• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winkle

Manager
Its not often that I dont sleep at night but last night instead of slipping into a coma I found myself thinking about the start of next season. Normally I am filled with a tinge of optimism and excitement with regards to how we will do and are our new signings going to mirror "Ronaldo" or... steven clark, but generally look forward to the new season with hopeful glee.
However, at this moment, right now, my gut feeling is saying........we are in the s***e! let me explain! When our current crop of senior players depart(I'm sure most of them will) I cannot see for the life of me, with all the optimism in the world any half decent player wanting to come and play at the hall.
I say that with a very heavy heart, but its the truth, would you? Many zoners over the last months have wrote about our chairman, and I have read most of it, some I agree with, some I disagree with.
Has "Ron " pillaged our club? Ron is a businessman who is the main debtor of our club and as much as everyone talks about getting rid of him and protesting against his dealings, we would have gone into administration if he did not bail us out. Having said this he has caused alot of this. His plans for a new stadium have affected the club finances terribly and left us in(in my view) an untenable position 5/6 weeks before the season starts. Pushing threw continuous plans when in a recession have weakend his ability to get the financial backing needed and his total disregard for owed payments to H.M.R.C bordered on madness which as left us in this state. I have not had any dealing with the chairman but from reading many on here who have ,he is very good at making things look rosey in the garden being roots hall, when infact if he was to come out and say, "we are struggling financially"and going to have to put the new ground on the back burner , I'm sure fans would see that at this time that would be acceptable. The thing is ...he wont. The debt we owe to him (as a club) can only be sustanable by a new ground and he as a businessman is aware of this. We can longer mortgage anything because we own nothing so in a nutshell we either go along with his plans threw gritted teeth and try and stay in the league or the club goes under.
Our ability to attact any players is going to be seriously hard and I suspect like most of you, its going to be youth players with the odd has been.
It comes to something when free available players choose teams in the conference over us and until we can lift the embargo I cannot forsee a situation were as a club we can look an attractive prospect for any professional footballer trying to make a living.
The thread started the other day about "Have you ever felt so low" highlighted to me that in all honesty....no I have not, but I love football and the blues so I will continue to go next season even if we have a youth team out and get walloped every game with the faint hope that things will improve.

yup completely doomed. I think we're in for a few more surprises yet. I waiting for the day tilly resigns. How much more can the man take, even if their is a job waiting for him or not. millions would have left by now.

Repeat message..........

I would normally try to think of something constructive to say and put it hopefully in a clear and well thought out way but I can think of no other way to say this......

Ron Martin is an ARSE and he is using the club and the fans to wipe himself!

I agree that it may only be a matter of time before Tilly has had enough and leaves, he almost certainly will not have a team of any sort of quality to manage next season at this rate!

Please lets see some semblance of light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

As I said in another thread the other day, we need a 3m cash injection just to see us through this season. Then next season we can try to rebuild with an almost clean slate. If Ron Martin can get this cash injection from somewhere then (and I know that it won't be a popular opinion) I think he'll have managed the situtation pretty well all things considered. He's trying to juggle a dozen financial hand-grenades (albeit many of his own making) caused by him running out of the money needed to keep the Club ticking over.

If he can't get the cash in then I just don't see where we go. Administration isn't an option because it achieves nothing in our case. It would reduce our debt but our debt is an accounting creation on a book at Companies House which in reality means very little and doesn't cause us much/any problem on a day-to-day basis. It wouldn't restore the Club's assets, it wouldn't make us suddenly into a cash-making business. Unless someone came in with the cash then we'd still be unable to pay wages and our tax bills.

As unpalatable as many on here will find it, as things stand now I really think that our best (only?) hope of survival is Ron Martin.

As I said in another thread the other day, we need a 3m cash injection just to see us through this season. Then next season we can try to rebuild with an almost clean slate. If Ron Martin can get this cash injection from somewhere then (and I know that it won't be a popular opinion) I think he'll have managed the situtation pretty well all things considered. He's trying to juggle a dozen financial hand-grenades (albeit many of his own making) caused by him running out of the money needed to keep the Club ticking over.

If he can't get the cash in then I just don't see where we go. Administration isn't an option because it achieves nothing in our case. It would reduce our debt but our debt is an accounting creation on a book at Companies House which in reality means very little and doesn't cause us much/any problem on a day-to-day basis. It wouldn't restore the Club's assets, it wouldn't make us suddenly into a cash-making business. Unless someone came in with the cash then we'd still be unable to pay wages and our tax bills.

As unpalatable as many on here will find it, as things stand now I really think that our best (only?) hope of survival is Ron Martin.

I'd hate to see your definition of mismanagement !

If (and it's a big 'if') he manages to get the Club through a few years in which it's income doesn't match it's expenditure and he has no way himself of bridging the gap between the two then I don't see how that can't be anything other than a case of successful crisis management.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that he has got a way through all of this though.

I cannot see how anyone can support the Chairman over his treatment of the players regarding their non-payment. I wouldn't want to work for anyone who does.

Gone beyond a Joke now. We are as far as I can see unable to sign or retain anyone of note. We cant even pay the few players we have left. Hard to. See anything other than a relegation coming upon current form. Maybe time for the fans to revolt I feel.

Despite all our troubles, I'm looking forward to this season :|

Beefy [B said:
As unpalatable as many on here will find it, as things stand now I really think that our best (only?) hope of survival is Ron Martin[/B].

One thing's certain, RM won't lose out. He has gained planning permission to build on acres and acres of green field site, which of course is why he 'came to our rescue' 12 years ago. Property developers are a patient bunch, at times buying land for the next generation, and RM is no exception. Keeping the Blues ticking along is a minor part of the overall plan.
At present, apparently the planning permission for Roots Hall is on the basis that the new ground is up and running first, which is encouraging, but does our Council have the guts to insist on this, after all they have already changed allowed a change at FF re the retail outlet.

Does this excerpt, re Rayleigh Speedway from one of my 'very interesting' library of books sound slightly familiar, ".........then in 1973 in spite of good crowd figures of around 5,000, the site was sold for redevelopement and was to become a Sainsbury's Supermarket........and there would never be Speedway at the Weir again".

Does this excerpt, re Rayleigh Speedway from one of my 'very interesting' library of books sound slightly familiar, ".........then in 1973 in spite of good crowd figures of around 5,000, the site was sold for redevelopement and was to become a Sainsbury's Supermarket........and there would never be Speedway at the Weir again".

Unless me & Sherif H get our way ;)

Last edited:
Didn't one of the club statements in the spring say that relegation to League Two would be "fatal" for the club? Are we reading too much into that comment or were we being forewarned of what could happen if we went down?

I'd also like to know what's happened to the season ticket money - why were players paid late this month at a time of the year when the club gets a lot of income?

Last edited:
The season ticket money has clearly been used to pay the final obligations from last season (just as it appears that a lot of 09/10's money was spent towards the end of 08/09).

I'd also like to know what's happened to the season ticket money - why were players paid late this month at a time of the year when the club gets a lot of income?

I think quite a few people would of taken up the World cup offer at Christmas time of course which they are all entitled to an £80 refund from.

Don't hold your breath.

I know my dad is waiting for a cheque as he paid for he season ticket early before price change... there could be a lot of people taking the club to the small claims court!

Back