• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not surprised about Timlin as he was not Ron's favourite man, to say the least. I think he knew his time might be up after PB was sacked. The last game v Bristol R he sat on the away side of the directors box with AB and Neil Harris, not saying he is going to Millwall he was just making a statement.

As it happened with the low sun due to the 5:30 KO meant you could hardly see from those seats so after about 10 minutes all 3 moved over and up with the Southend players.

As RHB said I will remember him for that performance v Stevenage with his scrum cap on just 4 days after an injury which for some players we have had would have meant missing Pre-season in July.

Superb servant to our club. Not many have showed the same passion or loyalty --- how many in the future will try to "run off a broken leg " ?

I hope he gets the move to his beloved Millwall as player coach maybe?

Well done to all those idiots who abused him during his spell helping out at left back. As much as any player expects a certain level of " banter " - the **** that he had to put up with was unforgivable + unforgetable

Last edited by a moderator:
As always we have to look at the final squad - three we are still negotiating with are from a purely playing point of view we need to keep- Oxley, Turner, Cox
They will not be easy to replace

I’m gutted to see Michael Timlin leave. The man has literally shed blood for our cause and players that love the club and show whole hearted commitment like him and Adam Barrett don’t grow on trees.

However sentiment aside, his powers were beginning to fade. His passing hasn’t always been shocking and it’s easy to forget that. When he first arrived on loan and in the early days after signing permanently he was a key part of our midfield. Numerous teammates have come and gone and if rumours are to be believed his beloved Millwall came in for him at one stage and still he remained.

I honestly think back to our League Two playoff campaign and feel that Tims almost single handedly dragged us through and into the final and it was great to see him take a pen in the shootout.

But as I said above, despite some decent form recently alongside Dru Yearwood, overall we probably could spend his wages better on a younger central midfield player who could offer more to the side.

Chris Powell has to block out all sentiment and focus on value for money from his budget. Also if his master plan is for us to play quick attacking football then having someone in your midfield who constantly gives the ball away with poor passing is not going to work. So whilst I’m sure Tims and fans alike see him leave with a heavy heart, maybe the time is right and I fully expect him to sign for Swindon. He’s played there before and he knows Brown values what he brings to the side.

Fortune I feel is more replaceable to be honest. A great target man with good feet and yes if he was 5 years younger wouldn’t have been playing in League One. It was quite incredible seeing him putting in some outstanding performances at 36.

But if you think back to any game we were chasing in the last couple of years and Marco was on the bench, how often could he be the man to change things in our favour. Yes, there’s the argument for his hold up play bringing midfielders into the game and attacks building that way. But surely any opposition manager worth their salt would just see him come on and tell their defenders to focus on tracking runners from midfield. I think forwards that can hold the ball up well in League One and Two are fairly common and I’m not that worried about a replacement being found.

But our aim has to be to try and find one in the Barry Corr mould who will also trouble the scorers.

Players come and go every season and there’s always a couple that we don’t expect to leave and under Ron Martin we’ve always competed. Even last season which has been our poorest for years we still had a slight sniff of the playoffs at one stage. So these players leaving will be a shock for some but we will get new players in so don’t panic just yet.

In Powell We Trust.

Even last season which has been our poorest since 2015/16 we still had a slight sniff of the playoffs at one stage

Edited for accuracy. This was our second best season since returning to League One and probably had more genuinely memorable games than the promotion season. A top half finish in this league represents a good season in my opinion, given our resources.

I think the clue to these two being released is in the last line of the second post on the AGM thread. Basically age.

Edited for accuracy. This was our second best season since returning to League One and probably had more genuinely memorable games than the promotion season. A top half finish in this league represents a good season in my opinion, given our resources.

Agreed that a top half finish in the end was a commendable achievement. My point was more that at one stage we looked doomed for the trap door which makes our final position even more outstanding. Stats don’t tell the full story, I felt lower than for many years following Southend at points last season. Turning up for game after game knowing defeat was almost inevitable. I like to think that’s there’s not something in the players not playing for a manager thing. But the turnaround under Powell has been remarkable and how those same players could thrash numerous sides 4-0 at the end of the season is beyond me. Massive underachievement early on me thinks.

I think the clue to these two being released is in the last line of the second post on the AGM thread. Basically age.

I would think it is mainly down to wages. CP knows what he wants to do this summer and has worked out that he can't make it work in financial terms with two of his "squad" players on such high wages (and the high wages are due in large part to age, granted). For the money we would be shelling out on these two, we could probably bring in three younger players. Football-wise it is a risk as these are two very steady, reliable players.

Iam sure Chris Powell know the players he wants to join the club And there is time for him and released funds for him to make the right players come in to the club Only time will tell . In chris we trust .

Sorry to see both Timlin and Fortune depart. Both have shown themselves to be true and dedicated professionals. But given their respective ages and Powell's desire to rebuild his squad, it comes as no real surprise.

