• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to sell Freddy Eastwood

Okay, so don't shoot me down in flames, I'm just raising a possibility...

As I left the stadium last night, my initial thought was "Well thank God we still have Freddy Eastwood. Imagine how rubbish we'd be without that one apparent ray of light!".

Until I considered how it might just be that, while we've given them time to step up to the higher level, some of our team simply aren't up to the task.

The question for the day then is this:

If we were able to sell Freddy for £3.5m and use all of that money to strengthen the team across the board, would we be stronger or weaker for the exercise?

It would depend on who we could get in for that kind of money.
To be honest I don't think 4 £750k players could get us out of the mess we're in just now
sad.gif

Had exactly the same thought though last night as I found out it was FT!

I was thinking exactly the same thing too...

Maybe it is time to do him, and possibly us a favour..

£3 or £4m to strengthen the side should be enough to keep us up..

Either we hold onto Fred and Tilly gets several quality loanees in (easier said than done)..

Or...

We offload Fred in Jan, and attempt to strengthen the team as a whole (risky business, when we aren't exactly the most attractive team to join)

It's a tough decision and I'm glad I don't have to make it.

Personally I am totally opposed to selling the one player who has a bit of quality in the team. His goals could be imperative in keeping us up and I personally would never sell him unless he wants to go.

down.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Nov. 01 2006,08:59)]Okay, so don't shoot me down in flames, I'm just raising a possibility...

As I left the stadium last night, my initial thought was "Well thank God we still have Freddy Eastwood. Imagine how rubbish we'd be without that one apparent ray of light!".

Until I considered how it might just be that, while we've given them time to step up to the higher level, some of our team simply aren't up to the task.

If we were able to sell Freddy for £3.5m and use all of that money to strengthen the team across the board, would we be stronger or weaker for the exercise?
Rather keep Freddy than risk getting in a load more Clarke and Paynters!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,09:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Nov. 01 2006,08:59)]Okay, so don't shoot me down in flames, I'm just raising a possibility...

Rather keep Freddy than risk getting in a load more Clarke and Paynters!
Yep, I hear that Wiggy but as you've been quick to point out, some of the team haven't stepped up to the new level. What if losing Freddy means we can bring in better players that keep the Paynters and Clarkes out of the team?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 01 2006,09:11)]Personally I am totally opposed to selling the one player who has a bit of quality in the team. His goals could be imperative in keeping us up and I personally would never sell him unless he wants to go.

down.gif
I agree with Dave...

Sound logic from hank, i would be sad to see eastwood go, but we need at least three players , See what we can cobble together till january sell freddy for three mill and go and but the players needed. But and it a big but, losing the best striker in this division could spell the end anyway, tough time for tilly coming up

Its only fair t freddy that we sell him. He has given everything for this team and deserves to be playing at a higher level.

However, if we got £3.5 million, I doubt it would be spent on the team. As far as I can see Ron Martin will need the money for the new stadium.

I think Ron has the financing sorted for the stadium without worrying about Freddys fee.

The problem is who are we going to buy ?

Selling our only real goal threat would mean a big chunk of the money would have to go towards replacing him.

The rest would have to go onto 2 or 3 decent signings, but who thats worth 300k+ would come to a club destined for League One ?

Personally if we sold Freddy and bought Billy Sharp and a quality midfielder ( Is that guy from Doncaster still there ? Cant remember his name) then Id think that would be ok.

However I cant see someone of Sharp's calibre coming here and even if he did would we be able to pay decent wages ?

Theres no point in having millions in the bank if you cant attract the right players or pay their wages.

[b said:

I have to fully agree, sometimes a club with one prized asset is much better off selling that prized asset to revamp the rest of the squad. Provided we could definitely get better players in QUICKLY I think selling Freddy in January would not only be best for his career but also our chances of staying in this division.

The problem is Tilly hasn't exactly covered himself in glory when he's spent big money this season and if that trend was to continue if Freddy was sold we'd have wasted the biggest asset we've had since Collymore....and we'd be back in League One.

Even if we got lots of money for Freddie cant seeing us attracting anyone who is any good at value for money. At the start of the year when everyone was optimistic we couldnt do it so there is even less chance now we heading downwards. Freddie will be off January and bet he cant wait but who will we get to replace him and still have other money to strengthen elsewhere. Tilly hasnt so far excelled when it comes to spending money on players as well.

Keep Freddy and just focus on getting some good loanee's in! Also with the money made from the Manchester United game I am sure Ron can give Tilly a nice lump sum to spend in january!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ Nov. 01 2006,11:17)]Even if we got lots of money for Freddie cant seeing us attracting anyone who is any good at value for money.
Lets face it when Freddy goes we won't be able to replace him with anyone as good BUT we'll be able to sign a few players who are better than what we've got in other positions which will probably see us in a better position to survive the drop.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 01 2006,11:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ Nov. 01 2006,11:17)]Even if we got lots of money for Freddie cant seeing us attracting anyone who is any good at value for money.
Lets face it when Freddy goes we won't be able to replace him with anyone as good BUT we'll be able to sign a few players who are better than what we've got in other positions which will probably see us in a better position to survive the drop.
Spose we cant sign any worse players but I am concerned that we dont have the pulling power for anyone decent enough without paying stupid money especially if we are rock bottom in January with Div.1 beckoning.

Sell our best player when we're bottom of the league - ingenius! He's the only player in our squad capable of getting over 20 goals this season, and goals win matches. Loan players is what we need, starting with getting Mitchell Cole back!

One thing to consider is that IF we did sell Freddy who would want to come to a club who just sold off their biggest asset? We're struggerling enough to get players in as it stands, it's hardly showing much optimism for the future is it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Nov. 01 2006,16:10)]and goals win matches.
Unfortunately that hasn't been the case this season though.

We're leaking at least three in every game - even a 20+ goal a season player can't stop teams losing if they're doing that, as we're finding out currently.

So if he does go how much is he worth and who would you want him to go to?
I reckon about £3m but Id hate it if he turned up at West ham or Tottenham

Back