• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings The Sid Broomfield Trophy - 20th May

Great occasion and even better turn out.

The game:

It doesn't matter what level you play at, pace kills defenders. Danns (still playing for Bury) and Fagan tore that back 4 apart! Felt sorry for them. Elokobi weren't taking any prisoners! Shoving Bradbury over was a highlight. Col u definitely weren't making up the numbers.

Maher tried to spray balls around as usual. I miss seeing that. Barrett looked so trim and Guttridge was fairly good. But stand out player for us was Bentley. He was really impressive in the first half and that 2nd goal of his was worth the admission fee alone. Freddy Jnr certainly had a bit about him but also showed he's got a good few years before having a crack at mens football. Good prospect!

All in all a great night, for a worthy cause. A little sad seeing so many hero's let themselves go a bit but it's not always easy for players once they stop playing. Not everyone can be like the man who wears the magic hat.

Recommend others to go if they do something similar again.

LUAN Marshall's picture gallery from a memorable night at Roots Hall as Southend United's 2006 League One winning side reunited to take on Colchester United.

More...

Fantastic evening, a very poignant tribute to Mitchell Cole before kick off, who had been an important part of that team too.

Was privileged to be helping meet and greet the players, families and guests for the directors box. Got lots of kisses! The whole evening was in great good humour with big smiles on everyone's faces, plenty of drinking going on, including several cases of beer in the dressing room.

As @Blues4LifeDan says, Mark Bentley was one of our best players on the night, though full credit to the several of them that stayed on for the full 90. To be honest, we expected a Colchester win bearing in mind their overall ages and condition, but it was great to see us get a few goals, with a stunning 2nd from Benno!

What a moment to see Freddy Eastwood on the pitch alongside his son! Just lovely!

Chris and Adam organised a wonderful evening, which has hopefully raised loads of money for Haves - tickets sold out, and programmes sold out too!

Also good to see Anthony Wordsworth back supporting the event, along with his dad, he joined Colchester as a youngster just after this promotion, and that so many of the players brought along their families - Wayne Gray had his mum, his missus and three children there, including a babe in arms.

Mitchel Cole.jpg

Havens Charity Match 20th May.jpgWoody.jpg

Adam.jpg

Last edited:
Mark Bentley absolutely ran his socks off all night for southend and topped it off with a great goal, good evening of football even if they did run out of beer.

Fantastic evening, a very poignant tribute to Mitchell Cole before kick off, who had been an important part of that team too.

Was privileged to be helping meet and greet the players, families and guests for the directors box. Got lots of kisses! The whole evening was in great good humour with big smiles on everyone's faces, plenty of drinking going on, including several cases of beer in the dressing room.

As @Blues4LifeDan says, Mark Bentley was one of our best players on the night, though full credit to the several of them that stayed on for the full 90. To be honest, we expected a Colchester win bearing in mind their overall ages and condition, but it was great to see us get a few goals, with a stunning 2nd from Benno!

What a moment to see Freddy Eastwood on the pitch alongside his son! Just lovely!

Chris and Adam organised a wonderful evening, which has hopefully raised loads of money for Haves - tickets sold out, and programmes sold out too!

Also good to see Anthony Wordsworth back supporting the event, along with his dad, he joined Colchester as a youngster just after this promotion, and that so many of the players brought along their families - Wayne Gray had his mum, his missus and three children there, including a babe in arms.

View attachment 8190

View attachment 8189View attachment 8191

View attachment 8192

In the bottom photo, one is a legend who is the bloke by her side ?

Am gutted this isn't available on iFollow.

Ha!.Indeed.Though there was a good pre-match inteview with Tilly in the club shop.

(Talking of the club shop, a lot of their babywear is currently out of stock. Looks like SUFC's loss could be Espanyol's gain, as it's our grandson's second birthday next month).

Last edited:
Well done OBL, the volunteers who put on a good show and the supporters who turned up in numbers......Great evening and a chance to catch up with friends who I last saw sprinting onto the pitch one Saturday evening a few weeks ago.......Some great stories.

Late entry but surely Bentley scored our goal of the season.

Barrett can still play

Mark Bentley was our best player. Flavs has kept himself in very good shape and it still sticks like glue. Sadly our best players from that era in Maher, Gower and Freddy are now carrying the most timber

I thought young Freddy was really out to make an impression!

Had a good chat with Juppy after the game and it was great to hear even the old memories come flooding back to him. First time he'd been back to Roots Hall in 13 years

Just looked at the photos on the Echo website, blimey Freddie junior, talk about mini-me..

Just looked at the photos on the Echo website, blimey Freddie junior, talk about mini-me..

It's quite scary actually

JLd8JDm.jpg

yCMDyom.jpg

SOUTHEND United’s 2006 League One winning side reunited to revive memories of Essex football’s greatest ever season last night.

More...

Flavs > Ox

Barrett can still play

Mark Bentley was our best player. Flavs has kept himself in very good shape and it still sticks like glue. Sadly our best players from that era in Maher, Gower and Freddy are now carrying the most timber

I thought young Freddy was really out to make an impression!

Had a good chat with Juppy after the game and it was great to hear even the old memories come flooding back to him. First time he'd been back to Roots Hall in 13 years

You know what, I expect the kind of response to fans that you always get from Adam and Tilly, the chat, the hugs, the laughs etc, but Che, Daryl, Luke Guttridge - almost all of them were keen to chat to fans as well as each other. Not seen Darryl for what, 11 years? But he was full of smiles and greetings and a big kiss for me - I'm sure he's shrunk though, lol!!! He was still throwing himself into those "television" saves!

I did tell Johnnie to keep his hands of young Fred and not to eye him up for Charlton. Looking at the comments on Twitter, the Colchester lads enjoyed their reunion every bit as much as ours did. I also want to say that huge kudos is due to Phil Parkinson, not normally a bloke I have much to say in favour of, but he gave up his time to come along and "manage" that Colchester side, so well done to him too.

You know what, I expect the kind of response to fans that you always get from Adam and Tilly, the chat, the hugs, the laughs etc, but Che, Daryl, Luke Guttridge - almost all of them were keen to chat to fans as well as each other. Not seen Darryl for what, 11 years? But he was full of smiles and greetings and a big kiss for me - I'm sure he's shrunk though, lol!!! He was still throwing himself into those "television" saves!

Funny you should say that as I thought Darryl had shrunk too. Thought that Lewis Hunt didn't look too different.

I did tell Johnnie to keep his hands of young Fred and not to eye him up for Charlton. Looking at the comments on Twitter, the Colchester lads enjoyed their reunion every bit as much as ours did. I also want to say that huge kudos is due to Phil Parkinson, not normally a bloke I have much to say in favour of, but he gave up his time to come along and "manage" that Colchester side, so well done to him too.

To be fair, Che, Darryl and Gutts were good to chat back in the day as well. Che got the team to sign a wedding card for Leeboy.

I missed the kickoff and didn't know this took place. Regardless he was very much in my thoughts.

If it wasn't clear how much we relied on experienced players to get promoted at the time, it was last night. 3 or 4 of that Col U team are still playing. According to Fagan's Wiki page he hasn't played his 2015, but is still only 36.

Wayne Gray got a good round of applause on leaving the pitch. We have a poll for the most important goals and it's a surprise one of his wasn't mentioned...

Thoroughly enjoy it and if I recall they said 'This years Sid Broomfield trophy winners...'. Here's hoping for another game next year.

Back