• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The songs...time to vote ?

finny67

Schoolboy
did anyone see the ashort list of songs in the programme v. northampton for the club anthem.?

There were 5 or 6 suggestions and all have their merits...but please can i make a plea that no-onre votes for "Blue Moon" which was one of those on the short list . After so many years without a proper anthem and the good work that's gone into this quest , how embarrassing would it be that we just had one that another club (man.city) does bigger and better.

Of others shortlisted "Sailing " by Rod I can see working , Alison moyets "blue" and elvis' the shrimp song are great but lyrics long and complex for a crwod to sing .

seems the club wants to decide soon....i ask you to listen to this "story of the Blues" by the mighty wah and if you like , drop the club a a mail at commercila@southend-united.co.uk and thell them . Its perfect with its title , lyrics are simple and builds to a real crescendo...perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWr0_zWaVzU

Story of the Blues gets my shout too!
Think SZ should endorse this particular one.
Remember the power of the Zone in previous votes (e.g. L1 player of the month) etc!

Oh & you maybe want to edit your spelling on the email address you listed! 'l' & 'a' transposed in "commercial" :)

did anyone see the ashort list of songs in the programme v. northampton for the club anthem.?

There were 5 or 6 suggestions and all have their merits...but please can i make a plea that no-onre votes for "Blue Moon" which was one of those on the short list . After so many years without a proper anthem and the good work that's gone into this quest , how embarrassing would it be that we just had one that another club (man.city) does bigger and better.

Of others shortlisted "Sailing " by Rod I can see working , Alison moyets "blue" and elvis' the shrimp song are great but lyrics long and complex for a crwod to sing .

seems the club wants to decide soon....i ask you to listen to this "story of the Blues" by the mighty wah and if you like , drop the club a a mail at commercila@southend-united.co.uk and thell them . Its perfect with its title , lyrics are simple and builds to a real crescendo...perfect

Where can we see a full list of the choices and how do we vote??

Haven't heard that before but not sure which one to go with. That one or Blue by Alison Moyet

I actually think the affect of all the fans singing bridge over troubled water together would sound really good, much like the effect of never walk alone.

I actually think the affect of all the fans singing bridge over troubled water together would sound really good, much like the effect of never walk alone.

I agree Hazey, it is more of an anthem......if we sang a more up tempo song than BOTW, we would all end up singing at different speeds and it would sound totaly shambolic..........

All you would need to top it off as an embarrassing disaster would be John Redwood standing in the centre circle miming to it!!

Plus BOTW is a far more recognised tune.

Exactly, when Liverpool fans sing "you'll never walk alone" you just have to sit and marvel at the affect, the anthem just has to be BOTW, it really would become the clubs song and in the new stadium would just sound awesome.

Exactly, when Liverpool fans sing "you'll never walk alone" you just have to sit and marvel at the affect, the anthem just has to be BOTW, it really would become the clubs song and in the new stadium would just sound awesome.

And.....more importantly, no other club have yet adopted it

The start of B.O.T.W. could be good .. wrap it up after the first verse and two 'like a brige over......... i wil lay me down... 's

How did I miss this?

I am very surprised not to see Rick Astley listed,his song's been very popular on You Tube and when it comes to SUFC ' we're never going give you up, never gonna let you down and desert you...............''

Short list was.............

blue moon
bridge over troubled water
blue
1 guess thats why they call it the blues
song of the shrimp?
sailing
singing the blues...

Of those i think BOTW is the nicest and would sound the best and most rousing if enough people got involved but alas, i fear that not enough people would bother to learn the words. Of the others, and looking at simplicity, i guess that sailing (rod stewart) or singing the blues (guy mitchell) may be the catchiest.

blue moon
bridge over troubled water
blue
1 guess thats why they call it the blues
song of the shrimp?
sailing
singing the blues...

Of those i think BOTW is the nicest and would sound the best and most rousing if enough people got involved but alas, i fear that not enough people would bother to learn the words. Of the others, and looking at simplicity, i guess that sailing (rod stewart) or singing the blues (guy mitchell) may be the catchiest.

Cheers for the list and i agree regards BOTW.......

So all we ahve to do is e-mail this address and commercial@southend-united.co.uk and choose Bridge Over Troubled Water

I can do that

Last edited:
i heard that tune story of the blues on radio2 golden oldies the other week,and thought to myself,how good would this tune be roared at roots hall and thought it must of been alison moyets:clap: blue song as ive never heard it,but turns out i was wrong.
gets my vote

Back