• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson and his negotiation skills

I hate to point this out, but i often find myself fustrated when transfer season is appon us. It seems to tbe the time when both tilson and brush repeat themselves saying they have a shortlist, its a long process, we are waiting for players to get back to us, they dont want to re locate.

I know its only June, but i have a bad feeling that it will be the usual fustration and some desperate buys towards the end of the window once again.

And a few more statements from tilly and brushy yes once again confirming we are still going for players

just wonderd if anyone on here has any views on tilly and brushes ongoing fustrations in the market?

hes done a great job in the past dont see the problem myself he seemed to do ok with eastwood, goater,bailey, macca,prior etc etc etc etc etc etc its not like championsship manager it can take a while, also look what hes got to work with, a **** hole of a ground, not the highest payers and a section of supporters who are whiney mugs

Last edited:
its early and Im tired but you know what I mean, for all the success tilson has brought to the club people still want to have a go, it still amazes me, we as a club have been to the play offs twice in our history, who was our manager? back to back promotions anyone, two national finals(ldv) yeah his negotiating skills must be krap

I think every single one of Tilly's January signings were on the money. He's getting better every time. I'm trying to think of a summer signing that was crap too? Liptak maybe but we haven't seen him so no-one can comment. Tilly is IMO the best young manager in the country at the moment and that should be enough to sell the club, as well a new ground and fantastic potential for the club to grow.

I hate to point this out, but i often find myself fustrated when transfer season is appon us. It seems to tbe the time when both tilson and brush repeat themselves saying they have a shortlist, its a long process, we are waiting for players to get back to us, they dont want to re locate.

I know its only June, but i have a bad feeling that it will be the usual fustration and some desperate buys towards the end of the window once again.

And a few more statements from tilly and brushy yes once again confirming we are still going for players

just wonderd if anyone on here has any views on tilly and brushes ongoing fustrations in the market?

There are supporters at every club, in every division that think this.

Every club will get some of the players they want, every club will lose some players they don't want to lose, every club will make some signings that don't work out. It's called football.

You just have to look at how January's signings impacted on our season to see that Tilly & Brush know what they are doing.

Most of the players are on holiday at this point and that is why not much happens.

I've repeated endlessly during every transfer window that agents delay accepting positions because the longer they leave it the more chance of something better coming along. Why would a player accept a new contract or sign for a club within a couple of weeks after his holiday when he can wait another month or more to see if anything better comes along? If it doesn't then he can accept the original offer.

Also it would be Ron Martin that deals with the negotiation I would imagine.

Yeah best young manager in the country!!!!!!!

People like Aidy Boothroyd and Paul Ince must be thinking the same lol

Here we go again, a few people who don't know what they are talking about start slagging Tilson off and the season has only been over for a week. I am confident TIlson will make some good signings this summer but he is human and might make the odd bad signing.

I don't think he or Brushy is any different to any other manager in this respect. The season has only just finished and he can't wave a magic wand. The reason he is saying such things is that supporters want to know something is happening and he has to say something to keep everyone happy. The same stuff was said last season and we signed Bailey and others. I have every confidence we will see some interesting signings before too long. Let's face it, letting 8 go he has to get people in.

I don't really see it as a frustration as such but we do have our limitations and I think Tilly and Brush work wonders within those. We're never going to be a fashionable club or able to flash the cash, but we're a down to earth, family orientated one and hopefully new signees recognise this and are drawn also by Tilson himself.

Last edited:
I don't really see it as a frustration as such but we do have our limitations and I think Tilly and Brush work wonders within those. We're never going to be a fashionable club or able to flash the cash, but we're a down to earth, family orientated one and hopefully new signees recognise this and are drawn also by Tilson himself.

Totally agree.

There is a great deal of positivity around the club at the moment, and that is down to the management within the club.

IMO it was a positive move to release certain players as soon as the season had finished, T&B can then focus their efforts on incoming personnel.

T&B have probably been researching their targets since February/March to give themselves a head-start.

I have faith in T&B and the Chairman to bring in the right players to do a committed and suitable job for the team and to take SUFC forward.

The transfer window is always a frustrating time, but this isnt exclusive to SUFC. It's a frustrating time for the majority of the clubs in all divisions. Most of the clubs from the CCC downwards go in for players that have are top of their list but they just cant meet the players expectations. However, I think it's very harsh to put this down to Tilson's negotiation skills. How the hell can us as fans judge Tilson's skills in this area. I think some of the signings in the last few years have been fantastic. But as with everything with life you have to take the good with the bad. For every Bailey there is a Paynter, for every Macca there is a Harrold. Not saying Paynter and Harrold never did a good thing for the club but they were the signings that havent come off.

With the resources we have, current league, smallish crowds and ground etc, I think the managment team do extremely well to get players to the club. It must be a hard sell, but as OBL says, it is a down to earth, family orientated club not Old Trafford.

Get off Tilson's back! I fail to understand how some people come down so hard on him and would love to see some of you manage the things he has with such limited resources. Tilson in!!!

Yeah, if Tilson and Brush were any good they'd be ahead of the game and would have signed players they wanted to sign in January. Oh wait, we signed loads of players in January including the likes of Scannell and Masters who definitely weren't signed with last season in mind.

Keep up Ashingdon.

The transfer window is always a frustrating time, but this isnt exclusive to SUFC. It's a frustrating time for the majority of the clubs in all divisions. Most of the clubs from the CCC downwards go in for players that have are top of their list but they just cant meet the players expectations. However, I think it's very harsh to put this down to Tilson's negotiation skills. How the hell can us as fans judge Tilson's skills in this area. I think some of the signings in the last few years have been fantastic. But as with everything with life you have to take the good with the bad. For every Bailey there is a Paynter, for every Macca there is a Harrold. Not saying Paynter and Harrold never did a good thing for the club but they were the signings that havent come off.

With the resources we have, current league, smallish crowds and ground etc, I think the managment team do extremely well to get players to the club. It must be a hard sell, but as OBL says, it is a down to earth, family orientated club not Old Trafford.

Get off Tilson's back! I fail to understand how some people come down so hard on him and would love to see some of you manage the things he has with such limited resources. Tilson in!!!

they same way people got on Bailey's back yesterday?

Get off Tilson's back! I fail to understand how some people come down so hard on him

could be the reason people get on Nicky Bailey's back about his contract?

First off, this doesnt make sense? The reason people came down on Niky Bailey because people come down hard on Tilson? :dizzy:

they same way people got on Bailey's back yesterday?

Erm no. Its not the same situation. This is saying that Tilson is not good at negotiating with players and he is the reason that we can get the good players in.

The Bailey thing was about him possibly looking to move on after a year for more likely more money. That is frustration because we know that Bailey is a wicked player and that we would be gutted to loose him. His loyalty was questioned because of how much he said he wanted to play here before he moved..... Anything that happens in relation to Baileys contract will be entirely his decision, no one else signs that contract or not except him.

The transfer thing is different as we dont know the facts when it comes to transfers. I cant see how you can compare the two things at all!

Last edited:
Im sure he knows what he is doing, although we do tend to sign players quite late on !! :@
We had a rather small squad last season and now more players have gone its extremely small.. Tilly will obviously have a long shortlist (i hope) and he will definitely try his best and give his all for the club.

Im sure he knows what he is doing, although we do tend to sign players quite late on !! :@
We had a rather small squad last season and now more players have gone its extremely small.. Tilly will obviously have a long shortlist (i hope) and he will definitely try his best and give his all for the club.

After two promotions and a play off semi I suspect that Tilly may well know what he is doing.

You never know he may have a short long list.:unsure:

Back