• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson says we were Unlucky!

Really fed up with hearing this and I hope he isn't saying the same to the players.

Giving away 3 goals for god knows how many games is not unlucky it is crap defending.

Alright we hit the bar etc etc but we are leaking goals. We are also scoring goals therefore if we dont give the opposition a 3 goal start we might get a point or two.

Change the record Steve and start to tell it like it really is. Take off those Rose coloured glasses and get the defence to watch the goals we have conceded over and over again until they don't realise that they were all "Unlucky"

Really P****d off because we can match these teams but give them all a 3 goal start which is stupid.

Anyway rant over still think we can stay up but htere needs to be some serious surgery at the back

COme on the Blues

You got home from Wolverhampton back to Wickford quickly...

If, like me, you didn't go to the game today for god sake don't disagree blindly with the manager who has taken us from League Two all the way to where we are now (despite our recent struggles). Maybe we were unlucky, maybe we did play very well for the majority of the game. I don't know, I didn't go to Molineux today.

If you're going to disagree with Tilly for christ sake watch the game first!
mad.gif

well said mattlovell6. hitting the bar twice sounds somewhat unlucky, for a start. doesn't mean it's the only reason for our defeat, and i'm sure Tilly knows that- equally though, that doesn't make it a lie.

I know Tilson would say that, it remind me of Ronnie Whelan when he say "We keep letting in silly goals" after the match interview - why can you get the players to watch the video of the last 12 game, letting in 3 goals a games is becoming a F****g joke, how long we are going to see a 4-0 to 6-0 defeat as the season go on?

I don't think W.B's saying we weren't unlucky, because from the sounds of things we were. But, the fact we are conceding 3 goals every game can't entierly be down to "bad luck" and the defence really need to sharpen up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BHA @ Nov. 04 2006,18:08)]You don't get unlucky for the whole season.
Exactly, which is why I confidently predict a turnaround soon.

Just because Tilly isn't publically slating the players doesn't mean he's not telling them that defending like this is unacceptable.

What do people want him to do? Come out and slag off the back four?!? That would be a great way to get some spirit and belief back into the platers....

Just returned from Molineux and I can say that Tilly's totally right. We totally outplayed them for the whole game, Wolves were nothing special. Yes, we conceded three goals, but that isn't the whole story:

Goal 1: Flahavan fumbled the ball carelessly in the box, therefore the fault is his.
Goal 2: defending wasn't too much as fault, Craddock placed a sweetly volleyed chip over the head of Flahavan and into the top corner.
Goal 3: Header at the back post from a free kick, awarded as one of many inexplicable decisions from the referees.

Forgetting the goals for a second; defending, on the whole, was pretty solid. Tilly only made one substitution, Francis for JCR, and this turned out to be exactly right for the situation. Wolves had come out for the second half with a pressing strategy intended to reduce our time on the ball. I know of no-one in our squad who can hold up the ball better than JCR, who did not waste possession but intelligently laid it off to blue shirts as well as getting himself in space and winning attacking throws. In attack, Freddy and Harrold were both above average; Freddy can consider himself very unfortunate not to have scored a goal.

Whilst the game was not a masterclass in Championship football, if the score had been 1-1 we would probably be unhappy with a point. So, if the consistently better footballers over 90 minutes losing by three goals to one is unlucky then yes, we were unlucky.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 04 2006,18:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BHA @ Nov. 04 2006,18:08)]You don't get unlucky for the whole season.
Exactly, which is why I confidently predict a turnaround soon.
i agree

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brum Uni Shrimper @ Nov. 04 2006,18:43)]Just returned from Molineux and I can say that Tilly's totally right. We totally outplayed them for the whole game, Wolves were nothing special. Yes, we conceded three goals, but that isn't the whole story:

Goal 1: Flahavan fumbled the ball carelessly in the box, therefore the fault is his.
Goal 2: defending wasn't too much as fault, Craddock placed a sweetly volleyed chip over the head of Flahavan and into the top corner.
Goal 3: Header at the back post from a free kick, awarded as one of many inexplicable decisions from the referees.

Forgetting the goals for a second; defending, on the whole, was pretty solid. Tilly only made one substitution, Francis for JCR, and this turned out to be exactly right for the situation. Wolves had come out for the second half with a pressing strategy intended to reduce our time on the ball. I know of no-one in our squad who can hold up the ball better than JCR, who did not waste possession but intelligently laid it off to blue shirts as well as getting himself in space and winning attacking throws. In attack, Freddy and Harrold were both above average; Freddy can consider himself very unfortunate not to have scored a goal.

