• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have any SZers lost their job after their employer found out they supported Southend?

I tell employers I support Harlequins to be on the safe side.

There have been heaps, Niall Quinn was the Sunderland one BTW.

There were season tickets thrown onto the pitch from the away end that day. It was only the third game of the season. I always wondered about that. Because after Quinn stepped down Roy Keane came in and they roared to the top of the league.

Imagine sitting there watching that on telly thinking, "Bugger. I really wish I hadn't thrown that season ticket away."

There were season tickets thrown onto the pitch from the away end that day. It was only the third game of the season. I always wondered about that. Because after Quinn stepped down Roy Keane came in and they roared to the top of the league.

Imagine sitting there watching that on telly thinking, "Bugger. I really wish I hadn't thrown that season ticket away."

I presume that the "throwers" simply waited till the crowd had left and then asked "can I have my season ticket back please?" ...........

Anyway, you don't hear of Quinny nowadays - what has happened to him? I remember seeing him at Roots Hall as a player (with Arsenal in a pre-season friendly perhaps) and he was a giant of a man compared with our players.

I presume that the "throwers" simply waited till the crowd had left and then asked "can I have my season ticket back please?" ...........

Anyway, you don't hear of Quinny nowadays - what has happened to him? I remember seeing him at Roots Hall as a player (with Arsenal in a pre-season friendly perhaps) and he was a giant of a man compared with our players.

Since leaving Sunderland, Quinn is now chairman of a satellite broadband company in Ireland called Q Sat.

In 2012, Quinn started commentating for Sky Sports and normally commentates alongside Martin Tyler

Does Peter Reid count? He seems to have had more sacks than the coalman, which makes him a pretty easy target.:winking:

Always strikes me as peculiar that in football it seems that people who have failed so badly at their chosen profession that they are sacked are continually re-employed by another club in the hope that they will suddenly become the new Messiah. Chances are that if they're rubbish at one club then they will be at the next, and the next, and the next....:unsure:

Please don't use this thread to bash Brown.

Have any SZers lost their job after their employer found out they supported Southend?

I tell employers I support Harlequins to be on the safe side.
I interviewed a guy once and the interview went:
'I see you are from Southend, are you a Shrimper?'
'Yes'
'Can you start on Monday?'

the HR woman that was sitting next to me did her bollocks afterwards and I had to take full responsibility and make sure he didn't **** up.

Rob I know you read but don't post on here but feel free to say this is true....

'Yes'

the HR woman that was sitting next to me did her bollocks afterwards and I had to take full responsibility and make sure he didn't **** up.

Rob I know you read but don't post on here but feel free to say this is true....

Great story.

I can also report that the son of a superb ex SUFC winger was quickly employed after interview (no problems with HR here).

As we would all expect, he did a great job and there were no regrets all round.

Didn't Billy Bonds leave West Ham the day after we beat them 2-0 in 1994 in a friendly? I was at the match and Tilly somehow had a chipped goal from near the halfway line ruled out for offside!

Caretaker Coventry boss Mark Venus could be handing over the reigns to Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. I know he was only a caretaker boss, but they were going to give him the job if he did well.

'Yes'

I went for an interview. Got called in by mistake, to be faced by several grumpy looking old men and told to wait outside. At the at point I didn't hope for much. When I was finally called in the first question was "what is your hobby". So I said I supported Southend. The interviewer asked if I was at the match the previous evening at Aldershot. Which I was. He was a Shots fan and we spent the interview discussing the various merits of the game.

I got the job.

(and still work here).

Back