• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The season so far, as I see it.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Reading recent posts people seem to be panicking after every defeat and greatly concerned about not beating sides at the top of the division, doom and gloom every where. I personally think we’re doing as well as can be expected, and better than I feared, here’s my thoughts

Firstly as a rough guide I would say;

80 points plus - automatic promotion
70 points plus – play offs
50 points or less – relegation.

If we were to win 23 and lose 23 we would have 69 points and on the verge of the payoffs.
If we were to draw all 46 we would likely be relegated.

Why then after winning at Northampton and losing at Forest, are the doom merchants so pessimistic, would they have preferred us to have played extremely well but drawn them both? I’ll take the extra point thanks!

Why are people so obsessed by the fact that we haven’t beaten any of the top sides yet? We have drawn only 1, won 8, so lost 6. We could have been unbeaten winning 5 and drawing 10 but would that have been any better, we would still only have 25 points. So if we have lost six who would you prefer to lose to sides at the bottom? Of the six Leeds and Forest were both 4-1 but we had our moments in those games, we weren’t totally outplayed, the other four were by a single goal and could have gone either way. So where’s the problem?

If we were to beat the bottom twelve sides home and away and lose to the top eleven we would have 72 points, probable play off position. We are consistently beating the lower clubs, concentrate on that. At this stage it’s about picking up points, any points, you don’t get any more for beating a top side that you do a bottom one (or is that what I’m missing?) I remember a few years ago getting very good results against top sides, but losing to those at the bottom and we ended having a poor year.

League positions are unimportant at the moment, just stay in the top pack till the new year. Then transfer window, bad weather, suspensions and injuries will play their part, and then their will be must win games, but I repeat at the moment we are doing fine, it’s long season, panic when you need to, not now.

to be honest i skipped through all your stats and numbers but your last point is key, we need to be in the mix at christmas... that way we can hopefully keep leon, maybe bring someone in and really push on when we get to the big matches against the big teams. we have three years of experience of big games at the run in and i reckon that will hold us in good stead. bring it on!

Exactly. People are fretting about our chances but nothing is decided in November and we're still only a few points from the automatics.

We've got some very difficult away games out of the way as well - notably Forest and Leeds.

Of the six Leeds and Forest were both 4-1 but we had our moments in those games, we weren’t totally outplayed...

As I mentioned elsewhere, these look likely to be the hardest games we'll have to play this season. Probably Doncaster away (if they pull their fingers out), Swansea away and maybe Carlisle away are the only really difficult away trips we have remaining.

It's early days and we're well placed. I'd be surprised if anyone would have been unhappy to be in this position on day one but then I seem to remember in both of our promotion seasons that it was a natural tendency for fans to get greedy. Personally, I'm delighted with the ease at which we are dispatching midtable and bottom third teams. If we can defend better in big games, we have a good chance of promotion this season.

I think if you had run a poll prior to the season starting and asked would you be happy with a top six spot half way through november the vast majority on here would have said yes, I know I would have. I happy with our league position as it stands and if Im honest a play off spot at the end of the season would make me moist, the performances lately have hardly been brazil like but we are well placed in the table and through to the 2nd round of the cup, I couldn really ask for much more.

Oh God! So have I. You've just made me feel a whole lot worse.:(

Sorry! How often does a convincing early season cup win come back & bite us on the ar5e? This, along with our forward line providing about as much threat as a wet fish is to a nuclear arsenal has got me very very worried. Oh & to top it off, our most prolific midfielder is out too :(

Sorry! How often does a convincing early season cup win come back & bite us on the ar5e? This, along with our forward line providing about as much threat as a wet fish is to a nuclear arsenal has got me very very worried. Oh & to top it off, our most prolific midfielder is out too :(

convincing...a last minute penalty save kept us in it?...:confused:

McCormack and Bailey both have 5 goals by my reckoning, so there's no need to worry too much on that point! ;)

Oh OK, Mr Nit Picker, 4-1 AET (that's pretty convincing where I'm standing)!

lice-4.jpg

:finger: :p ;)

Rich, can you not sit down then? :rolleyes:

Nope, it was part of me signing up to StandUpSitDown, I have to fill part of the quota of people who are prepared to stand-up at all times, to try & convince the government "standing-up" is the way forward.

We've been lucky that a lot of the popular newreaders have joined this part of the campaign too & that's why they ditched their desks in favour of "stand-up news"!

Nicky Campbell got struck-off the list though as he persisted in leaning on his desk throughout episodes of Watchdog which the hierarchy deemed was strictly NOT standing up!

Nope, it was part of me signing up to StandUpSitDown, I have to fill part of the quota of people who are prepared to stand-up at all times, to try & convince the government "standing-up" is the way forward.

We've been lucky that a lot of the popular newreaders have joined this part of the campaign too & that's why they ditched their desks in favour of "stand-up news"!

Nicky Campbell got struck-off the list though as he persisted in leaning on his desk throughout episodes of Watchdog which the hierarchy deemed was strictly NOT standing up!

:hilarious: excellent riposte.

If someone had said pre-season that we would be 5th in mid-November I think most of us would have been pretty happy with that.

I like to see our youth team striker Henry to be given a chance up front or even on bench - Cheltenham will be fearing coming to Root-Hall while they are bottom of league, so we want to add to their fear by having a striker with good movenment to give their back four problem - Hooper & Harrold won't do it - we need a target man who can hold the ball up and use them well (Harrold can do it) and a nippy striker who got quick movement in MacDonald - that will do me.

I be p***d off if I see Hooper & Harrold up front, as I know we are going to get beat by worst team in League 1.

Back