• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Youth of Today, Part II.

You've really been missed.

Genuine question. It is obviously an article somewhere and wondered where I could view it from source. You have a problem with that then? Would it have been an acceptable question if I had joked about someone dying of cancer at the same time. Get off my back you twunt!

Genuine question. It is obviously an article somewhere and wondered where I could view it from source. You have a problem with that then? Would it have been an acceptable question if I had joked about someone dying of cancer at the same time. Get off my back you twunt!

Well EastStandBlue has been/is studying sports journalism, so I for one believe that he wrote it himself.

x

Well EastStandBlue has been/is studying sports journalism, so I for one believe that he wrote it himself.

x

That's all I wanted to know.

To be fair, I think it is a great piece and EastStandBlue has a great future ahead of him if so. I really thought it had come from a footballing journal etc etc. Wasn't trying to be sarky, just asking a question.

EastStandBlue, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your article, green is on it's way if it is your handywork.

Well, I can't exactly prove that it's mine... you'll just have to trust me on that one I guess :whistling:

This is actually what counts as my dissertation, a 5,000 word investigative article purely my own work. My own research, my own interviews, my own analysis, my own words.

Another top read.

What I want to know is:

With the level of success that the club have achieved in such a short space of time, it is no surprise to learn that they are now regarded as the fifth best centre of excellence in the country with a growing reputation in youth football circles.

Where has that come from? I don't doubt it because it wouldn't have made the article, but I don't recall hearing that from anywhere else.

Another top read.

What I want to know is:

Where has that come from? I don't doubt it because it wouldn't have made the article, but I don't recall hearing that from anywhere else.

I spoke to Ricky last week, and that was a pull out quote from the interview. I admit, I was a little taken aback by it, but I have no reason to doubt him.

If there's anything i've learnt from this, it's that the youth set up could really be in no better hands than in Ricky's, and it's obvious why RM and Tilly have so much faith in him.

Didn't read part 1, so didn't know that this was the follow up. Have now read part 1 as well, so see the follow on that is part 2.

Both very good articles, very well researched.

ESB, even as someone who has a grasp of the Centre of Excellence at SUFC, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this two-part article. It certainly seems that you have been able to feed off of Ricky's enthusiasm for the club and I hope that it gets you good marks!

Just a few minor corrections to make sure you get everything right when you submit it:
*The first Youth Alliance League defeat after a calendar year unbeaten was against Luton Town, not Ipswich Town;
*It's Luiz Felipe Scolari, not Phillip;
*Craig Calver was a second-year scholar this season, not a third-year - third-year scholarships were removed when the Football League Youth Alliance was realigned with the F.A. policy to promote Under-18s football, as seen in the F.A. Youth Cup, rather than Under-19s;
*In addition to this, the correct term for Calver's continued employment at Southend United is 'development contract' - there have been a number of other players, including Callum Kearns, Joel Ledgister, Dan Harvey, Luke Thurlbourne, Jamie Forshaw, James Lindie and Rhys Henry who have been handed this type of contract as opposed to the professional deal that Franck Moussa, Johnny Herd and Stuart O'Keefe have signed;
*In this sentence:
"Aside from producing talent for the senior squad, you can measure a centre of excellence’s progress by the team’s level of success, something which the Shrimper’s academy is not lacking as of late.", it may be worthwhile using the phrase "Shrimpers' youth department" rather than academy to avoid confusion as, at this stage, we remain a Centre of Excellence.

ESB, even as someone who has a grasp of the Centre of Excellence at SUFC, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this two-part article. It certainly seems that you have been able to feed off of Ricky's enthusiasm for the club and I hope that it gets you good marks!

Just a few minor corrections to make sure you get everything right when you submit it:
*The first Youth Alliance League defeat after a calendar year unbeaten was against Luton Town, not Ipswich Town;
*It's Luiz Felipe Scolari, not Phillip;
*Craig Calver was a second-year scholar this season, not a third-year - third-year scholarships were removed when the Football League Youth Alliance was realigned with the F.A. policy to promote Under-18s football, as seen in the F.A. Youth Cup, rather than Under-19s;
*In addition to this, the correct term for Calver's continued employment at Southend United is 'development contract' - there have been a number of other players, including Callum Kearns, Joel Ledgister, Dan Harvey, Luke Thurlbourne, Jamie Forshaw, James Lindie and Rhys Henry who have been handed this type of contract as opposed to the professional deal that Franck Moussa, Johnny Herd and Stuart O'Keefe have signed;
*In this sentence:
"Aside from producing talent for the senior squad, you can measure a centre of excellence’s progress by the team’s level of success, something which the Shrimper’s academy is not lacking as of late.", it may be worthwhile using the phrase "Shrimpers' youth department" rather than academy to avoid confusion as, at this stage, we remain a Centre of Excellence.

Cheers, The purpose of this was for people other than myself to see where I'd gone wrong really. The Scolari thing, technically it is Luiz Felipe, but the press tend to refer to him as Big Phil or Phillip because Luiz Felipe is a bit of a mouthful ;)

good article - personally I would like to have been told more about the players who have emerged from our youth set up and how they have performed - you mentioned Herds appearances in the FA Cup but there are no stats to show how many appearances "graduates" from the youth set up have made and no tracking of their progress -

As a popular piece readers would be more drawn to the article if it was less about
ricky Duncan and more about Herd, Moussa and O'Keefe. Might have been good to get an interview with one of the young uns ....

Anyway hope thats a bit helpful and enjoyed the read - thanks.

good article - personally I would like to have been told more about the players who have emerged from our youth set up and how they have performed - you mentioned Herds appearances in the FA Cup but there are no stats to show how many appearances "graduates" from the youth set up have made and no tracking of their progress -

As a popular piece readers would be more drawn to the article if it was less about
ricky Duncan and more about Herd, Moussa and O'Keefe. Might have been good to get an interview with one of the young uns ....

Anyway hope thats a bit helpful and enjoyed the read - thanks.

Read Part 1.

Really excellent read...Could have read it all day.

I just hope your examiner isnt into football where you have kind of compared us with Crewe or you could be in for a fail.....

Crewe have produced Danny Murphy, Dean Ashton,Madgid Bougherra,Robbie Savage, Neil Lennon, Nicky Maynard and I think you will find David Platt went there after Man United and also Geoff Thomas too.

We in comparrions have Francky Moussa, Jonny Herd and Garry Cross.........

Back