• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As I said , the idea is just embryonic right now and I'm not ready to make a full proposal to the F.A. , so pointing out that a Killer Whale would not be able to make a two footed challenge is helpful and shows me I've a long way to go.

So are you basing this animal system on legs and the ability to throw yourself into a dirty tackle.

If that's the case then I see this formulation as a better option

1. KILLER WHALE ( No legs, can't put in any sort of tackle - for very minor infringements ).
2. GOOSE ( 2 Legs but light, so a light two footed tackle - standard fouls ).
3. CAT ( 4 legs but a kitten really - persistent foul play ).
4. STOAT ( 4 Legs and can have a GOOSE - dangerous challenge )
5. CENTIPEDE ( Hundered footed challenge or denying a goal scoring opportunity ).

Foul rating 5.6
Dive rating 5.2
Artistic merit 5.5
Degree of difficulty 8.8

Seasonally adjust and add VAT = Yellow card!

As I said , the idea is just embryonic right now and I'm not ready to make a full proposal to the F.A. , so pointing out that a Killer Whale would not be able to make a two footed challenge is helpful and shows me I've a long way to go.

Killer whale, two footed? More like 35 yards.

Ok so a "coming together" of two players where one is marginally later than the other, is worth the same punishment as a blatant so-called "professional foul" where a player deliberately pulls a player's shirt or trips him up so as to halt his progress towards goal. I think not.

Yes both are punishable by a free kick

The disciplinary action is different though , the first one is not a cautionable offence , However this offence might be the last one in a series resulting in a caution for persistent foul play

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Funny isn't it? You come up with an idea about making the whole disciplinary system fairer, and because they haven't thought of it themselves, so people decide to take the pi.. out of it. Far better to moan and abuse incompetent officials eh?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the card system, the problem is the standard of officials. That's not going to change whether a coloured card is held up, a number etc - they're still going to make wrong decisions. Any new system would simply make things far more complicated for players, fans and referees alike.

Not sure your suggestion is the way forward Stuart, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

It's a bit mad that Inniss' first tackle can be deemed the same as kicking the ball away or taking your shirt off whilst celebrating. Having a points system would definitely solve that issue, but still relies heavily on the referees judgement and we've all seen how much influence that can still have.

Not sure your suggestion is the way forward Stuart, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

It's a bit mad that Inniss' first tackle can be deemed the same as kicking the ball away or taking your shirt off whilst celebrating. Having a points system would definitely solve that issue, but still relies heavily on the referees judgement and we've all seen how much influence that can still have.
At last. Somebody talking sense.

I'm happy with a 'grading system' , but if we're going to change the current system , then let's at least make it more fun.
So instead of numbers , I would propose animals , with my initial idea as follows :

1. GERBIL ( for very minor infringements ).
2. STOAT ( standard fouls ).
3. GOOSE ( persistent foul play ).
4. CROCODILE ( heavy / dangerous challenge )
5. KILLER WHALE ( two footed challenge or denying a goal scoring opportunity ).

As was mentioned , you need to reach 5 before being sent off.
So if you got a GOOSE , then you still have the safety net of a GERBIL before getting your marching orders.

Similarly , two STOATS would keep you in the game.

My idea does need some fine tuning and I'm open to any suggestions ( serious ones please ) as it's clear to me that by my reckoning someone could accumulate four GERBILS , but surely that in itself would by a GOOSE ?

Who would be a referee these days !

Genius and very funny! :smile::smile:

On a serious note, an amber card would be a good idea and also a better grading system for a straight red, rather than a mandatory 3 game ban, whether you've hacked someone's shins off or got a dodgy one from Andre Marriner.

Whatever the rules, it will still be down to the referee to interpret them and apply consistently. Changing the rules, especially making them more complex, would IMHO simply create a different set of points for us to argue about in the aftermath of a perceived injustice.

By way of example, a black card rule was introduced in Irish Gaelic football a couple of years ago to operate alongside the normal yellow and red cards. The intent was for the black card to be applied to "cynical" offences such as a deliberate trip, or abusing the ref. A player receiving a black card is sent off, but can be replaced by a substitute (unless he was already on a yellow, in which case no sub is allowed). So a black is somewhere between a yellow and a red.

Although I'm not an expert on gaelic football, I can see that this well-intentioned rule has caused a lot of confusion and can't find anyone who can clearly explain to me the boundaries between the different card types.

I'm not sure that the standard yellow/red scenario is broken enough to require fixing. Imagine giving last Saturday's referee another card colour to juggle with!

Back