• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time to Strengthen the Squad ?

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
This has nothing to do with a promotion push. I've said enough times on here it would worry me not one bit if we even missed out on the play-offs, though I'm sure the club could do with the money.

Injuries and suspensions are bound to be a factor in the next few weeks.

Tilly seems to have an uncanny knack of getting the right people in on loan. IMO we could do with a central midfielder, a creative midfielder and central defensive cover. At the very least this would keep one or two existing first teamers on their toes.

Offloading Drewe must have created some room in the budget.

Thoughts ?

I believe we should strengthen the squad because we're light on numbers and... well... what squad shouldn't be strengthened if possible?

The departure of Drewe has freed up some wages, but did Drewe go for a fee? Anyone know how much?

I don't think it's realistic to get a quality outfield loanee in to be a squad member. I think you've really got to offer first team football to tempt a decent player in on loan.

As for position? Well, I think we've got depth in attack and central midfield, but we could look at a player who can play wide... or maybe defense. Whilst we have good players in these positions at the moment, you have to question our strength in depth should an injury / ban come into play.

I believe Drewe left on a free, which is a shame as im sure we could of got a few quid for him!.

I also believe we need to strengthen for the promotion push and the fact we are very light on numbers.

I too agree a creative spark is needed in the centre of the park, Devaney from Cheltenham would be nice!. Also maybe another centre half wouldnt go a miss!.

Additions are definately needed though, if we are to achieve anything this season IMO.

smile.gif

I would be shocked if we got a fee for Drewe. The most likely scenario is that we actually paid Rushden to take him off our hands.

The most important thing is that we've got a substantial liability off our books.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 14 2005,11:27)]I would be shocked if we got a fee for Drewe. The most likely scenario is that we actually paid Rushden to take him off our hands.

The most important thing is that we've got a substantial liability off our books.
at times you are a prize plum

ghostface.gif

I'm always up for strengthening our squad at any time, as long as the right player becomes available at a cost that fits within our budget.

Every squad in the world could do with strengthening! It's what managers are partly paid to do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 14 2005,11:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 14 2005,11:27)]I would be shocked if we got a fee for Drewe. The most likely scenario is that we actually paid Rushden to take him off our hands.

ghostface.gif
Why? Its a pretty common situation in football.

Southend clearly don't want to be paying £1,500 a week (or whatever Drewe was on) for a player languishing on the bench for the reserves.

Rushden aren't in a particularly strong financial position and were struggling to come up with the money to pay Drewe's wages. Drewe is unlikely to want to take a pay cut. The solution is for Southend to pay (or contribute) for Rushden to take over Drewe's contract. Either way Southend remove a liability (Drewe's wages) from their accounts. I would guess that such arrangements are about as common as transfer fees these days.

definately need a wide player, someone with pace. Pettefer should move into the middle with Maher and Bentley should take his place on the bench.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 14 2005,12:30)]
[b said:
[b said:

ghostface.gif

Southend clearly don't want to be paying £1,500 a week (or whatever Drewe was on) for a player languishing on the bench for the reserves.

Rushden aren't in a particularly strong financial position and were struggling to come up with the money to pay Drewe's wages. Drewe is unlikely to want to take a pay cut. The solution is for Southend to pay (or contribute) for Rushden to take over Drewe's contract. Either way Southend remove a liability (Drewe's wages) from their accounts. I would guess that such arrangements are about as common as transfer fees these days.
Yeah I know

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ Feb. 14 2005,13:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Feb. 14 2005,11:10)]. I've said enough times on here it would worry me not one bit if we even missed out on the play-offs,
Why Orm? What's your rationale?
Don't get me wrong nothing would give me more pleasure than getting promoted but imho we certainly haven't got what I would call a 1st division squad. We don't have the benefit of a big squad and Prior and Edwards are getting on a bit, but are doing a great job at this level.

There is a clear difference between the two divisions. Luton showed us that and Swindon, despite the result, were a better footballing team but were hustled out of the (one-off) game.

