• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tilly just use your subs wisely for once

ashingdon shrimper

Youth Team
can someone please tell tilly to put his subs on earlier, give scannell maybe half an hour not the boring 10 minute substitution when we are in deficit by 2 goals. it is time that tilly managed the team not just by using some formula that may have worked 2 seasons ago

Also something that i don't get is, why take hooper off for scannell, he should of taken hunt off as he just got booked and also get kev on. 15-10 mins is hard for any player to get going, they need longer.

can someone please tell tilly to put his subs on earlier, give scannell maybe half an hour not the boring 10 minute substitution when we are in deficit by 2 goals. it is time that tilly managed the team not just by using some formula that may have worked 2 seasons ago

You wouldn't of taken off Hooper that early and like me,you weren't there so can't make a judgement really.
Subs are subs for one reason,they're not up to making the first eleven and therefore they are not expected to change a game,though obviously they sometimes do.
You don't need a sub on for half an hour unless the team needs it.Did they??

of course they did , we were losing 3-1 after 5 mins in the second half, surely this is time to make a change , not when there is hardly any hope in changing the result

of course they did , we were losing 3-1 after 5 mins in the second half, surely this is time to make a change , not when there is hardly any hope in changing the result

Sorry but the bloke will NEVER learn, also why do we always react with all guns blazing when the game is virtually out of reach?

The point is Hooper should have stayed on, not taken off at all. With 20 minutes to go, Hunt should have gone off for Scannell. We then drop Francis to rightback with Scannell right wing playing 4-4-2 defense and 3-4-3 on the attack with Francis pushing up into midfield and Scannell joing Hooper and Black upfront. We could have also taken off McCormack (because he was on a yellow) and replaced him with Maher to add some bite to the midfiled without the risk off McCormack getting a second yellow

How do you intend to change the result with sub-standard players though being on after 50mins?
What those players really needed was to concentrate early on in the second,after those 2 quick goals went in you've realistically got no chance away from home.
The only player i would have put on by the sound of it was Richards.

The point is Hooper should have stayed on, not taken off at all. With 20 minutes to go, Hunt should have gone off for Scannell. We then drop Francis to rightback with Scannell right wing playing 4-4-2 defense and 3-4-3 on the attack with Francis pushing up into midfield and Scannell joing Hooper and Black upfront. We could have also taken off McCormack (because he was on a yellow) and replaced him with Maher to add some bite to the midfiled without the risk off McCormack getting a second yellow

Next Southend manager, Alex, spot on!

You wouldn't of taken off Hooper that early and like me,you weren't there so can't make a judgement really.
Subs are subs for one reason,they're not up to making the first eleven and therefore they are not expected to change a game,though obviously they sometimes do.
You don't need a sub on for half an hour unless the team needs it.Did they??

Unless there is an injury to a player, making a sub like for like may not work, but making a sub for tactical reasons, such as losing 3-1 and need to score at least twice so changing a defensive minded midfielder for an attacking one or making a sub to allow a change the formation is what should be done. What fans are moaning is that Tilly only seems to try and do this too late in the game

He has already stated Scannell is not up to full fitness! Give Tilly a break he's doing the best he can. You cant do much else when you've scored 3 goals away from home, it all came down to the defence.

To be perfectly honest, with the options left open to Tilly on our bench, I doubt there is much he could have done, aside from what he did do, which was give Scammell 10-15 minutes. As he said, his fitness isn't there yet.

The question you should be asking, in reality, is why are we in a situation that we have a substitutes bench with almost no players on it that you could bring on to affect a positive change? It was a woefully weak bench, and you absolutely knew that if we were losing, we would have to try and turn it round with the 11 out there, with the exception of Scammell, who was only able to play for a short burst.

That is the biggest issue here.

I would have thought this was the obvious way to go but maybe not as it wasn't what happened?!

Tilly's interview afterwards gave the impression that he was satisfied with our overall performance except for the 10 minutes of defensive madness at the start of the first half, he said that everytime we went forward we looked like scoring or getting in a scoring position.
That, to me sounds like a reason for not making subs. the errors came at the back and had already occured so any subs could not have changed that.

That said, we scored twice after Scanell came on and also missed a great opportunity when the ball fell to Hunt inside the box and he put it over (to quote Tilly again "when you thought he should have scored" ) Scannell has only been full time for three weeks and is gradually being brought up to the rigours of a league 3 steps above what he was used to.

Now I am not blindly defending Tilly here (personally I would play Maher instead of Macca as I feel it adds a bit of more stability in front of the back four) but I do feel that there are a number of "stock" responses to defeats on here and they are blithley rolled out by all and sundry without much thought going into it before posting.

How long has Tilson being doing this for though, it's a joke now!

He's plainly run out of ideas.

The right formula would be someone else managing the team!

How long has Tilson being doing this for though, it's a joke now!

He's plainly run out of ideas.

The right formula would be someone else managing the team!

Please expand on this formula

Names of those suitable would be a start.
Then add in the salary cost, compensation to their clubs etc.
So we can all see whether its worth it.

Ad exactly what is a joke, picking your best 11 and sticking with it and not making Knee jerk team changes during a game ?

My guess is that you have not got a clue, either on how to run a football club, what managers are available and better than the T/B combination or on how to manage a football team.

Please expand on this formula

Names of those suitable would be a start.
Then add in the salary cost, compensation to their clubs etc.
So we can all see whether its worth it.

Ad exactly what is a joke, picking your best 11 and sticking with it and not making Knee jerk team changes during a game ?

My guess is that you have not got a clue, either on how to run a football club, what managers are available and better than the T/B combination or on how to manage a football team.

Please bring back rep. Well said mate.

when we are losing you need all your forwards on and not taking then of like hooper for scannell every game

Back