Whilst the game was not a masterclass in Championship football, if the score had been 1-1 we would probably be unhappy with a point. So, if the consistently better footballers over 90 minutes losing by three goals to one is unlucky then yes, we were unlucky.
cheers mate, often with us the scoreboard doesn't tell the whole story... unfortunately the scoreboard is the one thing that counts

Love al the replies to my post!

Just one question, have we let in 3 goals a game for the last god knows how many games?

Once every now and then is unlucky, every game is not!

There must be a fundamental problem, for a team to score 3 goals against us they must have done something or we did not do something!

I love SUFC and yes I did not go to the game but reeling out the "we were unlucky" thing is not good enough, you have to make your own luck.

I f I were running SUFC as a business and we lost money every week the manager in charge coming back to me saying "we were unlucky" would not be a reasonable answer, Why, What are we doing about it etc would be the response.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wickford Blue @ Nov. 04 2006,17:47)]get the defence to watch the goals we have conceded over and over again until they don't realise that they were all "Unlucky"
I doubt this would help anyway - it's not that the defence is underperforming it's due to the fact that they haven't been able to cope with the massive step up in terms of quality and thats why we're leaking 3 a game.

Having said that the whole team look awful at this moment in time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wickford Blue @ Nov. 04 2006,19:14)]Just one question, have we let in 3 goals a game for the last god knows how many games?
We conceded 3 for the EIGHTH time in the League this season this afternoon - that doesn't signal bad luck it signals the fact we are not good enough for this level.

We didn't concede 3 goals in the game.

We conceded 3 goals in 25 minutes.

Again.

Wake up people, sad truth is we're down already.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Nov. 04 2006,18:33)]Just because Tilly isn't publically slating the players doesn't mean he's not telling them that defending like this is unacceptable.

What do people want him to do? Come out and slag off the back four?!? That would be a great way to get some spirit and belief back into the platers....
I agree with this. Have been getting a lot of grief from various mates about the current situation and one in particular picked up on the point that Tilly needs to stop blaming luck and state that the players are not good enough. Till cannot say this because it is the truth.

If Alex Ferguson is disappointed with performances then he can tell the players they are not good enough - well they are clearly are good enough and can respond to this criticism by proving him wrong. If Tilly says this what have the players got to respond with? At any level of football you know what standard you can play in - the players will be worrying that they are out of the depth. Tilly coming out in the open and clarifying this is only going to reinforce their own fears which will cause even more mistakes and errors. Their confidence is low enough - the fact they have lost the ability to pass the ball like we did all of last season.

Tilly does need to become shrewder with his tactics and try and bring in faces - but he can't slag off the players - there is nothing to be gained by this.

I think we used up all our good luck last season!

Tilly is right, today was unlucky. Flavs drops an absoulte clanger for their first goal, the worst mistake he's made in 7 seasons with the club. The second was a great goal, nothing we could do about that. The third was bad marking, a frustrating goal to concede. Every mistake we make seems to be punished at the moment.

However, the team never gave up today, that spirit it the second half was excellent. Sodje and Prior were good, Maher and Harrold were impressive too.

I don't mind watching the team lose if they are trying hard, as they have done all this season. If we are going down, we are certainly going down with a fight and if we are in Leauge One next season we'll have a good chance of getting back up.

Tilly is a hero, I'm mortified people on here are calling for his head, after all he has done for us...

dont think Tilly can keep blaming luck. The simple fact is other teams have players who can put their chances away and we dont

The teams at the bottom of any division aren't usually massively different from three-quarters of the rest of the teams in their league.  I can honestly say that, apart from Cardiff, I don't think any other teams we've played have been unbeatable with the players we have at our disposal.

You do though get a certain amount of luck each season and it comes in about equal proportions good and bad.

The teams at the bottom will get their bad luck at the worst time; a deflected goal in the last minute, a bad injury to a position that they don't have cover in, a mystifying decision from a ref that gives the other team a free-kick on the edge of your box from which they score.

The "unlucky" team will then get their good luck which comes in the form of a dubious decision being given their way but in their own half of the pitch, a deflection going in but when they're 3-0 down with 5 minutes to go, or any other case where the opposition is getting their bit of bad luck but isn't getting damaged by it.

I think this is what is making us an unlucky team this term as opposed to last season when I think, we might just have used a bit of our good luck in advance.

Back