• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Women's World Cup.

I said in the England v Scotland thread that I've never seen a good woman goalie. They all save a few, but make comical mistakes or let in soft goals to do with positioning, a weak arm, or slow reactions. Well last night I saw a very good woman goalie, the Argentinian. She was superb. Tall, strong and really fast reactions. Has anyone seen a better woman goalie?

very true 70s...but i would not want to meet her on a dark night!!Ruff
Good win,deservered

Sounds like the Chile keeper is the only reason they aren't losing 10-0 to the Americans, the South Americans seem to be producing better keepers than other continents.

Penalties are going to be interesting from now on as a president has been set. France were rightly awarded a penalty in their match against Nigeria. The French player misses it by shooting wide. (I was glad as Nigeria worked their socks off and deserved a draw). VAR is used and the penalty is to be retaken because the goalie slightly moved off the goal line. To add insult, the goalie is booked. When you consider about half the goalies move slightly, or sometimes a big step forward from the goal line, this probably will happen again in this World Cup. But it's another disadvantage for the goalie, as obviously it will only be retaken if the player doesn't score. And will the ref book the goalie for the same offence if the player scores?

Good post 70's.

I saw that also, and completely agree with your post. As it stands currently, 75% of penalties are scored, if we factor in the new law that will only increase the % of success further.

Would seem VAR chooses to overlook the encroachment law as in both penalties players from the French team were inside the box before Renard kicked the ball. VAR has been a joke in this tournament, the officials generally of a poor standard and with linos instructed to flag as late as possible in case an incident arises that has to be referred back to VAR. Farcical.

Haven’t seen much of the tournament, but from the odd games that I have seen, it appears that the officiating is quite poor at this level.

Trevor Kettle would be proud.

Haven’t seen much of the tournament, but from the odd games that I have seen, it appears that the officiating is quite poor at this level.

Trevor Kettle would be proud.

Especially for corners. Never seen so many in a tournament that they have got the last player it came off wrong. Some have led to a goal.

Especially for corners. Never seen so many in a tournament that they have got the last player it came off wrong. Some have led to a goal.

Yep, I assume you’re referring to the USA(?) game the other night? IIRC, Same game that they were awarded a penalty, which was never a penalty, despite the ref consulting VAR? Shockingly bad.

I was also impressed with the France - Nigeria game yesterday, where the girl got booked for the overhead kick.... despite being about a foot away from the opponent, and not actually touching her.

And we thought we got bad officials at Roots Hall

Yep, I assume you’re referring to the USA(?) game the other night? IIRC, Same game that they were awarded a penalty, which was never a penalty, despite the ref consulting VAR? Shockingly bad.

I was also impressed with the France - Nigeria game yesterday, where the girl got booked for the overhead kick.... despite being about a foot away from the opponent, and not actually touching her.

And we thought we got bad officials at Roots Hall

There's been 3 games I have seen where a corner that wasn't a corner has led to a goal. So not just the USA game. Probably been a few more that haven't been shown on main TV. Loads of corners not corners, or goal kicks that should have been a corner. Some really obvious, like a shot that takes a big deflection.

I would have thought VAR would be fully embraced by women.......I mean they love reminded us men of one simple mistake.

Australia v Jamaica. A very entertaining game, especially the second half. 4-1 to Australia, but Jamaica had plenty of chances but couldn't shoot straight. A horrendous goalie error to gift Australia their last goal as well.

The USA look the best side by a mile so far, they are relentless. Norway outplayed France and would have drawn until the ref intervened with a poor decision following VAR. Goodbye Scotland tonight?

The USA look the best side by a mile so far, they are relentless. Norway outplayed France and would have drawn until the ref intervened with a poor decision following VAR. Goodbye Scotland tonight?

The USA certainly have been the best at closing down and winning the ball back. Their intensity has been higher than any other team. England will have to go up a level to match the USA, but I think England will improve each game. France looked good the first game, but were lucky against Norway, and against Nigeria, not having a shot on target until the 64th minute. VAR and the ref helping them out in both of those last two games.

Following on from their VAR / ref-assisted penalty against Norway, the ref ignored two late and quite cynical challenges by French players when Nigeria were chasing the game. She then (and quite rightly) brandished a yellow card for a similar offence by a NIgerian girl. Inconsistency like that is either incompetence or a pre-determined fix (cheat) in my mind.

Following on from their VAR / ref-assisted penalty against Norway, the ref ignored two late and quite cynical challenges by French players when Nigeria were chasing the game. She then (and quite rightly) brandished a yellow card for a similar offence by a NIgerian girl. Inconsistency like that is either incompetence or a pre-determined fix (cheat) in my mind.
The possibility of of a fix within French sport? Quelle surprise, I'm sure Michel Platini would have something to say about that!!

Back