• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stuart W

A word to the wise is enough
Ok, after 20 games we have now played 20, won 7, drawn 7 and lost 6 and sit in 9th place.
This time last year we had played 20, won 7, drawn 7 and lost 6 and were 10th in the table.
At this point in 2015/16 we were 8th, as we were in the promotion season of 2014/15.

Conclusion? We have it all to play for, especially with a number of our wounded players almost ready to return.
Without wishing to state the bleeding obvious, I think after 25 games we should have a much clearer idea of whether we can mount a serious promotion challenge this season ; as after next Saturday the following four games are against sides in the top 6 who have created a breakaway group at the top. It is vital we take at least 7 points from those 4 games (3 are at home), plus at least a draw at Rovers next week. Otherwise we could be heading for mid-table mediocrity.

Great Stat.

I would take 9th place in Division One, over 8th place in Division Two, all day long.

Ok, after 20 games we have now played 20, won 7, drawn 7 and lost 6 and sit in 9th place.
This time last year we had played 20, won 7, drawn 7 and lost 6 and were 10th in the table.
At this point in 2015/16 we were 8th, as we were in the promotion season of 2014/15.

Conclusion? We have it all to play for, especially with a number of our wounded players almost ready to return.
Without wishing to state the bleeding obvious, I think after 25 games we should have a much clearer idea of whether we can mount a serious promotion challenge this season ; as after next Saturday the following four games are against sides in the top 6 who have created a breakaway group at the top. It is vital we take at least 7 points from those 4 games (3 are at home), plus at least a draw at Rovers next week. Otherwise we could be heading for mid-table mediocrity.

This is all well and good.... But.

Last year we were two points from 5th and one point from 6th - Peterborough - who had a game in hand.

In 2015 we were two points from 6th and 3 points from 5th.

This year we are 8 points from 5th and 7 points from 6th but Charlton have a game in hand.

The challenge is almost impossible compared to the past two years. You don't just come back from that far without a charge.

This is all well and good.... But.

Last year we were two points from 5th and one point from 6th - Peterborough - who had a game in hand.

In 2015 we were two points from 6th and 3 points from 5th.

This year we are 8 points from 5th and 7 points from 6th but Charlton have a game in hand.

The challenge is almost impossible compared to the past two years. You don't just come back from that far without a charge.

Equally and on balance.....

This just shows how far we have come as a team. Were not even half way through the season!!

All we really know right now is that....We are in the top 9.

#Be Grateful

In other words.....#pointless stat

Equally and on balance.....

This just shows how far we have come as a team. Were not even half way through the season!!

All we really know right now is that....We are in the top 9.

#Be Grateful

In other words.....#pointless stat

How far we've come as a team.... Please. This side's goal at the start of the season was playoffs and a tilt at promotion. Brown, Martin and the team would have had that as the aim. With the signings, that was the intent. To suggest we've done better than last year would be a laughing joke. We should be higher but have failed to take our chances when we've had them and are in this position as a result. 9th is great, but for what this team aimed for, it isn't good enough.

Just as a matter of interest, what do you think our aim is now?

Current form :- :thumbsup:

1 Scunthorpe 6 6 0 0 13 4 +9 18 67%
2 Blackburn 6 4 2 0 15 7 +8 14 83%
3 Wigan Athletic 6 3 2 1 11 5 +6 11 67%
4 Southend Utd 6 3 2 1 6 3 +3 11 0%
5 Charlton 6 3 2 1 8 7 +1 11 50%
6 Walsall 6 3 1 2 10 6 +4 10 50%
7 Plymouth 6 3 1 2 5 6 -1 10 17%
8 Northampton 6 3 1 2 5 7 -2 10 50%

Current form :- :thumbsup:

1 Scunthorpe 6 600 13 4 +9 18 67%
2 Blackburn 6 420 15 7 +8 14 83%
3 Wigan Athletic 6 321 11 5 +6 11 67%
4 Southend Utd 6 321 6 3 +3 11 0%
5 Charlton 6 321 8 7 +1 11 50%
6 Walsall 6 312 10 6 +4 10 50%
7 Plymouth 6 312 5 6 -1 10 17%
8 Northampton 6 312 5 7 -2 10 50%

what exactly is the percentage at the end showing? Is it the proportion of the last 6 games against top 6 sides?

