• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should we bring a Striker in on loan?

• Yes

Votes: 46 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 52 45.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 14.0%

• Total voters
Now, I suspect this post might get some response ............

Leon Clarke is currently on loan with Chesterfield who are bottom of the 3rd division ....... and his bridges with Swindon are not so much burnt as absolutely charred ..........

........ we have seen that he knows where the net is in his loan spell a couple of seasons ago so there is no question that he is a proven goal scorer given the chance .........

......... some say he is a disruptive character ...... but that only makes me question whether Coughlan, Sturrock, Barker and the team could handle him - and I think the answer is "yes".

Plus Clarke has now got to think about his future and where he is going ........ with Southend, he could be back in the 3rd division in August 2012 with a brighter future infront of him than he has now .......

Dicko, done well, but sure to pick up an injury soon...

Harris, has been ok so far. But like Dicko, surely an injury will come soon...

Hall, we're relying on him too much. I prefer him on the wing.

Mohsni is not really a striker and is up and down.

Corr, I'd be surprised if we see him back this season.

Sturrock, good at what he does, but wont score many.

Crawford, won't get a look in. And injured.

Asante, as above.

JJ, not really his position and his future here must be in doubt.

Pato, won't happen.

Personally I would say everyone from Sturrock downwards is surplus...

Last edited:
Roll on January then. Problem is, where do you find a proven goalscorer that's cheap?

Roll on January then. Problem is, where do you get a proven goalscorer that's cheap?

The main problem as I see it,is that nobody will want any player we don't...they are under contract to us and still get paid..bar paying up the contract I feel we are going to be stuck with a load of deadwood come January that will severely hamper any chance of bringing in new faces.

The main problem as I see it,is that nobody will want any player we don't...they are under contract to us and still get paid..bar paying up the contract I feel we are going to be stuck with a load of deadwood come January that will severely hamper any chance of bringing in new faces.

My concern also.

It's clear we are at the wage cap limit.

Thus we need to shift a few...

Easier said than done though.

But, lets hope we can have a little clear-out and bring in Timlin, plus a quality striker.

Looking at the squad ATM, who in their right mind would take on ..Asante,Crawford (when he comes back from injury),Pato,JJ,Nesbit, James Lewis,Woodyard.. all who have not done anything this year..and add to that the likes of out of favour Sawyer and possibly Blair. They would also have to pay them the same wages they are getting now as few if any will want to go anywhere for less money.. Take into account also that Corr is out for the season to...

That makes 8-10 of the current squad taking wages for doing nothing and who hardly feature in PS's plans.

Rip up the contracts of Pato, Asante, Crawford, Nesbitt, Woodyard. Try and get someone like Jo Kuffour in.

Looking at the squad ATM, who in their right mind would take on ..Asante,Crawford (when he comes back from injury),Pato,JJ,Nesbit, James Lewis,Woodyard.. all who have not done anything this year..and add to that the likes of out of favour Sawyer and possibly Blair. They would also have to pay them the same wages they are getting now as few if any will want to go anywhere for less money.. Take into account also that Corr is out for the season to...

That makes 8-10 of the current squad taking wages for doing nothing and who hardly feature in PS's plans

Harsh but very fair.
We could get rid of say 8 and bring in 5 better quality. The lack of quality striker cover could come back to bite us later on in the season.

Now, I suspect this post might get some response ............

Leon Clarke is currently on loan with Chesterfield who are bottom of the 3rd division ....... and his bridges with Swindon are not so much burnt as absolutely charred ..........

........ we have seen that he knows where the net is in his loan spell a couple of seasons ago so there is no question that he is a proven goal scorer given the chance .........

......... some say he is a disruptive character ...... but that only makes me question whether Coughlan, Sturrock, Barker and the team could handle him - and I think the answer is "yes".

Plus Clarke has now got to think about his future and where he is going ........ with Southend, he could be back in the 3rd division in August 2012 with a brighter future infront of him than he has now .......

Leon Clarke is too good for Division 2. Also, he wouldn't sign for us because of the much bigger wages he can rightly command at a higher club.
So you can forget that one.

Leon Clarke is too good for Division 2. Also, he wouldn't sign for us because of the much bigger wages he can rightly command at a higher club.
So you can forget that one.

............. too good for division 4? Hence my point that coming to us would add to promotion chances and therefore back in division 3 ................. and if Clarke thought the same about division 4, then why did he sign for Swindon?

........ as for wages - yes, I can see that would be a sticking point .......... but again back in division 3 with Southend would see us being able to pay competitive (but not silly money).

It was just an idea for consideration .......... and Clarke has to consider where is he going to get 1st team football and enjoy playing - he did quite well at Southend previously and will have matured a little since then ..........

I shall leave it at that ............

Back