• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

i was watching the Huddersfield v Millwall match last night. Lee clarke the hudders boss had terry mcdermet and derek frazackerly in the dugout with him. Loads of experince to call on. whereas tilly has a non existant dave webb to help him.

Got to keep tilly in my opinion

Excactly! I mean I fecking luv Webby, but he walz in over a month ago in this blaze of glory about "I'm only here to help steve tactically and give advice and maybe help out with a bit of coaching" Has anyone seen him? I reckon once "Ron" explained the financial state of the club and that perhaps there was not enough in the kitty to renumerate his expenses he bolted out the door......do you blame him!

Right Tilly,

here is a squad of 6 players at the most who are good enough and 13 others!
Oh by the way, I'm not going to pay you, oh and I have about 5 court hearings, we might get wound up! or put into administration.

You can't sign anyone by the way.

Oh and here are about 6 injuries, and continuous suspensions.

Can't you just play centre midfielders at the back ?

How about these youth team players aswell.

Oh and by the way, I'm just going to sack Paul Brush as well.

All the players are really ****** off!

It'll be fatal by the way if we go down!

So there you go Tilson my man, stay up, and you might be able to get 7 more on loan next season!

Yep, think that pretty much sums it up!
If Tilly is here next season, the man has the loyalty and patients of a saint!

I have never been one to advocate the removal of Tilly this season, due to financial constraints he, and the players, are working under, and it has, to a certain extent, excused a lot of what has taken place on the pitch.

That said, today, I can't remember a time I've been that irritated of late. It really was last chance saloon for us today, and yet neither the manager, or the players, showed any desire, fight, commitment to the cause, or will to win in a last ditch attempt to keep us in this league. That is unacceptable.

We have a depleted squad, and to be fair, back room too, but the XI that were out there today are FAR better than what they showed, and to throw the towel in after 16 minutes when Brighton scored is unforgiveable. I include the manager in that.

I'm not saying Tilly has become a bad manager over night, I'm not saying that he is wholly responsible for this, but he has to shoulder some of the responsibility, and it would be way too easy to blame every bad performance, every inconceivable defensive blunder, and every ill-disciplined challenene on our financial plight.

There are continued blind spots in our team, and have been for some time, way before the financial problems came to light - such as Tilson's complete inability to know how to organise a back four. Today, as like Tuesday, this was summed up - 15 minutes of complete domination, one attack from Brighton, one goal, game over. Why has that still not been resolved? We simply cannot be successful until it is.

Maybe it's a touch of the Gary Johnson syndrome at Bristol City - perhaps the same voice is not having the same effect on the players anymore. The biggest problem for me is the fact that Tilly seemed to have given up all hope of survival weeks ago, and that would have resinated with the players. Again today, we DESPERATELY needed 2 goals, and we take off one striker to replace him with another - why? Why not take off a defender and put 4 up front and see if that works, what do we have to lose?? That's either giving up or failing to grasp what is needed in that situation - it's almost substitution by numbers.

I also don't hold with this theory that no one else can manage our club apart from Tilly - Plenty have before, and plenty have had success! Yes, we could get another Wignall, but equally, we could get another Webby, or indeed, Tilly!

For the first time I am genuinely wondering if the right thing to do is a fresh outlook and pair of hands on the wheel. Might be an over reaction to what I witnessed this afternoon, but you just can't help wondering if Tilly and SUFC are right for each other anymore.

Yep, think that pretty much sums it up!
If Tilly is here next season, the man has the loyalty and patients of a saint!

Anyone that says this is Steve's fault really is absolutely mad!

We are all angry!

But how can you blame it on him!

He may have made some bad tactical mistakes !

But

how is it possible to take off a average player, and replace him with a below average player, and expect some end product! it isn't going to happen!

It's an impossible job!

Last edited:
How can you want to get rid of Tilly ! I don't see how this would make things better!
He hasn't been able to sign anyone, and he hasn't been getting paid!

Im not in the Tilly out camp, but he has signed, Foran, Paynter, Revell, Walker.

