• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time for a new Battle of?

1984.George Orwell.

Undoubtedly one of the greatest novels ever written, an excellent choice. It astounds me that anyone can have your political viewpoint whilst appreciating the magnificence of '1984'. Before you go and raid wikipedia, I'm aware that Orwell considered himself to be a man of the left, but I would contend that he was a classical 'liberal' rather than the corporatist technocrat that you appear to be.

Ok Kay, quite happy to let you take TKAMB. My choice is now His Dark Materials trilogy (Golden Compass/Subtle Knife/Amber Spyglass) by Phillip Pullman

Need 16 at least, so come on join in!

Ok Kay, quite happy to let you take TKAMB. My choice is now His Dark Materials trilogy (Golden Compass/Subtle Knife/Amber Spyglass) by Phillip Pullman

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. My all time favourite book but I suspect not that many people will have read it. For those that haven't, you should.

Oh go on then i will put forward a suggestion though Rusty has taken what would have been my choice.

So instead i will offer up for your perusal: The Van - Roddy Doyle.

Surely that's three books? Just saying or perhaps i can change mine to The Barrytown trilogy on that basis as "The Van" is included within them.

Surely that's three books? Just saying or perhaps i can change mine to The Barrytown trilogy on that basis as "The Van" is included within them.

If you want to mate. HDM is 3 books, but one continuous story - isn't the Barrytown Trilogy three seperate stories?

If you want to mate. HDM is 3 books, but one continuous story - isn't the Barrytown Trilogy three seperate stories?

It is but unlike HDM has been on sale as a trilogy since around 1992. (By the way i actually like HDM as well though).

Actually if you can change mine to the " The Barrytown trilogy" i would be very grateful. Think with "The Commitments" in there it will have more of a chance.

It is but unlike HDM has been on sale as a trilogy since around 1992. (By the way i actually like HDM as well though).

Actually if you can change mine to the " The Barrytown trilogy" i would be very grateful. Think with "The Commitments" in there it will have more of a chance.

Will do sunshine.

Problem with this competition is that you can only really vote if you have read the books. Presumably there wont be a long enough gap between rounds for the voters to read all the book in the competition.

Can we have a best looking formula 1 car of all time competition? That would be a lot easier.

Problem with this competition is that you can only really vote if you have read the books. Presumably there wont be a long enough gap between rounds for the voters to read all the book in the competition.

Can we have a best looking formula 1 car of all time competition? That would be a lot easier.

Mr Picky! Just pick a book!

Oooo, just remembered Alex Haley's Roots, thanks for the offer MK, but will go with that instead.

Back