• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson, brilliant one minute poor the next!

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
He really is so inconsistent with his decision making. I think even people like Yorkshire Blue would deep down admit that it was a blatant couple of mistakes replacing Flahavan with Mildenhall and releasing Gary Hooper to run riot on League 1 then bringing in Furlong and Red Rum. Yet on the other side of the coin he gets in great aquisitions like Harding, Sawyer and Freedman. Spencer Prior knew Hoops was as good, probably better than Eastwood so why didn't Tilly? With a bit of gelling and loan extensions i think this is still a team to be reckoned with but it was there already on a plate until a few retainable players were let go!

Last edited:
Your not wrong there, although Hooper never really showed much when he played for us.

I could see that Hooper had potential and he had enough chances to do it for us but for whatever reason he couldn't.

He really is so inconsistent with his decision making. I think even people like Yorkshire Blue would deep down admit that it was a blatant couple of mistakes replacing Flahavan with Mildenhall and releasing Gary Hooper to run riot on League 1 then bringing in Furlong and Red Rum. Yet on the other side of the coin he gets in great aquisitions like Harding, Sawyer and Freeman. Spencer Prior new Hoops was as good, probably better than Eastwood so why didn't Tilly? With a bit of gelling and loan extensions i think this is still a team to be reckoned with but it was all already on a plate until a few retainable players were let go!

Agree on a most of it strangely, but just stop with the Flahavan thing will you, we all know what you think about Flahavan and Mildenhal, you keep banging on about isn't going to bring Falvs back, just get over it now!!

Agree with the Hooper comment!

Your not wrong there, although Hooper never really showed much when he played for us.

He showed enough in glimpses whilst alongside Leon Clarke to know that he was worth keeping. Service has always been severly lacking in this club and am afraid that Barney and Freeman may suffer the same fate. Both are quality but will we ever find out. Eastwood done it on his own. Barney i know needs putting in!

Agree on a most of it strangely, but just stop with the Flahavan thing will you, we all know what you think about Flahavan and Mildenhal, you keep banging on about isn't going to bring Falvs back, just get over it now!!

Agree with the Hooper comment!

Flavs aint coming back fact, it's an illustration of a poor decision, Flavs, Collis who cares, major mistake. Good and bad decisions it's 50/50 with Tilson!

so much for your 'resigning from shrimperzone'....

Just a break not resignation. Looked so dreary on here with overseas posters that never went to matches, i thought i'd come back with a real fans eye view!

Just a break not resignation. Looked so dreary on here with overseas posters that never went to matches, i thought i'd come back with a real fans eye view!

Us 'dreary' overseas fans appreciate your input a great deal btw. I'm so impressed with your views, i'm going to bake you a cake with your name on it. See you at the Orient match.

He really is so inconsistent with his decision making. I think even people like Yorkshire Blue would deep down admit that it was a blatant couple of mistakes replacing Flahavan with Mildenhall and releasing Gary Hooper to run riot on League 1 then bringing in Furlong and Red Rum. Yet on the other side of the coin he gets in great aquisitions like Harding, Sawyer and Freedman. Spencer Prior new Hoops was as good, probably better than Eastwood so why didn't Tilly? With a bit of gelling and loan extensions i think this is still a team to be reckoned with but it was there already on a plate until a few retainable players were let go!

Good post - agree 100%.
Scunthorpe will sell Hooper at the end of the seaon for in excess of £1m.

Good post - agree 100%.
Scunthorpe will sell Hooper at the end of the seaon for in excess of £1m.

Very possibly, but he never showed the form he did in his loan spells at Orient and Hereford as he did with us.

Some players don't click at certain Clubs. Look at Eastwood, brilliant for us but struggled at Wolves for one reason or another. Barnard, brilliant with us, struggled on his loan spells away from Spurs. Henry, brilliant at Arsenal, struggling at Barcelona.

To be honest, we did very well to get some money in for him. He had the potential, but wasn't going to start over Barnard, Furlong, Revell and Walker, and now we have Freedman. Hooper wanted to play first team football and he wouldn't have got that here.

However you dress it up, the whole Hooper thing is a disaster for this Club.

As many times as people say he had enough chances for this Club (he didn't) he should have been the player our entire team was built around.

Flavs aint coming back fact, it's an illustration of a poor decision, Flavs, Collis who cares, major mistake. Good and bad decisions it's 50/50 with Tilson!

I'm just glad that you're finally able to see that he's not just **** the whole time as it improves your credibility a lot.

For me though, while Tilson has to work with the budgets that come with a club our size trying to manage its finances correctly, he will always have to take gambles on players. Hardly surprising that they don't always work out.

While managers like Ferguson can spunk 7 figures on proven players like Veron and still not see them work out, I think we can allow Tilly a little slack occasionally given what he has to work with.

As for Hooper, how long do you keep someone who shows continual potential but just can't do it for you on the pitch? The lad certainly had enough chances.

We need to get another centre back in quickly. Sankofa isn't the answer, as we need another Leon Cort type of centre back - i.e. 6'4" and not too shabby on the deck...

Having not seen enough of Sankofa I can't judge, however he would seem more suited at full back.

Unfortunately 6'4" footballing centre backs are as rare as hens teeth.

Back