All big money for a club this size and all abysmal failures.

Im not in the Tilly out camp, but he has signed, Foran, Paynter, Revell, Walker.

All big money for a club this size and all abysmal failures.

You are right,

but

Paynter now seems to be a 25 goals a season man ( I have no idea how at all ) but the reason it didn't work out here, is because he was practically forced out with abuse! FACT!
Foran - Big mistake
Revell - Just didn't work
Walker - I thought he was alright to be fair to him!

He has signed so many good players aswell!

I can't be bothered to make a list! But sometimes it just doesn't work out for players at some clubs!

Depressing things that happened today;
1. Heads going down after goal against the run of play.
2. Brighton's no.19 criminally play acting.
3. Boring, predictable chants re: homosexuality & relegation
4. Usual emabarrasing Tilson interview
5. All results going against us
Season over.

You are right,

but

Paynter now seems to be a 25 goals a season man ( I have no idea how at all ) but the reason it didn't work out here, is because he was practically forced out with abuse! FACT!
Foran - Big mistake
Revell - Just didn't work
Walker - I thought he was alright to be fair to him!

He has signed so many good players aswell!

I can't be bothered to make a list! But sometimes it just doesn't work out for players at some clubs!

Very true but a manager has to sign players that will fit into the team and then get the best from them.Tilly hasnt. And yes he has signed some decent players, but I cant think of any big money ones that have done well. You can take chances on cheapies and if they work out you've doen well and if they fail no one notices.

It isn't buying strikers that's the problem, it's using them correctly.

It's fair to say that, while Paynter was here, Tilson had next to no idea on how to use him effectively and integrate him within the side.

If you don't get the midfielders anywhere near the strikers, you are not going to present them with continous Paynter-type goals.
Defensive team that can't defend.

If I don't see Tilly having a coronary on the touchline against Stockport I am not renewing my season ticket.

Last edited:
Listened to every word, does'nt change anything. I said on this very board last week that our front two that played against Brentford and today were the poorest I had seen for at least eight years, without doubt, but like he said he has not got much to choose from as he! What player in there right mind would want to come to the hall next season knowing that they might not get paid? Ron might as well stuck a big sign up saying " Loanees and old has beens welcome" because we cant pay anyone else descent wages!
For me 2G a weeks is a pittance, i suppose you are the same yourself.

I have never been one to advocate the removal of Tilly this season, due to financial constraints he, and the players, are working under, and it has, to a certain extent, excused a lot of what has taken place on the pitch.

That said, today, I can't remember a time I've been that irritated of late. It really was last chance saloon for us today, and yet neither the manager, or the players, showed any desire, fight, commitment to the cause, or will to win in a last ditch attempt to keep us in this league. That is unacceptable.

We have a depleted squad, and to be fair, back room too, but the XI that were out there today are FAR better than what they showed, and to throw the towel in after 16 minutes when Brighton scored is unforgiveable. I include the manager in that.

I'm not saying Tilly has become a bad manager over night, I'm not saying that he is wholly responsible for this, but he has to shoulder some of the responsibility, and it would be way too easy to blame every bad performance, every inconceivable defensive blunder, and every ill-disciplined challenene on our financial plight.

There are continued blind spots in our team, and have been for some time, way before the financial problems came to light - such as Tilson's complete inability to know how to organise a back four. Today, as like Tuesday, this was summed up - 15 minutes of complete domination, one attack from Brighton, one goal, game over. Why has that still not been resolved? We simply cannot be successful until it is.

Maybe it's a touch of the Gary Johnson syndrome at Bristol City - perhaps the same voice is not having the same effect on the players anymore. The biggest problem for me is the fact that Tilly seemed to have given up all hope of survival weeks ago, and that would have resinated with the players. Again today, we DESPERATELY needed 2 goals, and we take off one striker to replace him with another - why? Why not take off a defender and put 4 up front and see if that works, what do we have to lose?? That's either giving up or failing to grasp what is needed in that situation - it's almost substitution by numbers.

