• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43806710

See that Amber Rudd is being asked " to consider her position." Surely the buck should stop with her boss?
Absolutely down to May - this may only be national (and international) news now but it dates back to her time as Home Secretary.

What is really troubling is that Theresa May’s Government have been threatening 50,000 UK Citizens of Caribbean descent with deportation as they have no immigration papers. These citizens had papers, landing cards but Theresa May’s department destroyed them in 2010.

This gets worse - May claimed in PMQs that the landing cards issue was from 2009 (i.e. blaming Labour) now no 10 have issued a statement retracting that - so May's incompetency is never ending!

Predictably the EU citizens status is now in view - Guy Verhofstadt tweeting that new discussions will be needed to ensure the UK government are capable of dealing with EU citizens right to stay.

Oh Theresa - declaring a 'hostile environment' probably seemed like a bit of tough talking to Conference but so many knock on effects for your reputation.

Absolutely down to May - this may only be national (and international) news now but it dates back to her time as Home Secretary.

What is really troubling is that Theresa May’s Government have been threatening 50,000 UK Citizens of Caribbean descent with deportation as they have no immigration papers. These citizens had papers, landing cards but Theresa May’s department destroyed them in 2010.

This gets worse - May claimed in PMQs that the landing cards issue was from 2009 (i.e. blaming Labour) now no 10 have issued a statement retracting that - so May's incompetency is never ending!

Predictably the EU citizens status is now in view - Guy Verhofstadt tweeting that new discussions will be needed to ensure the UK government are capable of dealing with EU citizens right to stay.

Oh Theresa - declaring a 'hostile environment' probably seemed like a bit of tough talking to Conference but so many knock on effects for your reputation.
Not that I don't believe you, but can you post a link please

Simple answer to this fiasco, is that any immigrant over the age of 45 should be given the right to remain REGARDLESS if they originated from the Carribean or not. That'll probably upset those of a right-wing leaning, but you know what - you voted for these ****wits. Too bad.

Change the law so the burden of proof is on the government to prove you don't have the right to remain, rather than an individual have to prove that they do have the right to remain.

Been stated today in PMQ's that the policy began in 2009 pre-Tory government. Interesting, more to hear on this over the coming days I feel.

Been stated today in PMQ's that the policy began in 2009 pre-Tory government. Interesting, more to hear on this over the coming days I feel.
May put the blame on Labour in PMQs but minutes later No 10 withdrew that claim. BBC have changed their website headline but George Osborne went ahead and put the false news on Evening Standard front page. Expect a tiny correction on page 24 tomorrow.

May put the blame on Labour in PMQs but minutes later No 10 withdrew that claim. BBC have changed their website headline but George Osborne went ahead and put the false news on Evening Standard front page. Expect a tiny correction on page 24 tomorrow.
what was a front cover story in the Evening Standard has now completely disappeared from the final print - no mention of PMQs in the whole paper now.
Another level of embarrassment for the PM - front page news to pretending she had never spoken a word - all in the same evening as print media try to keep up with the ever changing ways the government try to spin this.

So when May was in charge of the Home Office it was (according to Lord Kerlake) reminiscent of Nazi Germany. I wonder if this debacle, along with a hammering in the local elections, what does it for May?

So when May was in charge of the Home Office it was (according to Lord Kerlake) reminiscent of Nazi Germany. I wonder if this debacle, along with a hammering in the local elections, what does it for May?
Worth noting that the much criticised Diane Abbott flagged up the potential issues with May's new immigration policies of 2014 at the time and got a standard May reply that Abbott's fears were unfounded. Now we know Abbott was right and May was (deliberately?) wrong.

"We can deport first and hear appeals later."
"There are some who seem to think that the right to family life should always take precedence over public interest in immigration control"

Theresa May, 2013.

Wanting to create a 'hostile environment'

Theresa May, 2014

The 'Go Home' vans - Nick Timothy claims May was on holiday and knew nothing about them - but who would run a department where they are so disrespected that staff make policy behind your back? Now a former senior Home Office official says that Theresa May personally intervened to ensure "the controversial "go home or face arrest" immigration vans were "toughened up".

"I find it extraordinary that a Minister isn’t willing just to step up to the plate and take responsibility... I’m actually sick and tired of Government Ministers who simply blame other people when something goes wrong".

Theresa May, 2004

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43835664

I suspect both Labour and Tories as bad as each other on this.
Johnson couldn't remember anything about it two days ago - I wonder who persuaded him he could remember after all!
The landing cards just created a potential issue in the future, it was May's 2014 Immigration Act that made those potential issues a reality.

Johnson couldn't remember anything about it two days ago - I wonder who persuaded him he could remember after all!
The landing cards just created a potential issue in the future, it was May's 2014 Immigration Act that made those potential issues a reality.

So its a labour policy enacted by a tory government?

So its a labour policy enacted by a tory government?
nope, its some landing cards that the current Home Office have a different story on each day for 3 days as to whether it was 2009 or 2010 that Border Control decided to shred them, but its all agreed that they were shredded in 2010.
The big issue is the 2014 Immigration Act that was Mrs May's work and was opposed by the current Labour front bench.

Mrs May of 2004 would very much like Mrs May of 2018 (and her apologists) to take responsibility for her actions.

nope, its some landing cards that the current Home Office have a different story on each day for 3 days as to whether it was 2009 or 2010 that Border Control decided to shred them, but its all agreed that they were shredded in 2010.
The big issue is the 2014 Immigration Act that was Mrs May's work and was opposed by the current Labour front bench.

Mrs May of 2004 would very much like Mrs May of 2018 (and her apologists) to take responsibility for her actions.

So Alan Johnson is lying?, when he says the decisions on landing cards were made under a labour government in 2009.

So Alan Johnson is lying?, when he says the decisions on landing cards were made under a labour government in 2009.
two days ago he had no recollection, make up your own mind if that makes him a liar.
The bordering cards are something being blamed on civil servants. An Immigration Act is Government policy though - I don't see how May can shift the blame on that - it's 100% her responsibility, as is her choice of words to brag about the impact of her policy.

Back