• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson, brilliant one minute poor the next!

Having said that, if Hooper needed more time to make an impact at Roots Hall, maybe Revell and Furlong do before you write them off.

I don't get to many home games but in the past I saw Hooper mentioned as one of those players the Roots Hall crowd quickly grew restless with.
If this is correct then a large part in his lack of success for Southend may be down the doom-mongers/"right-to-boo" brigade. A lesson I fear they are unlikely to learn.

I don't get to many home games but in the past I saw Hooper mentioned as one of those players the Roots Hall crowd quickly grew restless with.
If this is correct then a large part in his lack of success for Southend may be down the doom-mongers/"right-to-boo" brigade. A lesson I fear they are unlikely to learn.

I never really noticed the crowd get restless with Hooper, certainly not compared to his contemporary Harrold. There always seemed to be a fair bit of support for him, if he was subbed the crowd would get restless but only because they'd be yelling why take him off, why not Harrold/Bradbury/Gower or some other boo-boy going off. Maybe it was different in other parts of the ground, but the groan when Harrold would come on was audible from 3 sides of the ground.

Yorkshire Blue is spot on. Hooper never had the fans on his back, infact we where all behind them. This was apparent in the away trip to Bournemouth.

Hooper can't use that excuse, and nor can the fans as to why it didn't work for him.

Yeah, there wasn't a huge amount of stick thrown in the direction of Hooper. There were always plenty more scapegoats on the field for Hoops to be in the firing line.

what's this new received wisdom that Hooper looked good with Leon Clarke? I recall their partnership as one of the most frustrating i've seen- all backheels, flicks and repeatedly falling over, topped out with an alarming absence of decent shots. Did I miss a meeting again?

what's this new received wisdom that Hooper looked good with Leon Clarke? I recall their partnership as one of the most frustrating i've seen- all backheels, flicks and repeatedly falling over, topped out with an alarming absence of decent shots. Did I miss a meeting again?

Loz, they only had a few run outs together and Leon Clarke was reported on paper to have said that Hooper was his preferred strike partner at the time, I think it was in an interview in the Echo. Funnily enough, I don't think they played together after that for one reason or another.

Clarke and Harold looked the best partenership back then

fair enough, although for me Clarke's most effective performance was against Gillingham, when paired with the almighty force of Matt Harrold. Watching Clarke and Hooper play together, it seemed to me like they encouraged each other's worst instincts at times. Hoops for me needed to be playing with a talented central mid who could slot through-balls to him- much like how Gary Jones briefly became useful with Ronnie Whelan behind him.

Harrold's nose was a little put out at the time I think - and nothing to do with being bloodied! - but as I said, Clarke seemed to like Hooper's unselfishness as it gave him far more opportunity. It was definitely a direct quote, but didn't seem to have any effect on the team selection at all because he was with Harrold more than anyone else from memory.

Loz, they only had a few run outs together and Leon Clarke was reported on paper to have said that Hooper was his preferred strike partner at the time, I think it was in an interview in the Echo. Funnily enough, I don't think they played together after that for one reason or another.

It was love at first sight. But once Hoopers dad got wind of the blossoming romance on and off the pitch, he told Tilly to break it up forever.

From then, Leon became disgruntled and played his way out of the club, and Hooper gave the two fingers to Tilly by scoring for every club other than Southend.

You heard it here first ;)

Why don't we just wait and see what Hooper does for the rest of the season? It is unlikely he will keep scoring at this rate, otherwise he'll end up with 55 league goals!

Always thought he had a decent touch on him but never looked like he was a real 'finisher'.

He will be a marked man for the rest of the season (Except when he plays us ahem!)

It was love at first sight. But once Hoopers dad got wind of the blossoming romance on and off the pitch, he told Tilly to break it up forever.

From then, Leon became disgruntled and played his way out of the club, and Hooper gave the two fingers to Tilly by scoring for every club other than Southend.

You heard it here first ;)

love it lol

Southend United on the verge of conference football ...... Steve Tilson ....... CCC, Fossetts Farm, League One CHAMPIONS, Manchester United, 2 x White Hart Lane, all of it = brilliant.

And hes an Essex boy - one of us.

Brilliant.

some people are really ..... ...... whatever.

Whereas your decisions are always spot on? Please do remind me how you described Bailey???

This is so tiresome. Have you ever considered finding something worthwhile to do with your life or are you content to sit in your ivory tower and sneer?

Spot on.

Only those with a certain arrogance/pretentiousness "announce" they are not going to post on here anymore - like we give a ****.

Back