I also don't hold with this theory that no one else can manage our club apart from Tilly - Plenty have before, and plenty have had success! Yes, we could get another Wignall, but equally, we could get another Webby, or indeed, Tilly!

For the first time I am genuinely wondering if the right thing to do is a fresh outlook and pair of hands on the wheel. Might be an over reaction to what I witnessed this afternoon, but you just can't help wondering if Tilly and SUFC are right for each other anymore.

b o llo cks. we got a Tilly we DONT need another, we need some contracted players that he wants and a chairman that will PAY them . And back the manager.

First person to go should be Steve Tilson, Why because he manages with no passion and is too laid back, get fed up with him just standing there arms folded while it all blows up in front of him, want to see a manager shouting, screaming running down the touch line and showing the same passion as us supporters, but Steve (no emotion) Tilson just stands there. Oh I forgot he does move when he makes a sub with 15 minutes to go when it’s too late. If only he showed the passion of us supporters.
Steve does not know how to motivate or change tactics and judging by his radio interviews gave up months ago, seemed to except relegation with the negative thoughts being passed on to the players. If Steve had more steel he would have told Ron what to do with his job when Paul was sacked, but the trouble with Steve he knows however bad we are he has a job for life??????
And for those that feel he is God he was a very average player who as manager got us promoted, thanks to being given Freddy Eastwood by Grays ,who without we would be where we are now in Division 2

Congratulations. In seven posts, you've managed to spit out the biggest pile of bollocks I've ever seen on ShrimperZone.

I can only hope that this was just the result of serious frustration and a couple of pints of throat candy, because if it's genuine then it's really concerning.

You want a manager who shouts? Is that it? Is that the mystical formula that will bring success? Shouting? For ****'s sake. Shall we just hire Basil Fawlty?

Why do people believe that a failure to control your emotions denotes some kind of super power? It was like this with Sven. "We've got to get rid of him, he doesn't shout!" Yeah, let's get someone more emotional. Like Keegan, maybe? Or Peter Reid. That'll work.

As for the claim that Tilson was gifted two successive promotions by Freddy Eastwood, that's just complete arse. A fine striker he may be, but someone had to spot him, someone had to take a chance on him and someone had to keep him ticking over, reining in his infantile brain for as long as possible before his ego eventually ran riot. If football was as easy as you make it sound, why didn't anyone else sign him from Grays? And why don't other clubs just sign one good striker and then forget about the rest of the team?

BECAUSE THAT'S NOT HOW FOOTBALL WORKS!

I'm not saying that Tilson is God, but the man has had his squad sold from underneath him, he's been given no funds, he's seen the team that he has served for the better part of his adult life up in the High Court on numerous occasions and, if I were him, I'd be pretty downcast in interviews too.

Do you know something? When we were doing well, he was sounded out by several big Championship sides. I have it on good authority that Norwich, WBA, Nottingham Forest, Coventry and Ipswich all made enquiries as to his availability. He turned them all down because he said he would never break a contract with Southend. Personally, I think he was absolutely mad. He'll never get those chances again.

And you want him sacked because he doesn't shout?

Christ.

PS - Welcome to SZ. I'm sure you're lovely really and that this was just the result of having paid £25 to watch Southend lose. Again. Nothing personal.

When will people realise how lucky we are to have Tilson? He's working with absolutely nothing, what chance does he have?

I want Steve here next year, I want him for the year after, and the one after that. I want him to be the man who takes us to Forsetts farm, and the manager who gets us back into League One and then the Championship.

If Ron is to believed then in a few years Tilly will have financial backing again and a decent chance of getting us back up the leagues.

Keep faith in Tilson.

Sorry i thought this site was a way of everyone to express their views

Big question is, if steve was so good why has no other club ever wanted him ???????

Who has said you aren't entitled to express your view? Of course you are entitled to it, and others are just as entitled to their view of your view.

Why is it that when someone makes a controversial post and is challenged they so often react by claiming that they are being denied a right to their view, instead of just debating the points raised?

Back