I had the privilege of spending some time with Michael at one of the recent Sponsorship evenings. A very likeable man, who clearly knows and loves his football. I wish him all the very best for the future in the coaching/management role that he is looking to secure.

Thank you Michael Timlin for everything you have done for our club.

Michael Timlin in front of the Roots Hall fans.
cOVJ3N.jpg

Michael Timlin bleeds for his club 14th May 2015 @ Roots Hall
[video=youtube;ZtWxh4SC1uI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWxh4SC1uI[/video]

Michael Timlin recovers to take part of this great Shrimpers day 23rd May 2015 @ Wembley.

[video=youtube;9O2iaJqVxUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2iaJqVxUk[/video]

Both good professionals but both on the wrong side of 30. Powell will get some good players in Im sure.

Sad to see both go, Timlin especially. A great servant to the club who gave his all.
Football can be cruel and , Phil Brown excepted, has little sympathy for age.

But onwards and upwards under CP is the aim and there can be little room for sentiment (just look at the last days of Sir Billy on the SUFC History thread !)

Best wishes to Michael and Marc.

Sad to see both go, Timlin especially. A great servant to the club who gave his all.
Football can be cruel and , Phil Brown excepted, has little sympathy for age.

But onwards and upwards under CP is the aim and there can be little room for sentiment (just look at the last days of Sir Billy on the SUFC History thread !)

Best wishes to Michael and Marc.

Little room for sentiment indeed but let's hope fans don't forget it works the other way if/when Cox/Oxley decide to better themselves.

Sad to see both go. Michael Timlin was a loyal servant who literally bled for the team. Marc-Antoine Fortuné was a revelation at 36 years of age, one of the best shielders and turners with the ball that I've ever seen. I think he could still have played an important part as an impact sub for us next season but I guess everyone's time is up eventually.

Let's hope that CP can find younger replacements for them both - or maybe Norman Wabo is in his mind?

Sad to see Timlin go, a great servant to the club and many memorable moments. Marc-Antoine (is there a french accent remaining?) has defied his years but in the end, time catches up with everyone. CP, clearly a man on a mission, which sentiment is not going to get in the way of.

""Unfortunately with what I’m trying to plan it’s been very hard for me to keep Michael and Marco. It’s disappointing because they both did very well for me in the 18 games but I’ve got plans for the future."

This must be the biggest clear out since Tilson's departure/Sturrock's arrival.............next season will be interesting. Is Roots Hall preparing the ground for something great? :smile:

I hope it's not too big a rebuild. Sure Sir Chris wants to put his stamp on things and get his players in, but our form in the second half of last season suggests we weren't far away from the right blend.

I’m gutted to see Michael Timlin leave. The man has literally shed blood for our cause and players that love the club and show whole hearted commitment like him and Adam Barrett don’t grow on trees.

However sentiment aside, his powers were beginning to fade. His passing hasn’t always been shocking and it’s easy to forget that. When he first arrived on loan and in the early days after signing permanently he was a key part of our midfield. Numerous teammates have come and gone and if rumours are to be believed his beloved Millwall came in for him at one stage and still he remained.

I honestly think back to our League Two playoff campaign and feel that Tims almost single handedly dragged us through and into the final and it was great to see him take a pen in the shootout.

But as I said above, despite some decent form recently alongside Dru Yearwood, overall we probably could spend his wages better on a younger central midfield player who could offer more to the side.

Chris Powell has to block out all sentiment and focus on value for money from his budget. Also if his master plan is for us to play quick attacking football then having someone in your midfield who constantly gives the ball away with poor passing is not going to work. So whilst I’m sure Tims and fans alike see him leave with a heavy heart, maybe the time is right and I fully expect him to sign for Swindon. He’s played there before and he knows Brown values what he brings to the side.

Fortune I feel is more replaceable to be honest. A great target man with good feet and yes if he was 5 years younger wouldn’t have been playing in League One. It was quite incredible seeing him putting in some outstanding performances at 36.

But if you think back to any game we were chasing in the last couple of years and Marco was on the bench, how often could he be the man to change things in our favour. Yes, there’s the argument for his hold up play bringing midfielders into the game and attacks building that way. But surely any opposition manager worth their salt would just see him come on and tell their defenders to focus on tracking runners from midfield. I think forwards that can hold the ball up well in League One and Two are fairly common and I’m not that worried about a replacement being found.

But our aim has to be to try and find one in the Barry Corr mould who will also trouble the scorers.

Players come and go every season and there’s always a couple that we don’t expect to leave and under Ron Martin we’ve always competed. Even last season which has been our poorest for years we still had a slight sniff of the playoffs at one stage. So these players leaving will be a shock for some but we will get new players in so don’t panic just yet.

In Powell We Trust.
You might have seen good passing if the pitch had been solid and flat Powell could come unstuck as its not been easy to find good young players when we sell all the good players and Martin I have no confidence in on a note how the hell are we going to afford 400000 rent at the new grounnd

Back