• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Things kids will never believe

On that note, this incredible film from 1959 surfaced the other day on Faceache (maybe someone for tech savvy can work out how to better upload it?):

[video]https://www.facebook.com/YourSouthend/videos/1687920407894578/?hc_ref=ARRH41KY6Umy0V6EBUb1s5yu5D0adg9VvjshEJ_lkJ vANpO_xUlllpJ0K-dQPSF3J5c&pnref=story[/video]

The fact that a policeman, teacher or any adult could give you a clip round the ear if you did wrong and you didn't go crying to mum and dad that you'd been assaulted - in fact, you'd probably get another smack for what you did in the first place!

I think I've seen that before on FB. Search for Ros Southend Past loads of good stuff. Some of the Peter Pans rides were still there when I was a kid. The waltzer is at the rejuvenated Dreamland in Margate I believe the only one of its type in working order

Milk came in glass bottles and was left on your doorstep every morning.

When you had fizzy drinks , it came in a large bottle for which you got 3d if you took it back to the shop.

Would many kids these days know much about either of those acts?

Anyway...when I was younger, if we were driving from Canvey to Southend, we'd go past the water tower at the top of Essex Way. My dad used to tell me witches lived in there and I'd hide in down on the floor behind his seat so they couldn't see me.

Mentioned this to my two the other day and they were surprised that I was allowed to take my seat belt off and do that. Well children, this was the 1980s...
depends what you class as a kid, my eldest daughter is 20. My baby brother is 42.....

The fact that a policeman, teacher or any adult could give you a clip round the ear if you did wrong and you didn't go crying to mum and dad that you'd been assaulted - in fact, you'd probably get another smack for what you did in the first place!

And husbands could give their wives a slap.

Fortunately we've moved on.

My brother and I used to sleep in the back of our old Anglia estate , lying down in the boot...
Yeah, my sister and I did too. Roof rack on top of the Cortina Mk 1 Estate, mum dad, nan and grandad in the car and bed in the boot for my sister and me, leaving at 11 p.m. to drive down to Cornwall overnight.

The Police used to patrol and also walk the High Street and Seafront AND talk to people. They wore smart tunics, ties, clean boots and had(for men) to be a minimum of 5'10" to join up.
They went to schools and taught cycling proficiency; and 9/10 nights there would be a marked car parked on watch at Cookoo Corner, Old Vienna and Kursall roundabouts.

'Ere Burt, this is the place...

The adverts at the cinema were for local businesses such as Indian restaurants or my favourite the car stereo business featuring an entire band in an Austin Maxi or some similar piece of ****.

Yep, our liberal society is 'much better' than it was in the 70s. I'm not disagreeing with your specific point but I'd say on balance we are more affluent (clearly) but much poorer for that.

No, society is just more in debt.

Things kids will never believe........................... Their parents and grandparents generation screwed their future out on the promise of golden unicorns and a non existent 350 million quid.

'Ere Burt, this is the place...

The adverts at the cinema were for local businesses such as Indian restaurants or my favourite the car stereo business featuring an entire band in an Austin Maxi or some similar piece of ****.

they still are at my local cinema, which is an indie.

depends what you class as a kid, my eldest daughter is 20. My baby brother is 42.....

Fair point! I like The Housemartins, so I'm going to play them in the car this weekend when driving around my children (both six). Let's see how we go, although I am already predicting my daughter saying "Dad, this is rubbish, put on Shawn Mendes"

Back