans that every single promotion in our history has been earned without him in the squad.

Why this absolute fixation for one player? When we do get a player that is irreplaceable (Collymore, Bailey and possibly Eastwood, although he didn't develop) then he isn't going to stick around for that long. We should be pleased we'll get some money for him as he isn't anywhere near the quality of the others I've mentioned.

We coped before he was here and we'll cope again. We scored from one of Hurst's corners on Saturday so all is not lost.

Exactly a point I was going to make, plus how many goals came from set pieces too.

Now I'm not so daft as to think we wont miss him at all, but I'm sure we have enough players in our squad that can take a free kick or corner. In fact didn't Dave Martin score from an intelligent free kick last season against Plymouth or Hereford, cant remember which now. Give the man a run on the left wing, I'm sure we'd soon be thinking Ryan who?

Not convinced that Hall has gone yet (perhaps a poll is needed?) maybe Loggy's persuasive powers can get Ryan to knuckle down and finish his last session with the Blues 'en beauté', gefore leaving in January.
If he goes surely there's got to be some arrangement with Blackpool to be obliged to take him permenantly in January? I presume, with that agreement, there would be no money yet, so where do we gain..........apart from getting a player, who may not want to be here, off our books? Perhaps someone could explain the options and the avenue which profits us the best.
As to life after Hall, well, from what I heard we were pretty alive and kicking on Saturday. I'm pretty sure that, at this level, Loggy can assemble a side that will be successful.......the team on Saturday will surely improve in time. For me the problem is not so much whether or not we shall continue with the services of Hall but the strength in depth of the squad. As I mentioned on another thread we now desperately need to bring in two or three players on loan, (It's not me that says that but PS himself). It is also essential that we extend the loan period of Assombalonga..............Christ! for once we have found a loanee who is effective up front WE CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE HIM! Sods law tells me that if we don't increase the squad, injuries and suspensions will soon find us out, better to get bodies in now than search in desperation for emergency loans when the need arises.

Not convinced that Hall has gone yet (perhaps a poll is needed?) maybe Loggy's persuasive powers can get Ryan to knuckle down and finish his last session with the Blues 'en beauté', gefore leaving in January.
If he goes surely there's got to be some arrangement with Blackpool to be obliged to take him permenantly in January? I presume, with that agreement, there would be no money yet, so where do we gain..........apart from getting a player, who may not want to be here, off our books? Perhaps someone could explain the options and the avenue which profits us the best.
As to life after Hall, well, from what I heard we were pretty alive and kicking on Saturday. I'm pretty sure that, at this level, Loggy can assemble a side that will be successful.......the team on Saturday will surely improve in time. For me the problem is not so much whether or not we shall continue with the services of Hall but the strength in depth of the squad. As I mentioned on another thread we now desperately need to bring in two or three players on loan, (It's not me that says that but PS himself). It is also essential that we extend the loan period of Assombalonga..............Christ! for once we have found a loanee who is effective up front WE CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE HIM! Sods law tells me that if we don't increase the squad, injuries and suspensions will soon find us out, better to get bodies in now than search in desperation for emergency loans when the need arises.

I guess the only benefit for now is getting them to take 100% of his wages from us. Might not be much, but should free up a slot or two for replacements.

Anyone thinking Hall is staying needs wake up and smell the coffee hel is gone, his transfer only didnt go through because of time. He wants out and will not play for us again.

We will miss him of course, just because he took all set pieces does not devalue him, I dont remember Maher having the same amount of assists when he was here.

As for who can fill the void, certainly not Leonard on recent performances. Havent seen anything of Hurst yet and who knows whats going on with Martin.

Anyone thinking Hall is staying needs wake up and smell the coffee hel is gone, his transfer only didnt go through because of time. He wants out and will not play for us again.

I don't get these uses of absolutes. Why not see what happens first?

Obviously he's going sooner rather than later but it's hardly out of the question that he plays for us again.

I'm not dismissing anything anyone has said. But it's pretty incredible how everyone seems to know exactly what is going on isn't it?

Anyway back on track, I think we have more than adequate replacements in Hall's position!

Hurst put in some decent set pieces but as he said himself he was Wycombes best player apart from that. Martin blows hot and cold. We will miss the double figures of assists and goals he provides just as we will miss Kanes goals from midfield and Mohsni's too. I feel we still need a couple of better quality players in the midfield. Scott Donnelly and Craig Mcallister (played for Luggy at Sheff Weds) both available.

Have not done too bad last two games. We are never going to keep our best players whilst in League 2. Rather have a Dave Martin with a point to prove, or Kevan Hurst eager to impress at start of two year contract, than a Ryan Hall with his heart elsewhere.

Apparently we had a better win ratio last season in the games Hall didn't play. I don't know if that is true, but I was told it by someone I trust. (It may even have been true at the time, but not at the end of the season.)

As good as Ryan Hall is, he is only one player. I also feel we were a better team without him, purely because he can be greedy at times, and also because we rely on him too much. I know he was top of the assists chart last season, but that is down to two things:

• He is very good.
  • He took all our set pieces, so no-one else got a look in.

We don't know if anyone else at the club is any good, because they never got a chance. Personally, I don't think our set pieces were any worse on Saturday than they usually are. So would Ryan Hall be a big loss? Yes, because he's good, and we don't have the biggest squad in the world. Is he replaceable? Also yes. Would him leaving make or break our season? No.

Hurst put in some decent set pieces but as he said himself he was Wycombes best player apart from that. Martin blows hot and cold. We will miss the double figures of assists and goals he provides just as we will miss Kanes goals from midfield and Mohsni's too. I feel we still need a couple of better quality players in the midfield. Scott Donnelly and Craig Mcallister (played for Luggy at Sheff Weds) both available.

No he didn't. He said that he was Wycombe's best player in the 10 minutes between his injury (which left him blind in one eye) and finally being substituted.

Leonard is very capable on the right and links up well with Clohessy. Could use Tomlin on the left when Martin INJURED / UNFIT

We have the players capable to fill his boots

Back