• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Universe

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Having been watching Stephen Hawkins "The Universe" DVD's which are great, one question I have that maybe a Zoner could answer, as I know we have some on here brighter than SH...

If the Universe started with the Big Bang which he describes as like a balloon being blown up, we know a Balloon expands into the space around it.

He then states there was nothing before The Universe so my question is then, what did it explode into?

IMO there must of been space beforehand even if it was empty otherwise how does the Universe keep expanding like it is.

Yours,

Puzzled.com.

Well watching Brian Cox he said that the Big Bang happened everywhere at the same instance, however what was before is beyond our current understanding. Still more believable than some beardy bloke waving his hands around and making fjords.....

If i knew that ... id be a Noble prize wining physicist or the alleged deities /forces who created the universe . I've not kept up with teh current ideas but do they still believe that it was a self contained singulatirty(are they even used anymore ?) and as its ever expanded and being propelled outwards , filling itself up ? Thats the very basic idea as i understand it (never mind the alternate /higher universes/dimensions etc )

Where's that nice physics chappy who sent me those pdf's when you want him ;)

Well watching Brian Cox he said that the Big Bang happened everywhere at the same instance, however what was before is beyond our current understanding. Still more believable than some beardy bloke waving his hands around and making fjords.....

If you believe the Egyptians it was a goaty beard chap waving his todger about . A might more realistic but i get your point (the Norse was a giant cow a salt lick and a frost giant ahh drugs creating universe since time began ). We shouldnt really be so hard on ourselves the models we use to interpret the possible nigh infinate states and energies of creation are limited by out own senses , and how we interrepret that knowledge . So it's more then just the ideas we have .

Wash your mouth out. It is well recorded that Slartibartfast is real. Anyway, the answer, for the second time today, is 42

He went on to say that eventually the universe will implode and will go back to nothingness, which is hairy muff, but who is to say that we haven't that several Big Bangs beforehand and the emptiness was left from a previous one.

Come on I want answers .....:winking:

He went on to say that eventually the universe will implode and will go back to nothingness, which is hairy muff, but who is to say that we haven't that several Big Bangs beforehand and the emptiness was left from a previous one.

Brain the size of a planet and they've got me typing on Shrimperzone.

Welcome to the Shrimperzone :hijacked: Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy thread.

I am going to make a trip out into space to find out..apparently if I travel at 11,000 miles per second it will only take me 366.000 (three hundred and sixty six thousand) years to reach the next star system so I may be a while getting back to you with answers, although of course at my speed a week in space will be a year time wise on planet earth.

:stunned:

I am going to make a trip out into space to find out..apparently if I travel at 11,000 miles per second it will only take me 366.000 (three hundred and sixty six thousand) years to reach the next star system so I may be a while getting back to you with answers, although of course at my speed a week in space will be a year time wise on planet earth.

:stunned:

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

According to Wonders of the Universe everything currently in the universe will eventually die and there will be nothing left. The lifespan of the universe is a mind-boggling number, how they even started to work it out I haven't got the foggiest!

According to Wonders of the Universe everything currently in the universe will eventually die and there will be nothing left. The lifespan of the universe is a mind-boggling number, how they even started to work it out I haven't got the foggiest!

Ah but what is nothing?

But even empty space is something waiting to be filled so it is not nothing...which is kind of the question I have been asking in this thread.

Just neutrinos floating about for infinity.

That is how The Big Bang started though according to SH in that some of the neutrons were thinner than other and were attracted together to form mass or matter..so going by that theory the big bang would once again happen in the future.

Back