• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The sacked manager thread

Again another odd sacking of Bignot imo. He got Grimsby back out of the Conference league after 6 years of non league football. & of course, he got them promoted and are currently comfortably mid table back in Division 2. What more did they expect of him? back to back promotions and into Division One with a low budget and crowd attendance.

Talking of Orient, Russell Slade is expecting to be announced tomorrow as Grimsby's new (returning) manager.

If he is the man for the job, he hasn't had the best of luck lately:

Sacked by Cardiff in May 2016
Sacked by Charlton November 2016
Sacked by Coventry March 2017

On the other hand re above, people wanted Brown sacked at the start of the season, when we had injuries and a poor run, after a promotion season , so he looked liked he survived well at Grimsby

UTS

Again another odd sacking of Bignot imo. He got Grimsby back out of the Conference league after 6 years of non league football. & of course, he got them promoted and are currently comfortably mid table back in Division 2. What more did they expect of him? back to back promotions and into Division One with a low budget and crowd attendance.
Bignot didn't take them up, he was appointed in November after Paul Hurst left for Shrewsbury, but he's still done a decent job since, especially considering they sold Omar Bogle in January.

Kevin Nugent of Barnet is the latest cull after just 2 months in charge. Again another pointless sacking, as Barnet were never going to go back down to the Conference again. Comfortable mid table finish i reckon.

Zola resigns from Birmingham City after losing to Burton.

Edit: Harry Redknapp takes over the role.

Last edited:
So as an update:

49th: Dave Jones (Hartlepool)
50th: Dermot Drummy (Crawley)
51st: Luke Williams (Swindon)

No real surprises there.

Perhaps Drummy at Crawley was a bit harsh, after all they aren't predominantly whats known as a "big club" even in Division Two, and what with their low budget and an average attendance of just 2,492, he did finish them a place higher (and 4 points more) than last seasons finish place. That's progress at least, albeit baby step progress.

Personally, I think they have idea's way above their station.

Despite the high number, It's actually not been a bad year for managers this season (unless you accept a job offer from Leyton Orient :smile:) in comparison, I believe last season saw 94 sackings / resignations across the EFL.

Last edited:
David Moyes resigns from Sunderland. I can't say i'm surprised at that news.

I never really rated him since he left Everton.

Not a sacking, Harry Kewell has been made Crawley Town manager.

Now confirmed he has resigned and says he will not be managing again!

Now confirmed he has resigned and says he will not be managing again!

I had two central thoughts on Sam regarding this;
1. well done him wanting to enjoy some retirement/family time, which is great
2, is he very unwell and not getting better, which is sad

I had two central thoughts on Sam regarding this;
1. well done him wanting to enjoy some retirement/family time, which is great
2, is he very unwell and not getting better, which is sad

I never thought of it like that. I hope the 2nd point isn't right. Always been a fan of big Sam obviously forgetting the years of 2011-2015. He is a relegation avoiding genius, shame he messed up his England chance as I think he would've been our best chance we've had to get further than normal in the World Cup.

Back