I think it's the percentage of games where a total of more than 2.5 goals are scored in any one game (for betting purposes).

As you can see, our last 6 games have produced a grand total of ZERO games where there's been more than 2.5 goals!

Blackburn, on the flip side, have had 5 of their last 6 matches produce 3 goals or more in the game.

Form surprisingly up there points wise, but again the worry is a) negative style producing minimum goals b) lack of goals from our vastly stocked forward line.

As with the whole of Brown’s tenure, if we concede a goal I never feel like we will take three points

Had a look at the league one table this morning and, it might be surprising to know that the two sides who are second and third have only scored two more goals than we have!

Had a look at the league one table this morning and, it might be surprising to know that the two sides who are second and third have only scored two more goals than we have!

Goals scored rarely count when it comes to league positions. That's why the best defences in L1 are occupying the top three positions.

Oldham have scored more than Shrewsbury. The good news is our current form on the goals conceded is really good, just 3 in 6. If we keep that form up then we will finish much higher.

Form surprisingly up there points wise, but again the worry is a) negative style producing minimum goals b) lack of goals from our vastly stocked forward line.

As with the whole of Brown’s tenure, if we concede a goal I never feel like we will take three points

Not really a surprise given that the stats are against that happening. In about 90% of matches the team that scores first doesn't lose.

Click here

On average between the 2014/15 - 2016/17 Premier League seasons, the team that scored the first goal won 70% of matches, with a draw resulting in 18.48% of games and a loss in just 11.52% of games.

I'm always puzzled when people say we play negative football.

I really don't see it, at all. Maybe it's just me.

Granted, we don't convert enough chances, but I can't remember the last time I saw a negative performance from us, with the sole intention of getting a 0-0 draw and trying to nick a goal.

Last edited:
All we can do as a team is win matches and be hard to beat. At home we are fine but our away form has been abysmal.

It's our goal difference that is crucial. Should we catch the pack above, and it's a big IF. We will need to start to keep regular clean sheets and score more goals.

Every year there are one or two that fall apart and one or two that go on a run. There is no reason we can't but it's simple. We will need to be very good in the coming weeks against 4 consecutive top 6 sides.

We as fans can play our part in the next two home games.

Beat brizzle and bradford and I will start believing.

looking at the table the top 6 have pulled away BUT all that means is that they have had good periods of form at the same time, the likelyhood of that continuing until the end of the season are minimal. looking at form it also looks like Shrewsbury might be doing something very similar to Scunthorpe did this time last year, quite how much they will be able to cling on will be interesting.

One thing that will be worth bearing in mind is that the top 6 can't all win every week, they do all have to play each other which gives us a chance to catch up. we just need to go on a decent run away from home.

Next six Home games
Bradford
Charlton
Shrewsbury
Fleetwood
Scunthorpe
Wigan

That's five of the current top six. We've already beaten the other one Blackburn. So.....
Our unbeaten home record will be severely tested!

Next six Home games
Bradford
Charlton
Shrewsbury
Fleetwood
Scunthorpe
Wigan

That's five of the current top six. We've already beaten the other one Blackburn. So.....
Our unbeaten home record will be severely tested!

Absolutely ....... I wonder about the possible state of the pitch as we head into winter and the grass either stops growing or only grows very slowly. I can't ever remember a season where the state of the pitch has been a cause for concern. Hopefully things will continue to improve. :thumbsup:

Absolutely ....... I wonder about the possible state of the pitch as we head into winter and the grass either stops growing or only grows very slowly. I can't ever remember a season where the state of the pitch has been a cause for concern. Hopefully things will continue to improve. :thumbsup:

Unlikely. A few heavy frosts will probably help to separate the now barely growing grass from the excessively sandy layer underneath.

How far we've come as a team.... Please. This side's goal at the start of the season was playoffs and a tilt at promotion. Brown, Martin and the team would have had that as the aim. With the signings, that was the intent. To suggest we've done better than last year would be a laughing joke. We should be higher but have failed to take our chances when we've had them and are in this position as a result. 9th is great, but for what this team aimed for, it isn't good enough.

That's a bit harsh, I feel. we've not had a settled back four, something I think is vital. Kiernan and Turner were signed for that but injuries prevented. Had we a starting back 4 of Coker, Kiernan, Turner, Demetriou all season (I know) we'd be challenging for the promotion places. That's my opinion.

Back