Given the last few seasons it is abundantly evident that we have made progress this season. The fans, some old, some new are returning and not just for one-off hyped games such as last Friday's. If the football is good enough people will come to watch it. That 0-0 vs Scunthorpe didn't necessarily see the best football in the world but it was action packed with incidents.

Another year consolidating and, most importantly, building on what we have with some more shrewd pre-season signings and the possibility of a fit Jay Smith returning to the squad would do me very nicely.

The play-offs would be very nice financially.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but imho we certainly haven't got what I would call a 1st division squad.

Thats alright, IF we get promoted we won't be in the first division though. Only in the old second division/League One.

tricky.. do you go for promotion to div three.. or continue to build in a nice steady manner..  personnally i think a medium sized gamble on automatic promotion is called for.. friday night showed the potential fan base on the back of any kind of sucsess and there is a very good chance of survival in the first season a league up, what with momentum and being an unknown and etc etc and other boring type stuff.. to not take a pop at the oppertunity is a tad wasteful., there is no gaurantee that the curent team with a few 'sensible' additions will perform next year..  there is no gaurantee that the best players will stay with the club.. if promotion is on you really have to have a 'realistic gamble' at making it.. if that means a couple of loan players or a new signing or twp then thats what you have to do ..  to not give automatic promotion a shot is somewhat wasteful when there is no way of knowing how your squad will perform next year..  if the chance is on you have to have a go at it..

What is success?

Finishing 20th in division 3 or finishing 5th in division 4.

I think the good(?) people of Southend who vote with their feet will say the latter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 14 2005,15:00)]What is success?

Finishing 20th in division 3 or finishing 5th in division 4.

I think the good(?) people of Southend who vote with their feet will say the latter.
Success to me is a financially secure club. Having experienced the sheer dread and real possibility of the club going under a few years ago I never want to go through that again.

So a well run club off the pitch that operates within it's means has to be the first priority, if we get that right then success on the field will follow. It may take a while, but will be built on solid foundations so will be more sustainable than gambling our financial future on short term success.

finishing mid table in div 3 next year?... if you want to win every game go down to the conf.. out side of barnet and hereford you'll **** it.. C********r got their biggest crowds for years in their two season down there

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Feb. 14 2005,14:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ Feb. 14 2005,13:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Feb. 14 2005,11:10)]. I've said enough times on here it would worry me not one bit if we even missed out on the play-offs,
Why Orm? What's your rationale?
Don't get me wrong nothing would give me more pleasure than getting promoted but imho we certainly haven't got what I would call a 1st division squad. We don't have the benefit of a big squad and Prior and Edwards are getting on a bit, but are doing a great job at this level.  

There is a clear difference between the two divisions. Luton showed us that and Swindon, despite the result, were a better footballing team but were hustled out of the (one-off) game.

Given the last few seasons it is abundantly evident that we have made progress this season. The fans, some old, some new are returning and not just for one-off hyped games such as last Friday's. If the football is good enough people will come to watch it. That 0-0 vs Scunthorpe didn't necessarily see the best football in the world but it was action packed with incidents.

Another year consolidating and, most importantly, building on what we have with some more shrewd pre-season signings and the possibility of a fit Jay Smith returning to the squad would do me very nicely.

The play-offs would be very nice financially.
ORM... my thoughts exactly the last time we were pushing for promotion and, indeed, won promotion from Division 4.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Feb. 14 2005,13:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but imho we certainly haven't got what I would call a 1st division squad.

Thats alright, IF we get promoted we won't be in the first division though. Only in the old second division/League One.
Bollox - if you want to be like that we would be promoted to Division Three
upside.gif

Next year the remaining divisions are all getting named to make it clearer. We're now going to have the Premier$hite, The Championship, the Runnersupship and the Sinkingship.

Wasn't Div 1,2,3,4 so much clearer. (oops sorry Stid - Division Three South
biggrin.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Feb. 14 2005,12:30)]
[b said:
[b said:

ghostface.gif

Question is, are players assets (an entitlement to future economic benefit) or liabilities?

Back