• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Theo is not signing!

Our strike force is more than good enough for this level in my opinion when they are all fully fit, but the problem is keeping them fully fit. Barnard, Freedman, Laurent, Revell and Walker have all been out injured during the season and that is what has harmed our chances.

IF chances are created for the likes of Barnard he will hit 15-20 goals in a season, Freedman would hit around 10-15 goals, Laurent, Revell and Walker around the 8-10 mark if they all played. They are all good enough to stick the ball away, but they need chances created for them.

So who's going to create these 'chances' for our wonderful incumbent strikers then? If i'm not mistaken, freddie was the last decent striker we had and he made most of his chances himself! Theo, for all his lack of tactical nous had pace and that pace alone created most of his chances for him. Unfortunately our present crop of 'strikers', bar walker, are not blessed with this attribute and sadly walker may have the legs of a thorougbred but he sadly appears to combine that with the brains of a donkey. Lets not start making ridiculous excuses for the non participation in the courting of theo. I doubt many on here would honestly not think he is worth the 275'ish grand being quoted. The club is skint and thats the only reason we aint at the races and we all have our ideas why that is.

So who's going to create these 'chances' for our wonderful incumbent strikers then? If i'm not mistaken, freddie was the last decent striker we had and he made most of his chances himself! Theo, for all his lack of tactical nous had pace and that pace alone created most of his chances for him. Unfortunately our present crop of 'strikers', bar walker, are not blessed with this attribute and sadly walker may have the legs of a thorougbred but he sadly appears to combine that with the brains of a donkey. Lets not start making ridiculous excuses for the non participation in the courting of theo. I doubt many on here would honestly not think he is worth the 275'ish grand being quoted. The club is skint and thats the only reason we aint at the races and we all have our ideas why that is.

And that is where the real problem lies. None of our strikers, bar Laurent (in my opinion) can create a chance out of nothing. Barnard isn't gonna beat 4 men and slot the ball home and Freedman isn't going to do something like that either. They need chances created for them.

Our midfield lacks creativity, and it has done since Gower left. Somebody like Sawyer or David Noble in the middle of the park can create this chances for the forwards, as can players like Matt Ritchie and Ishmael Demontagnac on the wings.

Don't worry, Dave. We were only ever going to bring in two or three players and there's still plenty of time to get those.

I think it's wrong to credit Theo with too much creativity, most of his goals were made either as a result of a long pass from one of several other players (midfield inc) or by Barney, likely as not.

I'm quite happy with our strikeforce, what we need is wing men and defenders, not forwards.

i think theo would of been a good signing for 100k but 275k is far to much..we need a good tall centre half & a decent left back also if we can get a quality left winger in (someone ike matt ritchie) then we can be pushing for the play offs,although that will depend on keeping barney,freedman,revel & laurent fit for most of the season..mooose & macca can be creative players in the centre of midfield to supply the forwards,all is not doom & gloom people lets be positive it could be worse,we could play in blue & white stripes & play in an airfix stadium in front of 3000 inbreds...

I would have paid £200k for Theo, he's definitely a 1 in 2 striker and worked better than anyone has with Barney. However I'm probably richer than SUFC/RM at the moment

I think it's wrong to credit Theo with too much creativity, most of his goals were made either as a result of a long pass from one of several other players (midfield inc) or by Barney, likely as not.

I'm quite happy with our strikeforce, what we need is wing men and defenders, not forwards.

Dont think anyone is OBL. It's more a case of he's got a tad more than walker. You berate the long pass but it sure as hell got us out of the crap last season but only because theo was aware of where to run to. Lets face it, the other forwards, irrispective of there red faced bluster, are cart horses in the sprinting stakes. Barnard is over rated on here, freedman is shot revell is a budding chef and laurent is a gangley frog with, despite he's ocasional flick ons, very little inventiveness.

Try living in Middlesbrough;)

Ha, know where your coming from mate, last week i was in the area as well as Redcar. Made me so depressed i phoned Samaritans that evening!. Rough area, too right i saw a bloke get mugged by a nun!. Mind you the beer is cheap which is the only thing both areas have got going for them.

Ha, know where your coming from mate, last week i was in the area as well as Redcar. Made me so depressed i phoned Samaritans that evening!. Rough area, too right i saw a bloke get mugged by a nun!. Mind you the beer is cheap which is the only thing both areas have got going for them.

I worked there for ages mate, and actually lived in Redcar for a while. I remember parking my car in Grangetown and two kids said "Tenner to watch your car mate2

I said "Don't worry I've got a rottweiler in the back"

The kid said "Can it put fires out?" :stunned:

Tilly states that a striker is not priority. Fair enough. Well its fair if you feel our current strike force is adequate. That being the case and money being so tight, why then were we trying to get Theo anyway. I seem to feel that Tilly is not totally straight in his comments and that he shares my lack of faith in our current goal getters. As for the asking price for Theo, if its too much in todays market for Theoesque players then what are we going to get for less. Maybe I should just accept that Barnard/Freeman the two part-time wannabees, along with the inexperienced Laurent and not forgetting 'brittle bones' Revster, are going to get us goals, goals, goals! Oh really?
I agree we need to get defenders. A Left Back and two CBs but for all the defending in the world we have to score one more to win. Can't se it myself but happy to be proved wrong.
I think you have a point here. We have no money,but at say 100.000 to 125.000 we might have gone for Robinson, still needing cash for a centre back , left back, and to keep everyone happy a decent wide player. I take it the rest would have been lonees prehaps,for i cant see Southend shelling out much more than say 150.000 to 200.000. It just seems odd to me with hardly any money to spend, we are even thinking of spending any money for strikers, when we dont even have a defence yet.

And that is where the real problem lies. None of our strikers, bar Laurent (in my opinion) can create a chance out of nothing. Barnard isn't gonna beat 4 men and slot the ball home and Freedman isn't going to do something like that either. They need chances created for them.

Our midfield lacks creativity, and it has done since Gower left. Somebody like Sawyer or David Noble in the middle of the park can create this chances for the forwards, as can players like Matt Ritchie and Ishmael Demontagnac on the wings.

Can I join your club? All discussions, rightly, highlight the need to strengthen our defence, particularly in view of the disappearance of Dervite and Clarke. Some posters bemoan the the reliability and speed of our forwards.
Although not present for games last season I have ears and eyes ........I can remember, for example, home games against Yeovil and Crewe, where we lacked someone with the creativity to break down a well organised and determined defense. If I'm not number one in the Lee Sawyer fan club........I'm pretty near the top. PLEASE, a creative player in the Sawyer or Gower mould as a first priority.........................................
.......................after the defence is sorted out, of course!

Can I join your club? All discussions, rightly, highlight the need to strengthen our defence, particularly in view of the disappearance of Dervite and Clarke. Some posters bemoan the the reliability and speed of our forwards.
Although not present for games last season I have ears and eyes ........I can remember, for example, home games against Yeovil and Crewe, where we lacked someone with the creativity to break down a well organised and determined defense. If I'm not number one in the Lee Sawyer fan club........I'm pretty near the top. PLEASE, a creative player in the Sawyer or Gower mould as a first priority.........................................
.......................after the defence is sorted out, of course!

seventh best post on SZ ever

No money but not many clubs at our level do. We'll pick up two free defenders, hopefully also Lee Sawyer or a creative midfielder too and then supplement the squad with loans. I can't remember many summers in which we've needed to sign so few players, but we need to make sure that the few that we do get are the right players.

Back