• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The worsening situation in Ukraine

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Good morning Zoners, following several posts in Homers Bar the moderating team have discussed the worsening situation in the Ukraine and accept that exceptionally there is a case for opening a discussion forum on the subject. Please be aware that if forum or threads descend into the murky depths that the Politics forum became, it will be closed immediately.

Thanks all, and the debate is on.

Too late, prices have gone through the roof. Was going to buy some for purposes of savings never anticipated this happening so soon, although I thought it was inevitable never saw it happening this week.

As long as Russia stay in the Ukraine and don't advance beyond into NATO territory and as long as the US aren't sending soldiers in to actually fight the Russians, that's when things will get really worrying. I don't watch the news so I only know bits and pieces of what I've picked up from others.

As long as Russia stay in the Ukraine and don't advance beyond into NATO territory and as long as the US aren't sending soldiers in to actually fight the Russians, that's when things will get really worrying. I don't watch the news so I only know bits and pieces of what I've picked up from others.
My concern comes with Belarus, who are essentially a Russian puppet state and a corridor into the rest of Europe, as they allowed Russians to mass troops in their country.

This helped Russians in avoiding the key strategic advantage Ukrainians would have if they were defending across the Dneiper river from a Southern and Eastern offensive.

As a result, I see Belarus are complicit and I think they will become a crucial talking point for NATO considering Belarus is bordered with Poland, who are part of NATO.

Shocking video of a bomb landing in Odessa on the news, looks ominously like white phosphorous to me.

Considering this appeared to hit an apartment complex, not good. Use of this type of weaponry in civilian areas is a violation of international law and treaties.

Unfortunately as long as Putin doesn't look to move into other countries I suspect most world leaders will end up abandoning Ukraine, Putin's unhinged right now and I don't think many countries will want to risk provoking him past economic sanctions (which I don't think Putin even cares about even if the rest of Russia does).

My X wife whose from Minsk told me this morning that people in Belarus are being asked to vote in a referendum regarding which way they should go regarding Russia but all fear that this has already been signed off.

My guess is that because Putin saved El Presenti’s arse during that failed uprising the price to pay is that Russia will take back Belarus by stealth and he can hang his boots up.

However, this vailed threat of using a nuke and I’m assuming that is what Putin is referring too very alarming to say the least..

I know people who’ve been trying to move money out of Russian banks this morning to no avail, so I’m guessing that some part of the SWIFT system has already been deactivated.

Very sad but it’s been on the card for a long time.

??????????

It's an absolute disgrace that in this day and age, a Super Power can bully, invade and take parts of a peaceful neighbouring country. It's been planned for years as Russia has got Thousands of Putin's men living in that part of the Ukraine, causing trouble and showing the Russian flag. Also, despite Russia claiming to be more democratic, they are ruled by a dictator who has any political rival gaining popularity, silenced and usually arrested. I think he's rigging it so he's the ruler until his death. That mock discussion on Ukraine last week was a joke. It looks like they were all reading from a ready made script he had given them. God help anyone that were to stick up for Ukraine.

Two Russian soldiers in Ukraine, one says "What do you think of the regime?"
The other soldier replies "Exactly what you are thinking".
First soldier "YOU ARE UNDER ARREST!"

My concern comes with Belarus, who are essentially a Russian puppet state and a corridor into the rest of Europe, as they allowed Russians to mass troops in their country.

This helped Russians in avoiding the key strategic advantage Ukrainians would have if they were defending across the Dneiper river from a Southern and Eastern offensive.

As a result, I see Belarus are complicit and I think they will become a crucial talking point for NATO considering Belarus is bordered with Poland, who are part of NATO.
I agree entirely and also think some other countries I.e China, North Korea, Syria to name a few are watching and waiting to see what happens in the wider world community but, it is indeed worrying times for everyone

How dare Putin bomb innocent people who are no threat to him. Thats the US and The Uk's main business. Yet another case of Eastern Europeans stealing our jobs.
Watching EU and NATO pretend we're innocent on the global stage 15 mins ago was interesting...

Not that it justifies Putin's behaviour but maybe some introspection is needed too.

Nobody should be behaving like this. Lives have been and will be lost as this continues.

Last edited:
Back